AFD100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Whatta you all think aboud an AFD100 module? Ive been gassing hard for this amp but cant seem to raise the 3-4 grand necessary to acquire one so i am going to see if robs stance on such a module has changed any since i first asked him. What would really want is something tuned in the neighborhood of the AFD100 and with only 1 switch and AFD or #34 switch.. Hopefully I can convince him.. Some people have said that slash's afd tone can be achieved with a 59RR or other marshall mods and ive tried hard to get it but there has always been something off, so maybe something dedicated to that tone can be the answer!
-mp-

Not sure why i am encouraging your GAS once again BUT first things first, are you using an LP type guitar with duncan Alnico II's? The voicing of those pups will def. factor in.

Next, the SL2X (couple parts diff from SL) module will get you close enough. I'm sure Rob's current offering can get you there (maybe even more so) if you dial it in properly. It is unfortunate but a lot of the time the hands of the player can get an amp to sound closer than the amp itself. By that I mean Malmsteen sounds like himself through a **** practice amp and so does Aldrich. They set their EQ roughly the same way and go from there. Look for Slash's EQ and go nuts. As for the switching between the #34 and #36/39 mod, that is interesting but personally, I moved on from the #34. So nasally and scratchy and if you don't watch how you set the amp, you'll get annoying highs in your leads. This isn't to say that the amp doesn't matter because it does but also factor into the equation that you will not replicate the exact recording chain for that album and that is probably what you are chasing as well..we've all been there. I chased it for years until I realized I could get close enough and that i'd be better off learning Slash's leads!

My 2 cents worth.

Matt: I don't want to discourage you or turn away a sale, but there is a reason that this module request makes little sense. There is NOTHING going on inside those amps that several existing modules can't cover well (and many of the circuits are very similar if not identical already). If it's an album tone you are chasing, you now have an entire different set of variables added from the recording process. Anyone worth their salt in a studio experience will tell you the sound out of an amp is rarely that close to what is on the final album. A lot goes on between those two points.

Kapo gave some great advice. It's very likely factors outside your amp that are the missing percentage you seek. Look at factors like your hands, chops, guitar, pickups and speakers. These are a far bigger part of the equation than what faceplate is on a module. Although if you want a AFD faceplate installed on a Brahma #39 to make you feel better for placebo effect.... :wink:

Hehe rob yeah that might make me feel a bit better... Its just a tone that is very unique sounding to me, I have never heard anything like it from anyone but slash.. but if its a waste of my time and money, And I completely trust your insight and opinions so ill let it go and hopefully that 10 Band EQ that i ordered saturday can get something in the AFD area running in the loop of my TSL:)
-mp-

Don't worry, Slash wasn't even able to ever get the tones he got on that album again.... The Illusion stuff was ok as was the #34 mod but it was also more nasally and the production on that album wasn't as good in my opinion. The drums sound horrible on UYI I and II. So over produced and Sorum's style is so cookie cutter. Hated that. Totally diff topic though. Work on your chops and get alnico II's. That's half the battle.

zepplin490 said:
Some people have said that slash's afd tone can be achieved with a 59RR or other marshall mods and ive tried hard to get it but there has always been something off, so maybe something dedicated to that tone can be the answer!
-mp-

What guitar are you using? What hardware is on the guitar? Which pickups? What string gauge are you using?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Don't worry, Slash wasn't even able to ever get the tones he got on that album again.... The Illusion stuff was ok as was the #34 mod but it was also more nasally and the production on that album wasn't as good in my opinion. The drums sound horrible on UYI I and II. So over produced and Sorum's style is so cookie cutter. Hated that. Totally diff topic though. Work on your chops and get alnico II's. That's half the battle.

His guitar tone on Apocalyptic Love, IMO, feature his best recorded guitar sounds, ever.

I heard cassette tapes of the Appetite demos and his tone was exactly the same as the record, but the songs were much looser and IMO, should have been released instead of what actually was released.

And yes, looser.

:D

Kapo_Polenton said:

It wasn't "overproduced" as much as it was digital and sterile sounding. Matt's a great drummer (and a great dude) but he's always been "wrong" for Slash and Duff because he's too consistent and "on the beat". He was great in the Cult and on their record "Beyond Good and Evil" but for GNR and Slash particularly, he's just too money.

Steven, on the other hand, is Guns 'N Roses drummer. He killed it at the Rock & Roll HOF induction. The band smoked that night.

I am likely the only person that prefers his UYI tone. Might even be the extra production of it but it sounds more unique to me. It has a raw edge that I love. Appetite sounds like a lot of normal Marshalls to me. Not bad but nothing special....its the playing that shines there.

