500 Series

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
I have been out of the recording thing for a while and now I'm beginning my research for items I might like to fill my future studio with. Seems like these 500 series are a great idea; being able to have a custom selection of modular pre amps to be used in a variety of applications. Imagine that, modular pre amps! Someone need to design a guitar amp with this concept...oh wait.

MarcoR said:
I have been out of the recording thing for a while and now I'm beginning my research for items I might like to fill my future studio with. Seems like these 500 series are a great idea; being able to have a custom selection of modular pre amps to be used in a variety of applications. Imagine that, modular pre amps! Someone need to design a guitar amp with this concept...oh wait.

I'm not a 500 series fan and greatly prefer the full size rack component. The biggest issue is the power supply: Once you start loading up a 6 or 10 or whatever 500 rack, you're limiting power each preamp, compressor, EQ, etc. in that rack. Each component is not receiving the same power supply as its rackmounted or console channel brethren.

So basically, a 500 series Vintech 573 won't sound exactly like a full powered rackmounted x73i. Same goes for API, Pacifica, etc.

Furthermore, my advice is to find a preamp that you love and record everything with that preamp. This "mixing and matching" thing makes for an uncohesive sound, IMO.

If you go back to the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and even early 90's, people were recording and mixes on ONE console. They weren't tracking guitars on a Neve, then tracking drums on an EMI, then mixing on an API.

One console. Same theory applies to today's digital recording. Good luck!

Mts of the recording world...maybe where Bruce got the idea. Engineers love these things. I have an a2d, which is two 312 pres, and absolutely love it. They also have small racks and lunchboxes too.

As I work for Aphex, I thought I'd point out that we make quite a few excellent mic pres.
My favorite is called CHANNEL. I use it for everything I do.
http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/channel/
It has both analog and digital outputs plus an instrument input for D.I. tracks.
The bass tracks I get out of this thing direct are amazing!
I use a Miktek CV4 tube mic with it for vocals and acoustic guitar and I couldn't be happier.
http://www.miktekaudio.com/products/cv4-large-diaphragm-multi-pattern-tube-condenser
I use EV RE-320 mics for my amps.
http://www.electrovoice.com/re320/
It's like having an RE-20 and an SM-57 in one mic!

We also have a whole line of 500 series modules that we'll be debuting at the AES show in October. Three of them are mic pres.

More cool, new toys coming for NAMM too!
2013 will be a big comeback year for Aphex.

Latest posts