midi help!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefano5981

Reaction score
Good morning!! i'm stefano and I write from Italy, I have a problem with a Randall RM100 head and hope you can help me solve it. I can not change channels with a midi pedal. I opened the head and I've tried to change the MIDI channel, first ch 1 and 16 are now on the 8 I tried to change the channel on the midi pedal first 1 and 16 now on the 8 but I can not change the channel on the head. In theory on channel 56 and pressing on the pedal I should have the channel 1, channel 2 on 57 and 58 on channel 3. 'correct? I'm currently using a 7-pin cable and the pedal turns on the phantom power but is not communicating. Should I use the head with a g-major effect and after connecting with a standard 5-pin MIDI cable but pressing and holding the channel change on rm100 the g-major shows no sign that he had received no command. It 'possible that the fuse has blown dela card midi but the phantom power functions the same?
thanks in advance.

Hi Stefano, Welcome!

56,57,58 and 59 are the CC numbers for instant access. Are you using a midi controller that is sending midi Control Changes? What controller are you using? Just so I understand correctly, you now have both the amp and the controller set to midi channel 8? Is there a reason you don't want to use program changes to change the channels?

With the controller connected to the midi in on the amp and the g-major connected to the midi thru on the amp, does the g-major receive midi messages from the controller?

thanks for the welcome.
I'm currently using this pedal midi. It is an advance op 128
http://www.advancetubetech.com/prodotti/prodotti.asp?artid=833

I bought the head used, so I haven't his original pedal, I tried to connect this to change channels but I do not know how.
The pedal sends program change and work properly when connected directly to the g-major.
If the pedal connected to MIDI IN of randall and MIDI THRU of Randall on MIDI IN or THRU of the g-major Nothing happens. The g-major does not light "midi in" that normally turns on when it receives a command.
I thought maybe it was the wrong midi channel in the head and armed with a screwdriver I removed from its case and I did the test by moving the channel from 1 to 16 and then I tried to channel 8, but nothing.
I thought about the blown fuse, however, 'I see that when I connect the pedal with the 7-pin cable pedals receiving power but I don't understand It 'possible that the fuse is burned but that the card midi face pass the same current to the pin 2 of phantom power?
Thanks infinitely

Can you set the controller to omni so it sends on all channels? If midi thru from the amp to midi in of the g-major is not passing messages to the g-major, there might be an issue with the amp. The fact that phantom power works is puzzling. Are you certain all components are on the same midi channel now? Did you change the midi channel on the g-major to 8 after you changed the amp and controller? That could explain the midi thru not working. Also, don't rule out the midi cables; verify they are all working as expected.

Are there modules loaded in each slot?

thank you fot your help and te time you've spending
the pedal does not have the function OMNI to send program change to all channels. I can choose which channel work 1-16 and manage 0/127 or 1/128
i'm trying to find the cause of the problem. In fact, I'd like to try using only the pedals midi to change the 3 modules inserted, to understand whether the problem is in the IN of the head or in THRU to the multieffects
I tried to change channels on the g-major and now is set on 8 but no signs of life. The same for the cables midi. both are new, at first I thought the problem was that.
But how do I change just 3 modules with pedals?
Now that both the randall that are on board midi channel midi 8 pressing the key 56 to 57 and 58 should be able to change the forms of the head? it's right?

stefano5981 said:
But how do I change just 3 modules with pedals?
Now that both the randall that are on board midi channel midi 8 pressing the key 56 to 57 and 58 should be able to change the forms of the head? it's right?

If you haven't already looked at this, give it a good read:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5606

Rather than trying to work with midi CC, start with simple PC commands.
Follow these instructions:
SAVING A PRESET ON THE RM100:
Pressing and holding the channel select switch for 2 seconds will store the current setting.

? Press button 1 on the foot controller then using the channel select button on the amp, make channel 1 is on. If so, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.
? Now, press button 2 on the foot controller. If the amp does not automatically switch to channel 2, switch the amp to channel 2 using the front panel channel select button. Once the footswitch and amp are both on channel 2, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.
? Now, press button 3 on the foot controller. If the amp does not automatically switch to channel 3, switch the amp to channel 3 using the front panel channel select button. Once the footswitch and amp are both on channel 3, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.

Just curious, when you say you are "pressing the key 56", how are you doing that? Are you stepping on the 5 then the 6 buttons or going to #56? Are you specifying CC56 from a preset or program from the controller? Are you an expert with this controller or are you still learning it? I don't want to make any assumptions on whether it is a midi issue or user error.

Report back.

Just so we are on the same page, here is the most simple way to set up the RM100 with the G-major:

Lets say you have 3 presets on the G-major; preset 1 is just some reverb and chorus for a clean tone, preset 2 is reverb and slapback for a crunch tone and preset 3 is a big delay for your lead tone.

Pressing 1,2 and 3 on your controller will switch between these three presets.
Select preset 1, and use the button on the amp to select channel 1. Press and hold the button for 2 seconds to save it. Select channel 2 on the controller. Preset 2 on the G-major is selected. Now use the button on the amp to switch to channel 2. Press and hold the button for 2 seconds to save it. repeat steps with preset 3 and channel 3. Now the amp is mapped to your G-major presets.

It sounds like this approach would not work at the moment as the amp is not passing the midi thru to the G-major. Try going from the controller to the G-major first to get that part working as I described above. Then, connect the amp via midi out/thru from the G-major to the midi in on the amp. Don't worry about using phantom power from the amp to power the controller yet while we troubleshoot.

If this doesn't work, there is an issue with the midi on your amp.

I hope this helps!

Marco

The website for the OP128 is blocked at my work but from what I can tell, it doesn't appear to send midi CC messages anyway. So that would explain why you're not having any luck! Follow my instructions above and report back.

thank you marco
I finally make it all work.
I do little update for all users to explain how I solved the problem.
I had to re-open the head and change the channel midi. I went back to channel 1 and so I finally able to set the midi controller to change the modules. Thanks Marco but i'm beginner with midi technology although sound for many years. In this way, by switching the channel 1 on the head and the channel 1 on the pedal the two instruments communicate between them. The problem is born when i connecting the G-major with the head. I have had to lose another bit 'of time.
First I went to the pedals from out IN the head with a 7-pin MIDI cable, then from THRU of the head to IN the g-major but it did not work right. It seemed that the g-major not received any signal midi.
MIDI IN was always off. I finally reset the g-major so sometimes received good signal but not always. I finally found the problem .
Midi cable I bought did not work well. Trying to another in my house finally everything started working fine. Now I can finally change the preset of the pedals and have 2 clean, 2 cruch, 2 lead with 2 separate volumes and with different effects to use during the live shows. A single pedal powered with phantom power and all the free space in front of the stage

I hope this long post can be of help to other users of this beautiful head. Thanks a lot to everyone !!
PS Marco if you come to Italy I will be happy to offer you a beer. Thank you so much for the precious help you gave me !. eternally grateful

Latest posts