Egnater/Rocktron 80/80 tube Power Amp!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarzan

Reaction score
Just grabbed this off Fleabay. Hopefully doesn't need much to bring it back to life. I'm guessing it should work pretty well with the mods. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281065171975?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I actually had one of those years ago, didn't sound half bad from what I can recall about it. That's a nice score if you can get it fixed on the cheap, looks like you'll have to spend a bit of cash retubing it though.

Um, that's a steal! Even if it needs work. Back in the heyday of the Egnater forum on Rigtalk, this amp was considered the holy grail of power amps (over any VHT or an RT2/50). They supposedly sound huge!

I picked up 8 Tung Sol 5881 for $160. Hopefully just a bias will get her going. Found a gut shot on the rigtalk and it looks like it was built like a tank. Huge trannies and I don't mean those "chicks" that Mattfig is in to. :p

Velocity.jpg

wow i have not seen one of these before, looks like a great find! you didnt even wait for the dude to get the description up in the auction lol. can you bias the channels separately?

I threw some new 5881s in it and fired it up. It sounded reakin' great for about 5 minutes and then one of the tubes started lighting up and the amp was humming. It's going to have to go to the shop. I figured it would but I think It shouldn't be too much to fix. It does not have the bias points like the Randalls.

Is this amp still in the shop?

I would be curious to find out if you can run different sets of tubes on either side and what a decent working example might be expected to cost?

It hasn't made it to the shop yet. I found a 80's Schecter PT for $700 that I had to buy. :p There are no bias adjustments on the back of the amp like the RM stuff. You could bias them manually I reckon. Hope to get this in the shop soon!

would you get this out already! I am dying to know if the two sides can be rebiased independantly. I have seen a pic of one that had 6L6GCs in it so you must be able to swap them out with some flexibility.

If a not working one is a good deal at 100$, what would one expect to pay for one in good working condition?

Omgomgomgomg. Okay enough of the teenaged girl moment but I think it's warranted. Does it count as cowbelling if it's the dealer pic?

One owner, very very cherry.

It hasn't made it to the shop yet. I bought a loaded M4 and that dried up the funds for a bit. It sounded really good for a few minutes before the tubes started turning blue. :)

Latest posts