Dragon module versus my new 6505+?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TORMENT FAKTORY

Reaction score
Ah tax season! To some it means that it's the time of year where they have to sell off all their gear....ok, let me re-phrase that. It's the time of year when their wives force them to sell all their gear, even though the guitarist is willing to eat used newspaper and rug crumbs rather than sell ANY part of their rig. to others like me it means that it's time to buy all that gear you've been too broke all year to buy! To other non-guitarist types it means.....well, I really don't know what the hell it means for those freaks, but who gives a **** about them! They're just weird! ANYWAY, so as any normal person on this blue ball we call earth does, I am forever chasing the perfect high gain guitar tone, and after my significant other raped and pillaged my tax return to death on "bills" she was kind enough to leave me with just enough pennies to pick up a used Peavey 6505+ head. I'd heard so much about them from other high gain tone chasers that I figured what the hell, if I don't like it I can just use it as a backup for my Lynchbox RM100. While I was waiting for it to arrive I made a tentative deal with another forum member here to have my Ultra XL module modded into a "Dragon" module. Well, the Peavey got here today. If you are a high gain monger, and have ever owned one, you know what I now know. The Peavey 6505+ head, to put it simply F*CKING SLAYS! It blows my Lynchbox off the map! Blasphemy you say? Well, all I can say is I hope that when I get this Dragon module, that it is AMAZINGLY better sounding than the Ultra XL is, or there just might be an RM100 Lynchbox in the classifieds thread pretty soon. Nothing against YOU bunch, some of the coolest guitar guys on the interweb are right here in the MTS forum, but amazing tone is amazing tone, and I think I might have just been converted over to the Peavey side of guitar amp land! Played on tripple recs, Bogners, Marshalls, Oranges, Line 6's, H&K's, and I've never heard anything in this price range (or in many cases higher price ranges) like this Peavey! the lows are simply crushing and do so without mudding up the highs and mids! Only amp I've ever played on that sounded noticeably better was an Engl Powerball, but those monsters START at $2000 and go up from there--USED! I picked this 6505+ up on eBay used for under $800! I have high expectations on the Dragon module though. Heard some sound clips on it that were pretty impressive. Can't wait to see what it'll do against my new high gain monster 6505+

430517_3507604051725_1320511352_3701641_1703245375_n.jpg
[/img]

Probably sounds kind of biased since I make and sell the module but **** I was just playing a Dragon XL and it's so close to say Parkway Drive - Horizion album it's crazy. I do a lot of sound production on the side and If I were to cover that album I'd use that over my Baron K88 which was $1800.

Just saying.

I have about 2-3 modules going out this week so others may comment on this next week.

BTW, Horizons was recorded with a 6505+ which is what I was getting at.

Don't worry, still planning on doing the Dragon mod. The sound clips on that module are VERY impressive! Can't wait to see what it'll do through my rig! I plan on running the 6505+ and the Lynchbox on a ABY switch. Which ever has the better lead tone will be my lead channel and the other my rhythm channel on the ABY.

I don't have much experience with the Peavey side of crushing tone, but I'm curious about this battle! How would you compare your Dragon to the 6505+ Kyle? I'm also curious how JF's and Salvation's Peavey mods would clock in against the 6505+

They are pretty **** similar in my opinion. Anyone else that has one will probably tell you the same that it is pretty similar to a 5150/6505+. At least that's what I've been reading around here.

It had the option with the mid switch to get those gnarly aggressive mid range tones that the 5150/6505 series has and the switch that controls the low mids as well.

Lots of options with that module.

I prefer my dragon module over my peavey 6505 right now. It sounds amazing in my rm100. I am running with 2 x 6l6 and 2 x 6550 Tubes in my randall right now it sound pretty awesome.
Even tho both amps cover similiar territory, the dragon has it own sound going on that I prefer over the 6505. One advantage that the dragon has over the peavey it that you can make it sound loose or tight with the 3 way switch on the dragon without loseing that nice big low end. You can run a boost in front of the peavey, but I just prefer how the dragon tightens up and keeps alot of that bass.
The cool thing about the switchs on the dragon is that they are 3 way switchs which give you a full array of tonal options.

