Hey Everyone new MTS user and forum member here

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nym1985

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just joined the MTS club with the purchase of a mint condition RM50B combo amp (clean/plexi/jtm modules all stock) and may be picking up an RM20B as well. A dealer near where I live still has a few new in box stock modules.

So I figured I'd say hey and let everyone know a little about me.

My name is Nate and I'm a gear addict lol

I'm almost 28 years old been playing over 20 years. I also sing and studied percussion at the university level (so I also have the drum addiction) I currently do some solo material and I play in a couple local bands (one guitar/vocals the other I play drums).

My style is classic rock, blues, indie, folk, alternative for the most part but I like to throw in some surf, country, rockabilly, jazz, motown, soul, latin, and classical for good measure.

Favorite guitarists are Pete Townshend, Robin Trower, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Dick Dale, Peter Frampton, Allman Bros, Marty Wilson Piper, Peter Koppes, well too many to mention.

Right now my electric guitar collection consists of:
two DeArmond M75T (one with TV jones filtertrons the other with the DeArmond 2k single coils), a DeArmond M75 (with DeArmond Goldtone humbuckers), a DeArmond S73 sg style (with Lollar Single Coil for humbuckers), a DeArmond Starfire Custom 335 style (with Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers and push pull pots), St Blues Bluescaster IV tele style with fat strat p'up config (this one has Lollar pickups), Fender MIM Nashville Tele (Fralin pickups), an Italia Rimini 12 string setup like a vintage Rick low octaves above high octaves with wound E and A upper octave strings (it's got a pair of mini humbuckers)

all have polished bone nuts and 12 gauge SIT pure nickel strings (typically tuned in standard but I do play out of Open D and Open G regularly)

As for effects right now the collection consists of:
VFE Pedals Alpha Dog "rat distortion", Blues King "bluesbreaker overdrive", Pale Horse Overdrive, Enterprise phaser "phase 45/90 plus more in a box", Fuzz Duo "fuzz face with silicon and germanium transistor pairs", Old School tremolo
DMB Pedals Lexi Drive, Stellar Drive, Whiskey Bender, and Lunar Echo
Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe
JHS modded union jack Vox Super Wah (they also installed a Halo inductor)
Wampler Pedals Ego Compressor and Faux Spring Reverb
TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay/Looper and Trinity Reverb

If it matters I use all Lava Cables

I like to keep my setup as made in america as financially feasible/possible

so as you can see I'm a bit of a gearhead and really don't need to add the MTS to my list of GAS problems

Anyway all that aside I would like to come here to share my experiences and bask in the wisdom of other members.

An idea I have for my 50 watt combo is to send it to mojotone and have the amp recovered I'm looking at doing a british green tolex, black and tan grill cloth, and either white or cream piping, maybe switch to a brown leather handle.

I would also like to swap out the stock Celestion T75 speaker I am thinking either a Creamback or maybe a british voiced Weber (ceramic Fane or Celestion). Just because I think it'll better suit my playing style and my choice in modules/tones. I like Eminence speakers a lot but I think most of the ones I like aren't really rated for performance in a 50 watt 1x12 combo. And while I am contemplating the notion of building extension cabinets I'd like to get the combo going the direction I want first.

What types of tubes do you guys typically like running. I was thinking of getting a pair of KT77 or 6CA7 for the power section (probably JJ's) as I tend to prefer them to 6L6 or EL34 tubes at least in other amps I've owned.

But as for the preamp modules and other 12AX7 spots on the amp itself what have you guys had good luck with?

I would also like to gather some input on module mods the Voxy-Face from Salvation Mods looks very appealing to me as it'd probably be just the sound for my 12 string and for most of my clean playing in general.

I know I'd like a Hiwatt mod Jaded Faith and Salvation Mods both offer those.

So that's my clean and plexi modules that'd be sent in. My question is should I keep my JTM module for that early british rock/blues type of tone that I like or send it in to be modded into some sort of Marshall/Orange preamp (the jaded faith plexi/tweed maybe)?

And what is everyone's favorite Vox module.

Basically I'd like to have four modules total
1. good clean module in the voxy/fendery camp (salvation voxy-face seems like the perfect clean module for me but I won't shun the blackface fender or mesa lonestar type options)
2. hiwatt module so I can get my live at leeds on and david gilmour/alex lifeson moments on
3. vox ac30 module (this just covers such a broad range of tones for me)
4. good old school british crunch module (could be the stock JTM or maybe the Jaded Faith PlexiTweed)

I have searched through the forum but I'd kind of just like some feedback from other players as I am planning to gig/record with this amp and while I love trial and error it is nice to get insight and wisdom from those that have more experience firsthand.

