Mod + Poweramp = tone?!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must I'm sorry and quite a bit surprise this thread took a turn for the worse. It was meant to be about how the power amp (and cab etc ) could affect the tone when comparing modded modules against the originals they intend to replicate.

Don't get me wrong here either; differences described above as significant are still in the bigger perspective very very small, mod vs original are always in the same ballpark really, we're really splitting hairs here.

Even though a noob in this territory I can still safely say we're all **** fortunate to have so many skilled modders around. Since I live in Europe (and also a non-native speaker) I've had the pleasure of corresponding first and fore most with Anthony regarding modding etc, and I totally agree with rhequiem!

I was not considering cultural and language issues here so I apologize if I have offended anyone. And I agree, that all do great work.
ricky

I did not consider language barrier either, but at the same time on at least 2 different threads I thought Anthony was coming across defensive or rather questioning Rob's work/designs. I really wanted to say something but felt it could only possibly stir up something. I'm glad Rob chimed in, as obviously, I was not the only one to get a sense of this from Anthony's posts. I think Rob did it more tactfully than I would have for sure.

Maybe it was the language barrier, maybe it was the chain of events that skewed my perception, or possibly it came across as Anthony intended. At any rate, it seemed to me, like Anthony was speaking from a bruised ego point of view.

Hamner1 said:
Maybe it was the language barrier, maybe it was the chain of events that skewed my perception, or possibly it came across as Anthony intended. At any rate, it seemed to me, like Anthony was speaking from a bruised ego point of view.

I agree.....definately some mud slinging happening.....

Cut the $#it with the language barrier bulls#it. Antonin is an intelligent guy. His command of the english language is just fine and completely understandable as evident in his construction of his analogies and snide comments.

I could give a ratts@ss about whats going on between these to guys. A copycat is a copycay regardless of who makes it to the mouse trap first. But for christ's sake, language barrier excuse?? Lame.

Whoa, you need to relax. I only mentioned the language barrier as an attempt at reason and to diffuse the situation a bit, to be of general assistance in attempting to steer a thread that could get ugly away from that. So your contribution is to pop in attack me for no reason? If you ask me, that's lame. If you have a personal issue with me, feel free to PM me rather than clutter this thread with irrelevant and combative nonsense.

bhuard75 said:
Cut the $#it with the language barrier bulls#it. Antonin is an intelligent guy. His command of the english language is just fine and completely understandable as evident in his construction of his analogies and snide comments.

I could give a ratts@ss about whats going on between these to guys. A copycat is a copycay regardless of who makes it to the mouse trap first. But for christ's sake, language barrier excuse?? Lame.

Like what has been said many times before...all the modders do some great work. None of them invented the tube amp and everything since has just been variations...nobody should be taking credit for anything here (Well maybe Bruce can take a little bit of credit! ). Work hard, keep it humble and rewards will come.

rhequiem said:
This is a public forum and people are free to post as they like, as long as it doesn't violate the terms of service or anything, from my understanding. There's the constructive part.

Remember that?

I can appreciate your compassion and effort to help massage the confrontation between the two. Lets face it, they dont get along and chose not to get along. I see no reason to sugar coat anything for the sake of either one. Let them hash it out. But I'm sure as hell not gonna make excuses for them.

So..... technically, Seynour Duncan had the first production modular amp back in the late 80's http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/Convert.htm

Bruce Egnater revisited this idea, refined it and made it sound better. It was patented and licensed to Randall as well as being produced by Egnater amps.

I'm a little surprised by the pissing match going on here. None of the modders broke any new ground here. All these preamp circuits are copies of other designs to begin with and our resident modders are tweaking these designs even further, not reinventing the wheel. While I appreciate that now a days you can have one of these talented guys build you your sound in a module, I think its a mute point. Its kinda like a cover band....you might be able to play another artist's music well, but no matter what, its still a copy that was never your creation to begin with. If you really want to trace it back, thank Leo Fender and Jim Marshall.....the Original Modders.

I've been around the modular thing since Bruce rolled it out almost a decade ago. I've seen, heard and played just about every module ever made, modded or offered. Guess what, the Marshall mods all sound like Marshall's, the Fender mods sound like Fender, the Soldano like a Soldano......just all different takes. Doesnt matter who originally made it or who modded it. Whether or not the modification is a couple resistors or a complete redo of the circuit its not something groundbreaking. It's tweaking a circuit for a desired result and yes, it does require some good knowledge and a good set of ears.

I appreciate all the Modders for what they have offered to this little niche in the amp world. I own several examples of each of their work. No one is better than any other, just different. Some good execution of tweaking and component choices and some Modders are equally as talented at offering visual upgrades and marketing their skills.
All that being said, I don't get some of the egotistical attitude here. You are just copying a copy to begin with, putting your name on it, and like a cover band, making some $$ from someone else's creation.

..Steps off Soapbox...

slo_module_2.JPG

I am curious as to why you blocked out part of the name of this module?
For the people who missed the thread I posted a Soldano module with that
very name on it and got bashed for it. Seems this module has that on it
too. Hmmmmm.............

Did you guys know that I invented the tube amp? It is perfectly OK for you guys to copy me as I am old and have to go to the bathroom a lot.

+1

muudrock said:
So..... technically, Seynour Duncan had the first production modular amp back in the late 80's http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/Convert.htm

Bruce Egnater revisited this idea, refined it and made it sound better. It was patented and licensed to Randall as well as being produced by Egnater amps.

I'm a little surprised by the pissing match going on here. None of the modders broke any new ground here. All these preamp circuits are copies of other designs to begin with and our resident modders are tweaking these designs even further, not reinventing the wheel. While I appreciate that now a days you can have one of these talented guys build you your sound in a module, I think its a mute point. Its kinda like a cover band....you might be able to play another artist's music well, but no matter what, its still a copy that was never your creation to begin with. If you really want to trace it back, thank Leo Fender and Jim Marshall.....the Original Modders.

BigBrewtus said:
I am curious as to why you blocked out part of the name of this module?
For the people who missed the thread I posted a Soldano module with that
very name on it and got bashed for it. Seems this module has that on it
too. Hmmmmm.............
This was a very old mod, that Anthony made for himself so he decided to put "Soldano" on it. He decided to block it out later, since he was selling that mod later on. It would be wrong to keep the Soldano trademark on it then.

About the language barrier ... well on one side, yes Anthony can express himself fine. On the other hand, I myself have problems with it too as you can see earlyer in the thread. Especially in these heated debates it can cause problems because even native speakers get misunderstood when people read and write too quickly and hotheaded.

By the way, I thought Bruce developed the Seymour Duncan amps too? :?
Seems I was mistaken about that..

Right? Hopefully they'll take a few more days off so I can grow my nails back in...whew! Like muudrock said: whether you're tweaking C1 or completely stripping/rewiring, IMO you're doing a great service to us MTS rockers. The faceplate and business model copycatting chicken/egg debate honestly shouldn't involve us. Happier than a pig in **** when my amp purrs so let the 2 grown men figure it out. If you have a preference and wanna fanboy it up, cool. Don't use it as an opportunity to stir the pot and bash the other guy's name in his own backyard though. (Not a direct reference to anyone, just $.02)

**Trips over soapbox... "crap"

Latest posts