E-rect (Might just be a Mesa thing)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm running my PRS straight into my RM100 with modded Eggie E-Rect (.001 Cap). This might just be a Mesa tone problem, but I'm used to cranking my mids and treble on my amps (3 o'clock-ish). When I had my Mesa Rectoverb I did the same and I notice there is a "wierd" sound (probably frequency is a better way to describe it) that comes through in palm muted rythum playing (Think quick stop, start Rythums - like "Praise" by Sevendust type groove and also Palm muted punk like - "Basketcase" by Green Day).
I now notice the same sound on my E-rect. This is running through vintage 30's in my cab. Does anyone else notice similar sound? It lessens once the mids are scooped (9 o clock)and treble is lessened (12ish) - yet this type of sound in a live environment I find to get lost in the mix and not cut through.
It may be something that I can simply put down to a Mesa Recto tone, where they sound great with scooped mids and are not designed to be EQ'd more like a Marshall. Maybe my ears are telling me I'm not a huge Mesa tone fan (might be the reason I sold mine). I've got a 1086, XTC and Brown currently in transit which may lead me to retire the E-rect.

Can anyone play around with high mids and treble and lowish bass and see if they can come across what I'm talking about. It seem to be more prominent on the E and A strings and more noticeable when I play drop D. Presence is about 12, Density is anywhere from 12 - 4 depending on my mood. My tubes are GT 6l6's biased at 33.

I like gain sounds, that are crunchy, clear, defined and tight, yet don't distort on the initial pick attack on the strings. (I do realise that my PRS has Dragon 2 pickups which are pretty hot - I haven't tested my Les Paul with Alnico 2 Pro's yet).

Cheers

never played e-rect but have a modded recto/grail. i know what you mean about the recto type tone, its definetly big on looser style bass and is far apart from most all other styles of gainy distortion. but it could just be the 0.001 cap has taken out too much bass and made the feel of it totally different, that's what i noticed about my original 0.001 modded recto and a few other modules as well with 0.001 mods in them. just seemed like too much of a cut. my 1086 isn't like that at all though suprisingly as it has the 0.001 cap and neither is my modded grail/recto. could be other parts in the module contibuting as well.

Latest posts