Mark X & SL-OD100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a used SL-OD100 and Mark X. These are my first mods, btw.

Tonight was my first chance to try both at full volume - practicing with my band. I love both of these mods, they sound great. But, I do have a couple questions and comments.

The SLO and MarkX seem barely distiguishable from one another at high gain (as I intend on using both). The SLO has much better bottom end heft, and the MarkX has slightly more 'bite' and cuts through just a bit more. But, to my ears, they are voiced very similarly (SLO in crunch mode, focus swith down, fluid switch up - MarkX on either crunch or extreme, and shape switch down (too harsh/tinny imo in the up position)). Anyone else notice the same? Is there anything I can do to get a more 'Mesa' signature sound out of the MarkX? Also, I believe the SLO has two JJ tubes and the MarkX I think has the Electro-Harmonix (yellow lettering) tubes. Would it benefit from different tubes? I love the SLO as-is, so wouldn't want to change a thing...

Also, the SLO seems to handle drop-tuning better than the MarkX (drop C# in my case).

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I'm looking to have the SLO as my high gain Marshall-y mod, and would like the other high-gainer to be more 'modern' ala Dual Rec, Mark series, Framus Cobra, etc. for our heaviest stuff. Maybe I should be looking at something else? Snakebite, XMG, Erect, etc?

For completeness, I was running just 2 6L6's, as I seem to prefer the RM100 @ 50W. They are MESA tubes. No idea what brand my RM preamp tubes are, as I have not looked quite yet. Playing an LP Classic with super hot Gibson 500T pu in the bridge, through a Zinky custom cab loaded with custom Eminence speakers (best sounding cab I've ever heard, with anything plugged into it).

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

- Bruce J.

I have never tried a SLO-OD100 so can't help there. But I have a MarkX and Erect. I like the MarkX as a great Metallica (nails RTL) and Maiden tone. The Erect is kinda similar in tone but more raw and over the top gain available. More bottom end too. Does your MarkX have the trim pots on the board? Small adjustments I made on mine helped me get what I wanted. I did notice some tube swaps made noticeable differences too. What part of PHX are you in? It's sometimes tough with my schedule but if you want to try or compare any modules in my sig, maybe we could work it out.

I tend to dial in my mods to taste which ends up being that they sound similar to each other. Mesa'ish / Marshall'ish mods end up just having subtle differences between them by the time I am done twisting knobs. Sounds like you are doing the same thing.

Keep in mind, the power amp has a fairly large effect on how an amp will sound and feel so hitting the same power amp with different preamps will end up having some similar characteristics.

On a side note, the SLO-OD100 that I have does seem to hold the bottom end together the best when tuned down compared to my other mods. Sometimes that it is a good thing and others I want a little more squish.

eyeball - yeah, that makes sense and I may be doing the same. If that is the case, then I definitely need something else, as I dont want to be able to get the same tone from different mods - i.e. I doubt I could manage to get as similar of a tone from an R'Verb, ODS or Diezel mod. The voicing in-general needs to be different enough, otherwise the whole MTS concept is sorta moot, lol.

warlok - No, mine does not have the trim pots - from a post from JF Rob, he stopped putting them in at some point. Mine has the 'goop'. I was trying not to get too close to Metallica tone, as my band is already kinda in that vein, and dont want to make it worse (in terms of similarity, as my voice is similar to James, lol.). I was hoping more for the Chevelle kinda chunk. I think I'll try swapping preamp tubes with the SLO to see what happens, maybe that'll be the ticket. That is, if I dont sell or trade it before that, lol (got my eye on the ODS FS/FT in classifieds).

I'm a west-sider (though not by choice, lol), in Goodyear. I'd love to try that Erect, and I'm sure your curious about the SLO - and yes it is f'ing awesome! That one is a keeper for sure. I've got a pretty hectic schedule myself, but, yeah, I'm sure we could work something out.

One thing to keep in mind I think, is that I am strictly a rhythm player. I do not play any type of leads. I'm all chords all the time, lol. I'm not really that good of a player, as I kinda picked up playing as more a necessity than by ambition (our rhythm guitarist bailed unexpectedly about a year ago, and we had to figure something out quick, as we had a big gig opening for a national (Red Line Chemistry) only a couple weeks later). I've taken to it and rather enjoy it now, and am good at what I need to do - but would never claim to be 'good'.

In any case, I have no interest in what a mod sounds like while playing leads.

Corium_AZ said:
eyeball - yeah, that makes sense and I may be doing the same. If that is the case, then I definitely need something else, as I dont want to be able to get the same tone from different mods - i.e. I doubt I could manage to get as similar of a tone from an R'Verb, ODS or Diezel mod. The voicing in-general needs to be different enough, otherwise the whole MTS concept is sorta moot, lol.

actually, if you have a second guitarplayer in your band, let him dial in a tone
according to your BASIC ideas - so no changing, comments or requests when he starts dialing in
(yes you'll end up with a tone probably 'not your choice' but it may work wonders in achieving variety between channels)

Nightdare said:
Corium_AZ said:

actually, if you have a second guitarplayer in your band, let him dial in a tone
according to your BASIC ideas - so no changing, comments or requests when he starts dialing in
(yes you'll end up with a tone probably 'not your choice' but it may work wonders in achieving variety between channels)

Not a bad idea. Except I think he'll get me pretty close to where I am, as my lead guitarist is all Marshall, lol. We have very similar tonal tastes. But, a good idea nonetheless. I'll let you know how that goes.[/quote]

I certainly agree with the concept of dailing modules in to sound the same. That said some do have some overlap, while other are definitely very different in their voice and can't really get too close.

I love the SL-OD100. Still my favorite! The XTC SE I have offers a very different flavor.

I think it's natural to be drawn to a specific tone. Hey, it's what we like, right? In that regard, the versatility of the MTS can be wasted. However, what I do is dial in a tone I perceive as the amp the mod is modeled after. For example, I dial my Mark X into a Metallica's MOP or RTL tone. The Snakebite into James Murphy's tone on Testament's Live At The Fillmore album. The Damageplan into Pantera's CFH or Vulgar tone. Those are the tones I associate with these amps and what I was hoping to get out of them when I bought these mods. Could these mods all be dialed in to a similar tone? Sure. There would be subtle differences in feel or low-end or whatever, but overall fairly similar. By dialing a mod in for a specific tone associated with that amp, you will then use the mods based on what you're trying to accomplish rather than multiple mods that have your sound.

Corium_AZ said:
Not a bad idea. Except I think he'll get me pretty close to where I am, as my lead guitarist is all Marshall, lol. We have very similar tonal tastes. But, a good idea nonetheless. I'll let you know how that goes.

Well, it doesn't actually have to be the guitarplayer, everyone has a certain preference, though it wouldn't be wise when someone is trying to dial in a bluesy tone they just happen to like while your band is making music designed to melt faces :lol:

The most affecting link in the signal is your speaker, this is why most modules overlap

Latest posts