It wasn't "overproduced" as much as it was digital and sterile sounding. Matt's a great drummer (and a great dude) but he's always been "wrong" for Slash and Duff because he's too consistent and "on the beat". He was great in the Cult and on their record "Beyond Good and Evil" but for GNR and Slash particularly, he's just too money.

Steven, on the other hand, is Guns 'N Roses drummer. He killed it at the Rock & Roll HOF induction. The band smoked that night.

I think that's it Mike. You nailed it. "over produced" is the wrong word. Sterile and too on the beat. Everything fits too perfectly for the looseness of Slash's hand and style. Same with the whole band. Adler had that big chorused out snare and drums and this punchy way of playing that worked way better. Sorum was great in the Cult and the bass works perfectly with the drums there.

I can go either way on the AFD demos vs. what was released. Some of it was more raw, but some of it also I found slow. I'm glad they were told to up the tempo on some of the tunes. I seem to recall Sweet Child being slower and Welcome to the Jungle as well. Glad those two came up. Slash's later tones are pretty solid though. He likes his guitars to cut through. Zep, You might need to get your presence and treb settings up in addition to pups and guitar consideration. As was mentioned though, what guitar are you starting with? You didn't just sell that LP you had to buy more mods did you?? :roll:

BTW- for UYI era stuff, check the settings on his GE-7:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4786/28490363km5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewtopic.php?f%3D1%26t%3D5367&h=172&w=251&sz=18&tbnid=NCss2xqkx-XEsM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=131&zoom=1&usg=__TPHBzFb00FCXJXZ7sJUmeXMwuCQ=&docid=wvxA102W0hYcqM&sa=X&ei=kGO3UZ2KJ6m2yAG7ioD4Dw&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=399

He is boosting mids in addition to running treb and presence higher on his amps. You can find his preferred settings for the amps on google as well. So in short, it records well but might rip your head off out front. Through the PA it can all sound gravy.

Ive actually got 2 les pauls the black LP custom with the EMG's is the one im trying to move and ive got another newer LP custom with SD alnico II's in it but not the slash set.. Im gonna play around with alot of things. As i mentioned ive got a 10 band eq coming in and Im gonna try it out in the loop of my TSL and figure out where to go from there..
-Matt Page-

Yeah i know he runs his mids high that was the first thing that I noticed about his tone when i heard some of the AFD tunes with just the guitar track playing.. Im gonna hit the TSL hard this week and maybe ill even give it a digital go with my eleven rack, so many different rigs and parameters and just hundreds of tonal options for any tone i was thinking of starting with an 82 JCM800 model... I know i know its modeling but its better than any modeling ive ever heard and that includes all versions of axe Fx.
-Matt Page-

zepplin490 said:
Yeah i know he runs his mids high that was the first thing that I noticed about his tone when i heard some of the AFD tunes with just the guitar track playing.. Im gonna hit the TSL hard this week and maybe ill even give it a digital go with my eleven rack, so many different rigs and parameters and just hundreds of tonal options for any tone i was thinking of starting with an 82 JCM800 model... I know i know its modeling but its better than any modeling ive ever heard and that includes all versions of axe Fx.
-Matt Page-

Dude, I can nail Slash's tone with my Sacred Groove MK19 (modified Bully) and Les Paul Custom with a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge.

It's just a good sounding Marshall and a Les Paul. If you own any of Rob's Marshall modules, you should be able to plug in a get within 95% of his tone. If you've got a good Les Paul with Alnico's or a Burstbucker with TonePro's hardware, you should be set.

Unless you have a sub-standard speaker cabinet loaded with V30's. That could be your issue.

zepplin490 said:
-Matt Page-

Oh boy here we go.. Zep you've got a **** ton of gear from what I have seen here and on rig talk. Surely among all that stuff you should be able to get a tone that gets you close enough man!

deaftrain.jpg

Kapo_Polenton said:
zepplin490 said:
-Matt Page-

Oh boy here we go.. Zep you've got a s*&t ton of gear from what I have seen here and on rig talk. Surely among all that stuff you should be able to get a tone that gets you close enough man!

Yeah Kapo it is getting a little tight in the guitar room as lately ive bout a couple new guitars, Eleven rack, The TSL is relatively new to me, and ive got a mini stack of rm50's in the corner:) lotsa toys but the old reliable RM4 and the TSL get most of the attention these days, but ive really wanted to use the 11R as a preamp just cuz it sounds so **** good... but the "BlackHat" preset doesnt do justice to slash's tone so its a little project for me...
-mp-