I went down a similar road a few weeks ago....received a Peavey Ultra Plus, and it seemingly just killed all of my coveted modules.

After a week or so, i decided to buy all new tubes for my Peavey...awesome. I looked at my rm100KH and was seriously thinking WTF. The power tubes were good, the tone was clear....but no balls. I started putting the presence down to zero, decreasing treble on the modules. Then I thought, let me try the preamp tubes- i switched the 12ax7s from the Peavey I just bought & BAM...there's the tone! Strange, I had 3 sets of 12ax7s- new, very worn, extremely worn. they all worked, but the amp Balls were significantly affected. Not so much the case with the Peavey Ultra- the amp sounded good with any of the tubes (sounded best with new ones)

Lesson: try new pre tubes in the mts heads as the deprecriation sneaks up on you. Now I'm rocking 2 awesome amps...and trying to locate some of the modules I mistakenly dumped during this embarrassing tube debacle :oops:

Interesting! Sounds like the Peavey 6505+ is a bada$$ amp for what it does. Would like to see a video/audio comparison of the 6506 and the Dragon once you get it, TF. Include us in your journey hehe

I like the 6505 LEAD channel, that's it, it only HAS one channel worth a ****
the clean is flat and the rhythm is as weak *** as any lame rhythm channel I've ever played.
That said, the lead channel does stomp a mud hole in many higher priced amps

Funny how people hear thngs or exposure to more stuff can change what you like...I used only the 5150 for a long time until I got a Soldano...after a/b'ing them I promptly sold the peavey and now when I hear them I think they sound like crap....lol...I tried to like the 6505 or 6534,but after playing the more boutique qaluity amps like teh MTS stuff,Soldano or Krank I just dont thnk they sound very good unless tey are modded by somoen like fja to clean them up....

Yeah they don't sound all that amazing at low volumes but once you crank them and throw a boost in front they can sound pretty **** good.

I just got back from band practice and had the opportunity to crank the Peavey up to about 6 on the lead channel and about 4 on the clean. I have to say, (and everyone on the band agreed) that the clean channel on the Peavey was MUCH cleaner sounding than the blackface module on the Lynchbox. The peavey's clean channel had to be dialed in a bit, (with the EQ flat it was WAY too tinny) but after backing off on the highs, bringing up the lows and mids a bit it sounded fantastic with the Line 6 M13 effects I was running through it - a slight delay, Analog chorus, and a bit of deep reverb. Now, Maybe it's just the style I'm playing compared to other styles, but it WAS significantly cleaner. As far as the High gain tones? No comparison whatsoever. The stock Ultra XL simply cannot dream of hanging with the chest kickingly punchy yet extremely tight and crisp tone that the Peavey seems to deliver effortlessly. This being said, since I returned from practice I have re-listened to the sound clips from the Dragon again, and I gotta say it's going to be a tough call once I get the Dragon mod done. That thing sounds like one hell of a monster even from listening to it in crappy mp3 sound quality through crappy computer speakers. I do agree on one thing. The Dragon module sounds like it's high gain tone is significantly more versatile. Who knows. the Peavey just might end up back on the back burner again. Once I get the mod done I'll post vids and sound clip comparisons and we'll see which earns the place as my lead channel!

kylendm said:
Yeah they don't sound all that amazing at low volumes but once you crank them and throw a boost in front they can sound pretty **** good.

Yeah, he nailed it on the head. The 5150/6505 series of amps are awesome when cranked up high. There is no denying that.
I just want to reiterate that the dragon fits my style of playing perfectly. So I can definately see someone like the peavey better. Both are quality amps.
The 6505 is alot more raw and crushing.
I just got a rm100kh and the dragon in that sounds more open and smoother in the mids than it does in my regular rm100. Mostly likely cause of the different tubes. I am so in love with the dragon now.
I wait to hear what you impressions are TORMENT.

Latest posts