Figured out my setup - simple techniques

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yigba

Reaction score
Lynchbox 50 Combo with a Tweed and an SL+

Playing a '73 Tele with a Bad Monkey in front and a Visual Sounds H2O, Boss CE-2 and a Line 6 DL-4 in the serial loop. I have them switched on and off with a looper bypass pedal. The only degradation I can hear is the H2O pedal - it has a slight volume loss. The other two pedals sound great through the loop.

The key to this amp is the boost. Just set the Master to about 2 or 3 o'clock and set your individual module levels to whatever your stage volume is. When you engage the master boost at this point it works like it's supposed to - a slight boost. If your Master is set low the boost will blow the doors off.

For me the Tweed module is perfect with the gain at around 12:30 ish. When the volume on the guitar is wide open I get a slight overdriven sound. Keep in mind this is with single coils. If I want a strictly clean sound I engage the boost BUT turn down the volume on the guitar until it is not breaking up. This gives me both a slightly overdriven sound and a clean sound on the Tweed channel with the same volume. I just use the boost to get me there. I also get mucho SRV tone with the Bad Monkey engaged. So basically I get 3 sounds out of this module.

The SL+ module with the Bad Monkey in front simply lives and breathes classic rock. Just put the gain to around noon on the module, reduce the gain on the Bad Monkey to zero and dime the volume on the pedal and I'm in heaven.

First amp that ever gave me Fender/Marshall. Have a Tweed Fender Bassman and AB'd the Lynchbox vs. the Bassman with an MI Audio Crunchbox, and while the Bassman clean itself was better the dirty sound could not compare. And the Lynchbox has reverb and the ability to get a low gain sound at the turn of your volume knob.

Man I dig this amp.

I just used my RM50 combo for the 1st time tonite, with the band. Its truly an instrument unto itself..and I have some learning to do..my volumes were all over the place at rehearsal..and my tone werent hitting the mark either.
I have my rm4 down..but this is all new..and I have to deal with just 2 modules..a little hard , beause I am spoiled.

Yeah getting all the levels right takes a little bit of tweaking. I use a RP1000 with the 4CM and when I click to a clean patch (I use a modeled one) if the master on my RM100 has moved, then the patch has gone with it. The other day I almost shat myself when I clicked from dirt to clean with the master up over 3:00. I originally set up the clean patch with it on 8:00. From bedroom volume to KERRAANNNGGG arena volume in an instant.

I am loving the SL+ that I just picked up. I pretty much have Marshall tones covered (and recovered) with the JF Brahma, JF Scary, and SL+.

Now I switched to the Blackface for cleans after figuring out that one of the cap's legs was touching the bass pot, resulting in a horribly weak sound. Unbent it and it now sounds great. The Tweed's bass is just a tad too flabby for the clean sound I am afetr. and that's even with a Tele.

So my new setup is Blackface clean and SL+ dirty. Have the Bad Monkey feeding it but also have a Barber LTD Mod pedal for low gain sounds. I also put a simple volume pot pedal first in line in the serial loop to bring the level down. I keep the Master wherever I need to get the volume I want - usually around 2-3 o'clock.

At the end of my effects chain is an LPB-1. I now use this as my volume boost instead of the Master boost. I simply don't trust the Master Boost on this amp.

I am going to try and make some nice clean clips of the Blackface and Tweed modules. I really don't see any that are around.