Well it's great to be a part of this wonderful cult/community I look forward to many years of happy MTS use.

Welcome aboard, you obviously know what your doing judging by your gear list. I am not going to comment on modules except to say you really can't go wrong with anything modded. Just different flavors, and each modder has their own sound for each module. I really like my JF 1959rr module and the Gigmods SL+ for Marshall goodness. I also really like the stock blackface for a pedal platform. It is nothing special on it's own but sounds great with fuzz pedals. You will get a lot of help from those that have had more than I have, And better experience with different modules. I tend to sit on stuff that I like, that and raising 3 kids keeps my module buying at bay, for now. By the way, how do you like the stock Jtm module? A friend of mine owned that one for awhile but sold it. The stock plexi kinda sounded better to him. As far as speakers go, the cream back is on my list of speakers to try. Right now I am using a 2x12 cab with wgs vet 30 and classic 80 speakers. Sounds good to me but I have been thinking about trying a weber or scumback in place of the 30. We'll see.

The JTM I have (maybe it's the tubes in it) is a fire breather but it definitely seems to have more of that early marshall feel to it whereas the plexi kinda has that all in one marshall sound which I call more modern (lol even though the mid 70's and early 80's were before my time)

My friend has the stock blackface and top boost modules and really his amp is what sold me on the MTS route that and a killer deal on a 50 watt combo. I'd thought about it when they were in production but was tight on cash as I was getting other things.

But I think that's where the PlexiTweed will step in for me. Seems like that'll nail that sound I'm after for blues/classic rock especially with single coils. I think it sounds much better for the tone I am after than the stock plexi or jtm, a local shop has the SL+ module and while it's cool it's pretty much all gain and no clean. For a lot of my playing I like to just ride that fine line of barely breaking up.

I talked to Jaded Faith and I may be able to just do the Voxless, PlexiTweed, and HW-103 from him instead of the Salvation Voxy-Face.

I got to thinking about it and really running the 50 watt combo I should be able to get the Voxy cleans I like and the Vox-less to me would probably be a more versatile module.

Which may mean if I decide to do the fourth module I could make that a Texas Special.

1-VoxLess
2-PlexiTweed
3-HW-103
4-Texas Special

I think that setup would probably cover every bit of ground I could really desire at that point any modules/mods I could do would just be out of the gear whorish side of me.

Ultimately I want a setup that can handle all the classic rock, blues, british invasion stuff, folk, indie, psychedelic, surf, country, and rockabilly I can throw at it.

I have much to contemplate obviously in stock form it still sounds good and functions well so at least time is on my side. I guess in a way I am lucky because there are still so many people out there completely unaware of the MTS thing so I can still find modules and the amps show up used. Part of me is tempted to just send in two modules (the JTM and Plexi) to be turned into the VoxLess and PlexiTweed and use those as my go to pair for a while.

The Creamback has been getting rave reviews online (people that also have Weber Legacies, which I had in my last Orange amp and liked seem to be preferring the Creamback to them). I figured being a 65 watt speaker it could give me that great vintage greenback tone without me worrying about frying it like well just about every other GB style speaker on the market (obviously there are some exceptions to that statement).

I figure as far as a single 12" speaker goes that Creamback (well greenback style tone) will suit the modules I'm desiring and tone I'm chasing far better than a lot of other speaker options especially the more modern sounding stock 75T. Will there be moments where an AlNiCo Blue, various Jensens, Fanes, etc might work better sure but the Greenback tone seems to work well for cleans and driven tones and they like pedals.

When I was playing my Egnater Tweaker I really fell in love with KT77 and 6CA7 power tubes and from the sound of those here KT77 are probably my ticket to ride.

Once I actually get invested in everything and get a chance to run things through their paces I will report back.

Well turns out I returned the RM50 combo, becauase I didn't realize the shop had an RM100 combo for only $100 more thank god for returns and exchanges.

So now I have deluxe, jtm, sl+, & clean modules.

I just couldnt pass up the bigger amp and flexibility of three modules ;)

Still plan to get the makeover, new celestion creambacks, new tubes, and modify two modules to voxless and plexitweed. But the mods will probably be on a temporary backburner as the 2x12 will require more funds :)

Welcome..Although not new here i don't post much...

Its great to to see another MTS user that plays something other than metal as there primary type music..

(Don't get me wrong.There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing metal).

But here on the forum it seems like the majority of players are metal based so i always like it when some one else comes in that prefers a different type music..

I have always felt that one reason the MTS line did not succeed was simply because Randall never tried to show people that there was much more to these amps then just another metal amp...

Because modders like Jadded Faith started producing pre amps like the OD special,Voxless,Texas special,Plexi tweed and Vybe deluxe a huge door has been opened for the players who desire vintage tones..

