Boss GT-10 with RM4 rig?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
Guys, I just had an idea. I'm currently using the Behringer FCB1010 to change RM4 channels + patches on G-Major / Rocktron Xpression. I'm running a Boss NS-2, Tuner Pedal, Boss SD-1 in front. Everything sounds great, but it's such a cumbersome setup! Takes ages to set up and dismantle at gigs, and there's so much that could go wrong when connecting all these units, and I am trying to simplify.

I thought I'd use the Boss GT-10 straight up in front (NOT using the 4 cable method) and use it's Midi to change patches on the Xpression (which is in the series loop of the RM4) + RM4 channels. I could also use the tuner, overdrive and NS-2 on the GT-10 and that would get rid of the pedalboard. Finally, I could power the GT-10 through the Xpression's 7 pin Midi and not have to look for power outlets in front.

A couple of questions for you all:

1. Is anyone using the GT-10 in front like what I've written above? Is is better setup than what you had before?
2. Is the Overdrive on the GT-10 (which includes a tubescreamer) better than using a pedal?
3. Is there any tone change/suckage because of the GT-10?
4. Any other insight / better ideas?

All in all, this feels like a good idea to me. What do you guys reckon? Please feel free to chime in with ideas.

I havent used the Gt10...but I would be VERY critical in listening tests..so many multFx units digitize our signals..and even after reconversion the signal is different. I have really good ears and when I hear this..It bugs me.
I would ask for a 7 day return policy on the Gt10 and take it, along with my pedal board to a quiet studio and run some tests..I would record the tests and listen to it VERY carefully.
but thats just me...I am a tone fanatic..see my band live and you'd notice I sweat my sounds bigtime.
you can catch me live on video at myspace.com/georgebarrysolo (me doing some covers in a band called "The fuse".

I can only offer my opinion...and it's over-critical, so take it for what you will.

I don't like ANY of the multi-effect boxes except for the ME-50/ME-30 and even then, I wouldn't use it unless it seemed I had no other choice.
All the distortion box modeling on the GT-8 (GT-10) sounds like crap!
For recording, it might pass, but live...no way!
Stick with the pedals, deal with the extra time & trouble.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't see how the tone would get digitized any more than from a pedal. After all, the only things I'll be using in the GT-10 are the NS-2, and maybe the overdrive for a boost. I use the Boss pedal versions of these right now, and surely the circuitry is very similar on the processor? Everything else (including preamps, distortions, etc) will all be bypassed on the GT-10.

Most importantly, the GT-10 is so tweakable that I could achieve better results than any pedals, IMHO. The midi control would be a blessing too!

I've already placed the order and the GT-10 should be arriving soon. George - I'll A/B my rig with the pedal chain vs GT-10 in the studio before the weekend. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for the input!

just buy it and try it.

i thought that i could get rid of a bunch of pedals and gear by using the gt10 and even tried the tc unit.

sounded like poo.

it definetly changes the sound.

it king of squashes the life out of it.

it kind of sounds like taking a picture of the sound. if you get what i mean

i couldnt wait to return the units and go back to the pain in the *** method.

but at least i was smiling when everything was hooked up!

fuzzyguitars said:
just buy it and try it.

i thought that i could get rid of a bunch of pedals and gear by using the gt10 and even tried the tc unit.
sounded like poo.
i couldnt wait to return the units and go back to the pain in the *** method

I wonder how many players have been through the rackmount/multi-effect pedals that eventually chucked it all and went back to stompboxes?
I know at least 7 or 8.... myself included.
How 'bout you?

guitarcomet said:
fuzzyguitars said:
just buy it and try it.

sounded like poo.
i couldnt wait to return the units and go back to the pain in the *** method

I wonder how many players have been through the rackmount/multi-effect pedals that eventually chucked it all and went back to stompboxes?
How 'bout you?

yep

**** stomps sounded better to me.

albeit, i now use a sound sculpture switchblade to switch em in and out like a multieffects unit!

The 3 words I hate to say are - "You were right". :oops: Well, you guys WERE right.

I've been tinkering with the GT-10 for about 5 hours now. Midi is working well, noise gate's effective, the OD boosts nicely. But there's a hiss and some other kinda irritating constant noise. And no matter what I do, I cant get rid of it. I feel like breaking something right now! :evil:

The GT-10 is going back tomorrow. Time to start looking for an alternative. What is the G-System like? Does it tick the boxes?

I ran a Boss GT-3 in front of my Fender Evil Twin for about a year. The other guitar player was using a Line 6 POD w/pedalboard in front of a SS Marshall....so, mine sounded just as good or better. (duh)
I used the GT-3 for delay & chorus, mostly.
I didn't use ANY of the distorion box models, but I did use one or two overdrives for a little bit of extra grind. When I used the OD, my sound was squeezed and limited, even when adding just a little.
About that time, my buddy was buying the newest Boss GT-?
I was use to his sound and when he ran it in front of his amp, it SUCKED!
I began to wonder, if maybe I should ditch mine.
I never looked back!
Some of these guys (Eric Johnson for one) have a bunch of rack gear and they hire a guy to wire it up and make it sound good. It's great to have people like that working for you. But if you don't, just stick with the basics.
Some things are better when kept simple.
A Randall tech told me they didn't put reverb on the RM units to keep the signal path as simple as possible (for sound quality sake).
I think they have something there.

yes Eric does use some rack gear..heck alot of people do..but there are so many varibales..and so many details to attend to..if you get i right it CAN sound very good...but get it wrong..like most people do..and its really bad.
Most people give up on rack stuff mainly because it takes alot of work to get it to swing right. me, Im a tone nut..so I spend time at it..and it works well. But I have learned a few things..
and one of the constants is..the more you touch a signal, the more it doesnt stay intact.
So multiFx processors (as of this date ,2009) put the signal thru so much that there is no way the signal survives intact. If you like a processed sound, its fine..but if you like it more transient, more authentic...stay away from multifx processors.
Other than that, there are few rules.
btw: Rockton is smart...they tend to allow a undgitized signal to run thru their gear and come out the other side..so depending on your patch..the sound is untouched..or a little touched or drastic..its up to you. The Boss stuff, works differently..100% is digitized.
and btw: there are many analog stomp boxes..which means they NEVER convert your signal...so loss of tone can be (depending on the circuit)much less than say a multiFx processor.
in Good tone,
GtrGeorge

guitarcomet said:
How 'bout you?

That's the eternal debate. I believe the answer is, it depends.

For distortion, it's all about the amps natural tone. However, anyone with a so-so amp can benefit from either pedals or digital processing. For example, one of my amps doesn't sound too exciting on it's own but when I use the 5150 preset of my Boss GT-8 it comes alive big time! Then I can switch to a Soldano, Plexi, Rectifier with complete freedom and abandon. Of course they're not the real deal but some digital processing really adds value to the otherwise lame amp. For my Lynch Box Combo (a very good amp), I run some rack effects but strictly for modulation and delays. It's commanding natural growl is still there. :)

I am right here with you guys right now. I sold a Tonelab LE and bought a RP1000 so that I could use the 4CM but I am not happy with the results so far. Granted, I have only spent about 20 minutes fooling with it so far.

What are some inexpensive loop type pedals that would allow me to put a delay pedal in the loop and a couple of drives out front of my amp and allow me to switch them on and off with a simple click or two?

Latest posts