Help With Tube Placement

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowardm

Reaction score
So I have a Lynch box with EL34Ls and I'm debating on where to put the preamp tubes.

1) Which makes a bigger difference the preamp tubes in the modules or the preamp tubes in the actual amp?

2) Where do you think I should put them and in what positions (between the amp and 2 modules that's 7 different positions). I have a JF modded Blackface (more Fendery, cleaner) and a JF modded SL+ (DSL type, loads of gain with a bass and mid switch installed).

My tubes:
2 JJ ECC83S 12AX7
2 Sovtek 12AX7WA (I'm not crazy about these and have heard others feel the same, so I'd just as soon not use them at all)
2 Tung Sol 12AX7
1 Electro-Harmonix 12AT7EH
1 Ruby 12AX7A with an HG (high gain?) label on it
1 Mesa 12AX7A

Here's what I was thinking:

Blackface - I like thick cleans
V1 - EH 12AT7
V2 - Tungsol 12AX7

SL+ - I like thick high gain (not very 80s though, more modern)
V1 - Ruby 12AX7A
V2 - Mesa 12AX7A

LB - I want clean cleans and high gain distortions, so I wouldn't say put a high gain tube in V1 or a particularly clean tube here either.
I want to put the remaining Tungsol 12AX7 and the 2 remaining JCC ECC83S in there. Any suggestions on order?

Does this all seem like it would sound good or does someone else have another opinion?

Stick that Tung Sol in the Amp's V1, and use the 12AT7 and a JJ in the Blackface. That sounds like a good setup for the SL+ for now. The biggest improvement you can really make, is probably a 5751 or a high quality 12AT7 in the Phase Inverter. Makes a HUGE difference.

A 5751 or 12AT7 in the actual amps phase inverter? That would surely lower the gain on the SL+. I'm fine with less gain if it sounds THAT much better, but does it really?

No, it hardly lowers the gain but it tonally adds a lot to your amp. Its in the PI of the amp itself not the module. It will also cut down on a lot of feedback you may be getting. I got one in mine and i love it. I also play a lot of metal/hardcore/death metal/jazz(a lot of jazz :) ). The you will hardly notice the difference gain wise.

I didn't notice a drop in gain. What I did notice was in increase in overall clarity, and I got more chime in my cleans and more grit in my high gainers. I also noticed it made my stock Ultra Lead usable.

eyeball987 said:
Which spot is the phase inverter? I want to try this in my RM50.

closest pre-amp tube in line with the power tubes.

JKD said:
eyeball987 said:

That is what I thought. Mine came with EH's in the amp. I should have a Jan GE 5751 around here somewhere.

eyeball987 said:

can someone clarify what were talking about here? Power amp tube or a tube NOT in the preamp?

I see four tubes in the back of my rm100 it's not one of those is it?

thx

There are 4 big tubes (power tubes, probably 6L6s) and then 3 little metal cylinders (about half the size of the power tubes). Under those are you preamp tubes.

What's the difference in a 5751 versus an 12AT7?

eyeball987 said:
JKD said:
eyeball987 said:

That is what I thought. Mine came with EH's in the amp. I should have a Jan GE 5751 around here somewhere.

I do not like EHs anywhere in the amp...at a push I might use one in a clean module if I'm looking for sterile.

JKD said:
eyeball987 said:
JKD said:
eyeball987 said:

I do not like EHs anywhere in the amp...and at a push I might use one i na clean module if I'm looking for sterile.

I am going to do some tube shopping next week. I have TAD 34's in the amp now and I have no idea how old they are so I am going to pick up a pair of those, maybe some 6550's just because I keep hearing people talk about them, and then some random pre's.

What do you like in your MTS?

eyeball987 said:
JKD said:
eyeball987 said:
JKD said:
eyeball987 said:

I do not like EHs anywhere in the amp...and at a push I might use one i na clean module if I'm looking for sterile.

I am going to do some tube shopping next week. I have TAD 34's in the amp now and I have no idea how old they are so I am going to pick up a pair of those, maybe some 6550's just because I keep hearing people talk about them, and then some random pre's.

What do you like in your MTS?

Go to pre-amp tubes are screened chinese 12ax7 r8 or r9...whether they're screen by a tube vendor or re-labelled (Ruby etc.) or the new Tung Sol RIs (the gold ones sound great)

If I'm looking for something different..go for a long plate tube like the Mullard RI 12ax7/ECC83.

Power tubes...I'm all over the map. =C= EL34, JJ 6L6, Mullard RI EL84 (Yellowjackets), SED 6550Cs

cowardm said:
There are 4 big tubes (power tubes, probably 6L6s) and then 3 little metal cylinders (about half the size of the power tubes). Under those are you preamp tubes.
tyvm

Latest posts