Best module for hot-rodded 80's tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m0jo said:
How would one use a Champ plugged into a Marshall? Wouldn't wiring the Champ's speaker out into the Marshall blow up the Champ?

It would depend on the impedance of the Super Champ and that of the speaker in the Marshall cab. But for the record, I don't believe that story, whatsoever.

Have any of you guys ever played through a Super Champ? If you have, I think you understand why I think it's hilarious.

:D

Kapo_Polenton said:
Warren is pretty straight up.

The other thing that's odd about this story is that Warren had stated in many interviews that he was using Laney amps at the time of Out of the Cellar. I met and saw them on that tour and the subsequent tour and he had stacks of Laney cabs loaded with EV12M's with Laney heads.

I had a good friend that was signed to several labels that owned a Rivera-era Princeton (Push-Pull knob for extra gain). While it was really cool for Americana-type rock, there's no way that amp could have sounded exactly like a Marshall.

If you listen to the rhythm tracks and the solo tracks on Cellar, the tones are identical. And if he actually DID use a Fender Super Champ (which he didn't), why didn't this come out in the guitar magazines or even Mix magazine back in the day? If it had, those amps would have been extremely sought after and wouldn't have been discontinued.

This is just my opinion because I don't have any hard facts at this time to back it up but it just doesn't make any sense, intellectually or sonically.

I have a Laney Pro Tubes... it can get close to those tones but is either way too thin or really bass heavy when you start pulling the boost functions. Mine is an early 80's 5 or 6 knob based of a jcm800... decent amp but didn't compare to my JCM in anyway. I think part of this story comes from the laney endorsement and the cabs and amps being on stage but not actually plugged in. (many artists do this) Also not sure about the champ story but if he meant SUPER champ then the gain is there: (4:50 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h764vM-2G5w&feature=related

But yes there are a ton of guys who used modded amps.. at the end of the day though, Warren sounded like Warren and it is really the hands that do the talking.

I haven't played many modules (I'm just getting into the MTS world). I really like The Judge clips I've heard though. Very Lynch/Demartini. Searing plexi vibe. If I was going for that kind of tone, that's definitely where I would go.

Isaac said:
I haven't played many modules (I'm just getting into the MTS world). I really like The Judge clips I've heard though. Very Lynch/Demartini. Searing plexi vibe. If I was going for that kind of tone, that's definitely where I would go.
I would recommend the Mr. Scary for those tones as well.

I loved my Salvation Salvado DeLuxe for my 80's tones (I play in a hair metal cover band hehe). It was flexible enough to cover a lot of tonal territory, IMO, and just sounded great. It was my go-to module, and I can't wait to get another

Too bad you'll have to wait 6 months to get it! If Salvation could shorten the turnaround time, they'd be booming even more than they are now! I bet smashing pumpkins doesn't wait! :roll:

Kapo_Polenton said:
Too bad you'll have to wait 6 months to get it! If Salvation could shorten the turnaround time, they'd be booming even more than they are now! I bet smashing pumpkins doesn't wait! :roll:

Do you own a JF-SLO OD100 and is that what you recorded? Or an actual Soldano SLO-100?

I've got a Salvation Custom 3 and it works wonders for a tight 80 tone. I have a Salvo SLO DLX on order for everything else. I'm getting a judge for a plexi's tone, as the regular plexi isn't really a plexi.

Latest posts