Hello how are ya?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
Hi there-

I'm new here but I've been on the HC boards for years. Anyway, I'm back to owning an MTS amp. I bought a RM 20 today and it came with a KH-3 module. Needless to say I used to own 2 RM 100's and had the single channel Egnater SL++ modules (man I wished I still had those doh!). Anyway I sold the RM 100's after having them break down on me a bunch...they were early production models. So here's hopeing this brand new RM 20 is a much better production model.

Being extremely lazy and impatient I'll ask a bunch of questions here in hopes of some answers. Of course I will search around here but if someone can appease my laziness....thanks in advance! :D

First question: Which Module if you know has the closest tone to the Eggie SL++ modules that I had?

Second question: What's your opinion on the KH-3 module? I want to know because the dealer has XTC, KH-2, and Treadplate that I can easily go back and exchange for.

Third question: So the treadplate can be modded for the Grail module? Who does this and how do i contact them and how much?

Fourth question: Do all the newer modules such as the KH, Lynch, 1086 have the low cap value in C3 such as the .001 cap? I did this mod on the eggie SL++'s I had and remembered what it made for my tone. I down tune so I need that tightness.

fitth question: So this amp carries EL-84's.....am I constricted to 84's. No issue with them just curious if it has the type swapability of the bigger MTS amps.

sixth question: Any suggestions on preamp and power tube upgrades?

Seventh question: So do you recommend the grail tone or modded treadplate for a down tuner who plays fast aggressive metal like myself? Or which module do you recommend?

Thanks again!! :lol:

Here we go:

1: Plexi or SL+

2: The KH3 is the best module I have seen right out of the box stock. It is super flexible and sounds great for a lot of things. The tone knobs have such a wide range.

3: You can do it yourself by replacing a few parts or contact board member Pete Turley under the name Okstrat here.

4: Most of the modules now come with smaller C3 values due to popular demand. But as you know, it's a simple change.

5: EL84's it is!

6: I tend to like JJ, EH and Tung Sol's. JJ's are my main preamp tube of choice, very smooth and good for agressive tones. EH's will brighten a module up and I dig Tung Sol's in V2 on clean modules. Everyone will have their own opinions here. JJ and TS power tubes are my favorite.

7: I have a Pete modded Recto that KILLS the stock one I used to have. I have found all the Sig models to be quite better stock than most, so a stock Grail may be pretty good too. Your KH3 is good for heavy stuff, as is the 1086.

Jaded Faith said:
Here we go:

1: Plexi or SL+

2: The KH3 is the best module I have seen right out of the box stock. It is super flexible and sounds great for a lot of things. The tone knobs have such a wide range.

3: You can do it yourself by replacing a few parts or contact board member Pete Turley under the name Okstrat here.

4: Most of the modules now come with smaller C3 values due to popular demand. But as you know, it's a simple change.

5: EL84's it is!

6: I tend to like JJ, EH and Tung Sol's. JJ's are my main preamp tube of choice, very smooth and good for agressive tones. EH's will brighten a module up and I dig Tung Sol's in V2 on clean modules. Everyone will have their own opinions here. JJ and TS power tubes are my favorite.

7: I have a Pete modded Recto that KILLS the stock one I used to have. I have found all the Sig models to be quite better stock than most, so a stock Grail may be pretty good too. Your KH3 is good for heavy stuff, as is the 1086.

Thanks for that. I know Pete from HCAF (stratotone) so good to know. I'm surprised you like JJ's for the Preamps in the modules. They used to dull the heck out of the Egnaters. I always went with EH and that GT Mullard reisssue was the bomb. I think I'm gonna keep the KH-3 and pick up a Grail in the future. I loves them recto tones... 8)

Totally agree, this is a great mod to start with, the best hi gain stock mod. Superior eq can take you to a wide range of tones

Lifts mods to a new level, awesome work

Great minds think alike....many like the 1086 over the KH3, but not me. The 1086 sort of does the SL+ and Recto, but not as good as either. Versatile if you must pick one, but the KH3 boast more quality stock

I play the same kind of metal i think as you and I have a Grail in my RM100 constantly. We play in C standard and that module is awesome. I used to set the gain all the way to full but discovered if I have it at 12 o'clock it totally opens up the sound and decreases the feedback no end. Grail all the way for metal! :twisted:

METALjim said:
I play the same kind of metal i think as you and I have a Grail in my RM100 constantly. We play in C standard and that module is awesome. I used to set the gain all the way to full but discovered if I have it at 12 o'clock it totally opens up the sound and decreases the feedback no end. Grail all the way for metal! :twisted:

:twisted: You know it......the Grail is on the short gas list for sure now.....I am digging the KH-3.......sounds wicked evil Marshally to me.... 8) :twisted:

Latest posts