HELP! Dead RM20 :(

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I was playing my RM20 into a new 412 cab and it suddenly cut out. Now I should mention that it didn't sound great for the few minutes I had it working.
I tried it with a 112 today and nothing worked. Then I setup the direct-out to my interface and nothing.
The amp turns on, it lights up, but no sound, no output.
What could it be?

buriedorburned said:
Ok, yesterday I was playing my RM20 into a new 412 cab and it suddenly cut out. Now I should mention that it didn't sound great for the few minutes I had it working.
I tried it with a 112 today and nothing worked. Then I setup the direct-out to my interface and nothing.
The amp turns on, it lights up, but no sound, no output.
What could it be?

If it sounded like it was 'farting out' (technical I know, lol) before it dies on you, my first suspicion would be that you blew a tube - likely a power tube. I've almost lost a couple tubes that way - random red-plating for no apparent reason, but managed to catch it and power down before damage occurred (noticed crappy sound, and then what looked like a small sun firing up inside my amp, lol).

I'm not very familiar with the RM20's, but does it have the bias pots on the rear like an RM100? If so, check to see if there is a red light, indicating a tube failure. Then, start checking fuses and tubes, one by one...

Maybe try to direct out from the FX send jack (if these have one?). If it sounds ok through there, you know for sure it's the power-section, and the signal up to that point is intact. If you get nothing from the pre, then you know to start before that... Hope this helps.

Latest posts