JF SLO100 Raw track with sm57

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiBSW

Reaction score
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10855414

Raw track, no real editing done. Gotta get more familiar with the software.

JF SLO100 mod, rm100 (6l6s), Custom made Hamer ss-3 ghost build guitar. Rogue bridge pickup (alnico 8 magnets, with a mid punch eq). Little bit of analog reverb and analog delay. Mesa recto 2x12 cab. Shure sm57 mic. Profire 610 interface. Macbook pro with logic express software.
Settings:
IMG_0002.jpg

Let me know what yall think?? If you think it sounds good, or what I can do to improve the quality of the the clip without crazy expensive gear suggestions. I feel like I can make this work for what Im doing. I like to spend my extra dough on collecting guitars and gear :D Im gonna try and direct out and IR next.

Sounds alot better bro! I'd suggest messing around with placement for optimal recording. Where did you have the mic on this recording - did you put it at the edge of the cone?

I think the mic placement is fine but I'd recommend moving it a 1/2" closer to the center of the speaker and reducing the Bass to 5 (12 O'clock).

Always make note of your mic placement in relation to the cabinet and speaker (use the diaphram as your guide). So for instance, 11.75" from the floor, 3" from the grill, 5" from the right side of the cabinet, etc. It'll make it much easier to dial in the same tone next you want to record because moving a mic even 1/4" can change everything.

Mike P said:
I think the mic placement is fine but I'd recommend moving it a 1/2" closer to the center of the speaker and reducing the Bass to 5 (12 O'clock).

Always make note of your mic placement in relation to the cabinet and speaker (use the diaphram as your guide). So for instance, 11.75" from the floor, 3" from the grill, 5" from the right side of the cabinet, etc. It'll make it much easier to dial in the same tone next you want to record because moving a mic even 1/4" can change everything.

Thanks for the tips. I like to play with a little punch when live, but I know recording is a whole different beast. So I appreciate it, what kinda suggestions you got for editing? I wanna record some mods with a band mix when I get a free day.

LunatiBSW said:
Mike P said:

Thanks for the tips. I like to play with a little punch when live, but I know recording is a whole different beast. So I appreciate it, what kinda suggestions you got for editing? I wanna record some mods with a band mix when I get a free day.

When recording, the most important aspect of capturing a useable guitar tone is to listen to what's happening in the control room, not what's happening the recording room.

As I mentioned, your track has too much bass, making it muddy, so I suggest you turn down the bass knob to 12 O'clock for starters. Secondly, your Treble knob is cranked, yet the recording is somewhat dark and muffled. The microphone needs to be positioned closer to the center cone to capture more of the high end off the speaker.

As for the second part, "Editing", I'm not sure what you're referring to with that statement.

Sounds great, I can hear the module/amp tone qualities much better than the vids with the cam. Sounds like a module I could definitely use. Captures the SLO tone nicely. How about a new Mark X clip?

New mark x is coming, I'm tryin to get the recordings up to par then I got some things in the works with rob on the new jaded faith website. My mark x is actually getting some updates as we speak. Stay tuned......good things to come

Looking foward to it. I appreciate your effort (and others) in doing demos for everyone. Thanks.

Thank you for the demo. I didn't hear the muddiness that Mike refered to, but that was probably because my ears were picking up the maxed mids & IMO very hi treble setting. Mike's mic placement will make a difference, but my suggestion (after moving the mic) is to bring both mids and treble settings down some... Mids = 3:00 & Treble = 1:00 - 3:00.

Mike P said:
As I mentioned, your track has too much bass, making it muddy, so I suggest you turn down the bass knob to 12 O'clock for starters. Secondly, your Treble knob is cranked, yet the recording is somewhat dark and muffled. The microphone needs to be positioned closer to the center cone to capture more of the high end off the speaker.

I am going to use this info also. Thanks Mike P. I keep my bass at noon or below already along with the treble. Mids are up there between 1:00 and 3:00 already with the pres down around 11:00. Deep is at 11:00 also.

I hope to pull together some new clips this week to get a consistent spot marked for mic'ing.

Hamner1 said:
Thank you for the demo. I didn't hear the muddiness that Mike refered to, but that was probably because my ears were picking up the maxed mids & IMO very hi treble setting. Mike's mic placement will make a difference, but my suggestion (after moving the mic) is to bring both mids and treble settings down some... Mids = 3:00 & Treble = 1:00 - 3:00.

The funny thing about this eq is. I NEVER usually tweak this heavily, but I thought it was neat to try something new. I didnt think it sounds bad, but Im in the same boat as most of you that I never really go past 3 o'clock on most knobs. I messed around with it more today and found some other settings I like. Ill most likely put up some different clips with different eq of this mod, and a little different mic placement to see if yall notice a difference.

LunatiBSW said:
Hamner1 said:

The funny thing about this eq is. I NEVER usually tweak this heavily, but I thought it was neat to try something new. I didnt think it sounds bad, but Im in the same boat as most of you that I never really go past 3 o'clock on most knobs. I messed around with it more today and found some other settings I like. Ill most likely put up some different clips with different eq of this mod, and a little different mic placement to see if yall notice a difference.

I agree it wasn't horrible. I didn't listen to it & hit the stop button midway through. It was pretty good. The highs were not shrill/ice picky and the bass wasn't boomy/over powering. It's guitar stuff so the mids can't be bad unless they are missing. :lol:

That's not bad at all...I'm sure there's stuff you can do to improve it but as I suck at recording, I have no advice!

:D