I can not tell you how many times i have had fellow blues man come up and ask how i am getting these vintage Blues tones out of a Randall amp..

Many have the misconception that Randall's ar nothing more than solid state metal voiced amps..1 out of maybe every 10 to 12 may have even the remotest idea what the MTS line of amps are..

When i show them how the MTS line works there mouth just drop and this does happen often believe it or not....Of course i live in the Midwest so it maybe different elsewhere..

I have been playing guitar for sometime now. I can honestly say my tone has never been better than when using Randall MTS line with modded modules.

The pedal board is gone other than modulation effects like tremolo Delay Vibe and reverb...Oh ya and a Fuzz facce..I no longer need 4 different dirt pedals compressors and so on and so forth...I must say what a relief to no longer chase pedals..Not only that but think about it when using say a Wampler Plextortion.It is a $150 dollar or more pedal but its still solid state..Using the MTS line its the real deal pure tube..

I much rather have amps than pedals and the MTS line has allowed me to do just that without the huge expense and size of 8 different amps..

Is the Tweed module 100% equal to a 56 Bassman probably not.Nor is the Od Special a 100% reincarnation of a Dumble .. But i have never owned a 56 Bassman or a Dumble so i would not know ..What i do know is the Tweed module and Od Special sound very good.. As well as many of the other modules..So thats good enough for me...

Hey CeeCee

I totally agree with your statements 100%

I think that a lot of players stereotype brands and certain products into things and become ignorant and close minded.

I should be getting my hands on my RM100 combo on Monday it's in transit via UPS.

But yeah I have yet to find any other amp that can give me so many inspiring and convincing tones without filling a room with combos/heads/cabinets.

Right now I am leaning toward the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe (for my Fender clean/slightly dirty sounds), Voxless (for the countless Vox chime/jangle tones that I want with my 12 string electric and well the countless moments with a 6 string where that british jangle/chime make for a wonderful overdriven tone), and the PlexiTweed (for that thick slightly broken up british tone, and for that vintage tweed flavor).

I'm sure that I will probably get a Hiwatt mod, an Orange mod (just trying to decide if I want OR or rocker type orange crunch/EQ), and for versatility I'll probably want a high gain module (like an XTC or Mesa Rec type deal).

But yeah it truly is a shame that the MTS line ended when it did it really would've been great for the amp market to see a line like this take off. But hey sometimes that can be a good thing because I got a mint condition RM100 2x12 combo with footswitch and three modules for $400.

$400 would be buying me a used Vox AC15, a Fender Blues/Pro Jr/Excelsior, used peavey classic 30 etc and none of them offer the headroom or versatility of this Randall.

And if for some reason I get tired of the Randall $100-$450 will buy me a module that completely transforms the amp into something new.

And the RM100 combo has the ability to be open/closed back, I'll be swapping the speakers to the Celestion Creambacks. But something else that's great is I can drop two power tubes and run it at half power. I can essentially run any powertube I'd like in the amp (6V6, EL84 with yellowjackets, 6L6, EL34, E34L, 6CA7, KT66, KT77, KT88, etc). So it's like a tweakers paradise. I really can't foresee a need to have any other amp in my arsenal with the ability to do all it can do.

And if I need different cabinet/speaker sounds I can run extension cabinets.

Sorry i forgot ..( so please forgive my double post..

As stated prior i believe we both like vintage tones...

I have a RM100 (100Watt 3 module slots) and RM20 combo (18watt 1 module slot)

The RM20 i have the stock tubes EL84's with a Celestion Greenback that comes stock also..

75% of the time the RM20's single slot has a Jadded faith Plexi/Tweed insttaled..For me this is a do it all module..Great overdriven Blues tones with the gain turned up a bit ..Then i just roll of the volume on the guitar for cleaner tones..Then when i want to scream i kick on the Plexi which sounds fantastic also....

My RM100...3 modules generally speaking are something like this...

Slot 1..Twinface Stock...I really like this module as is stock ..Although i have never heard a peaked one ..My thoughts are real simple because i like it so much stock it would be the last one that i would have tweaked so i could take care of what i felt needed attention first..

Slot 2..Gigmods Plexi..There is some difference between this one and the Jadded Faith Plexi/Tweed..I actually prefer the Plexi / Tweed but i use the RM20 25 times more than the RM100 so i leave the Plexi tweed in the RM20..With that said this is still a excellent Plexi tone from everything from Blues to Randy Rhodes type hard Rock...

Slot..3 Goes back and forth between a Jadded Faith XTC which is a extremely versatile pedal ..I truly believe that you could find a usable setting for almost any kind of modern music with this module..Although i tend to use it for high gain use..

The Voxless Jadded Faith is the other one that goes in and out of this slot..From what you voiced your interest are i would highly suggest this module..Although i do not get to use it as much as i would like because the others modules tend to cover our bands selections better it is one of the first modules i like to use when playing originals because of its more unique tones..If you like Like Vox and Matchless amps you will like this module.

I use Clestion G12-75 in a X pattern with Vintage 30's in a 4x12 and a G12-75 and Vintage 30 in a 2x12...The G12-75's and vintage 30's have been my 1st choice in speakers when using a vintage Marshall tone for sometime now..

I must say i am impressed with the Greenback in the RM20 also and would not hesitate to experiment with using them in a 2x12...

Also when i get a Od Special and a Vybe Deluxe module i may be inclined to build a 2x12 using Weber speakers for a true fender tone.

Hope this helps...

Oh shoot i forgot the RM100 has KT88 tubes installed..Once again these are known more as high gain tubes but i love them..The just seem to add extra punch without taking anything that i can notice from the vintage tones of the pre amps..

Just by changing tubes on the pre amps you can have huge differences in tone so experiment where its cheap.....also i highly suggest that you look at the XTC as your first modded pre amp because of it huge versatility..the only thing for me that even comes close as far as being versatile is the Plexi / tweed but its not in the same ball park..

nym1985 said:
Hey CeeCee

I totally agree with your statements 100%

I think that a lot of players stereotype brands and certain products into things and become ignorant and close minded.

I should be getting my hands on my RM100 combo on Monday it's in transit via UPS.

But yeah I have yet to find any other amp that can give me so many inspiring and convincing tones without filling a room with combos/heads/cabinets.

Right now I am leaning toward the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe (for my Fender clean/slightly dirty sounds), Voxless (for the countless Vox chime/jangle tones that I want with my 12 string electric and well the countless moments with a 6 string where that british jangle/chime make for a wonderful overdriven tone), and the PlexiTweed (for that thick slightly broken up british tone, and for that vintage tweed flavor).

I'm sure that I will probably get a Hiwatt mod, an Orange mod (just trying to decide if I want OR or rocker type orange crunch/EQ), and for versatility I'll probably want a high gain module (like an XTC or Mesa Rec type deal).

But yeah it truly is a shame that the MTS line ended when it did it really would've been great for the amp market to see a line like this take off. But hey sometimes that can be a good thing because I got a mint condition RM100 2x12 combo with footswitch and three modules for $400.

$400 would be buying me a used Vox AC15, a Fender Blues/Pro Jr/Excelsior, used peavey classic 30 etc and none of them offer the headroom or versatility of this Randall.

And if for some reason I get tired of the Randall $100-$450 will buy me a module that completely transforms the amp into something new.

And the RM100 combo has the ability to be open/closed back, I'll be swapping the speakers to the Celestion Creambacks. But something else that's great is I can drop two power tubes and run it at half power. I can essentially run any powertube I'd like in the amp (6V6, EL84 with yellowjackets, 6L6, EL34, E34L, 6CA7, KT66, KT77, KT88, etc). So it's like a tweakers paradise. I really can't foresee a need to have any other amp in my arsenal with the ability to do all it can do.

And if I need different cabinet/speaker sounds I can run extension cabinets.

I think you will also be surprised how fast your dirt and amp mimicking pedals will disappear and turned into modded modules...

I also down grade my amps wattage but you do not have to pull the tube just pull the fuse on the back of the amp for the tubes ..One of the other members here taught me that trick ...

the other thing i love is when switching tubes this amp is so easy to bias that just about anyone can do it without need of a tech...

Yeah that was one of the big selling points for me aside from interchangeable preamp modules was just the ease of retubing (and ability to take so many different tubes)

One thing I have been wondering (and this will probably come with more in depth time with the amp) is how beneficial it could be to upgrade the Choke, Output Transformer, and possibly Power Transformer to the Mercury Magnetics on smaller tube amps I've found that the MM upgrades really made a difference in a very good way.

I also am curious to see how the foglifter improves the amp.

I will likely shoot Rob at JF an email about that stuff.

I feel like if I retube, respeaker (most likely pair of Celestion Creambacks), recover (green brit tolex, black/tan grill cloth, brown leather handle, and cream piping), install Jaded Faith modules (instead of stock), do the foglifter mod, and upgrade the choke/transformers I could see having only invested the original street price of the amp and having essentially a customized boutique grade amp.

I know that whatever I decide to put into this amp at this point probably won't fetch resale value but I really do intend to hang onto this amp (lol just don't make those my dying words) and would like to make it my own and considering I only invested $400 to get the amp with three modules it's tough to not just wanna mod/upgrade everything.

Latest posts