• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mod services

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
First, a pic of SLP+ Module...

SLPfinal.jpg

The Randall modules offer a great bang for the buck, but there are some improvements that can be made. Basically I make mods switchable - so you can always go back to stock, or to your modded tones. I really think modding a module permanently is a bad idea, since stock these modules do have their uses. Sure, some of the bass amounts on the modules aren't the best for tight rhythms, but they sure do sound smooth for leads!

Mod List (add $10 per module for shipping, unless you're buying a package, then shipping is on me)

$49 - removal of the xicons (those small brown caps) and replacement with orange drops of the same value. It can be a little tight in spots, but the OD's will fit. If bass cap or tone control changes are desired, can do this at same time for free. NO SWITCHES installed, stock faceplate. On all mods, I will take entire module apart and remove old parts/solder the new parts in properly, won't just cut out the old parts and solder on top of them. Orange drops have a clearer more open tone to my ears. I will also change out the stock LED for a color change if you'd like... I have green, yellow, white, blue, and red.

$49 - bass mod with three way switch. I'll take the stock value and make it '2' with two degrees of cut underneath, giving stock, some bass cut and a lot of bass cut. Modules still have low bass, just are much tighter for quick rhythms and percussive leads. Can do custom values if desired. (I'm sure some crazy person is going to want MORE bass) This will entail drilling of your module 'carriage' and will look MUCH better with the optional faceplate below. Old faceplate will NOT fit after this mod. You can still use the module, as the 'carriage' holds everything on it, but it won't be very cool looking.

$69 - 'JCM 800' mod, otherwise known as a tone stack mod. This one allows switching between stock values for the tone stack and a different value. Values used will depend on module. This also requires drilling. Old faceplate will NOT fit after this mod. Old faceplate will NOT fit after this mod. You can still use the module, as the 'carriage' holds everything on it, but it won't be very cool looking. I can shift the tonal center up or down a bit, but I'm not going to be able to turn a clean into a grail with this.

$25 - custom faceplate. colors available : gold w/black lettering, black w/white lettering, white w/black, silver w/black. Will match the mods and module (I'm not going to sharpie any control items or module names). Can make some alterations if desired, ask for details. This will add some time to your order, especially if you have a custom plate in mind.

Since labor is included in everything above, here are the combos (all combos include faceplate and shipping)

$99 cap mod w/switchable bass
$119 cap mod w/tone mod
$119 switchable bass + tone mod
$149 cap mod w/switchable bass and switchable tone

One other thing: I gig my Randall MTS gear, so I would also entertain trades for modules also.

email [email protected] with questions. Thanks!

rmilbeck said:
Would you consider selling simple yet detailed schematics for the 'add a switch' mods? (bass and tone stack)
Say for $5 a pop, Paypal payment, email delivery?
Just a thought.

Russ

Honestly, and I do NOT mean this as a slam to anyone... I would think that anyone that would be able to do this without ruining the module would be able to figure it out. I would feel sick if someone followed my directions/schematic and screwed up their module. Just replacing a component isn't nearly as hard in my opinion.

One can pretty much just cut a component out and solder on top without removing the board for a non switch mod... not the way I'd do it, but I've seen some hacked modules like that. It kinda scares me when I think about people taking drills to their modules without having much of a DIY background or experience with amps.

FYI, I wouldn't sell information like that anyways... I'd rather share it. There are some non-switch mods I'm playing with that if they pan out, I'll gladly make available to anyone with a soldering iron. I just don't want to be the guy who helped people ruin their modules.

Pete

Awesome work, dude! I've been waiting to see the final product.
Gotta few questions for ya.

I realize this is something new, but what's your est. turn around?
Can you do different fonts for faceplates?
Can you duplicate original faceplates, including sig. modules?
Could you explain the available tone stack mods?

Sorry for the interrogation and ignorance.

Scott

mesa-vht said:
Awesome work, dude! I've been waiting to see the final product.
Gotta few questions for ya.

I realize this is something new, but what's your est. turn around?
Can you do different fonts for faceplates?
Can you duplicate original faceplates, including sig. modules?
Could you explain the available tone stack mods?

Sorry for the interrogation and ignorance.

Scott

I figure any question one of you asks, there's probably others that are curious too. No problem.

Est. Turn around depends on parts availability - I'm going to have faceplates done as I go, so call it 1-2 weeks tops, unless I get covered up. One thing I'm considering is trading a modded module for a stocker, then I'd already have them done up... it would limit some of the options though to 'whatever was in stock' but would be a better/quicker turnaround for someone that needed a module asap.

Sure, I can do different fonts for faceplates. I listed the color options too. Can also do simple graphics, but if you want a photograph on there, you're out of luck.

Regarding duplicating sig modules... I wouldn't be able to do one just like theirs. I don't want to be a 'Mr.Scary' knockoff guy, or whatever... I'm sure we can come up with a cool looking faceplate that might have the same sort of flavor (skulls or flames or a treadplate pattern) without trying to duplicate something that's already out there.

Tone stack mods are going to depend on the module. Basically we can shift the tonal 'center' - that's mainly what's going on with the JCM800 mod, it moves the center up a bit so it's not so dark. If you had a module that was too bright, we can shift it down, or change the frequency response a bit. Probably the best thing to do if you have a module other than an SL+ is to email me and we can discuss what can be done.

I should have more sound clips as I mod other modules... I have a Recto, Ultra, Ultra Lead, Deluxe, Brown along with the SL+, and each is getting modded. Thing about making them switchable is, you can instantly compare and get quite a few different tones... with the bass mod (3 way switch) and the tone stack, that gives you six different combinations, which is really good for tweaking a module. I played a gig saturday, and set the tone stack to JCM800, then ended up using the tightest setting on the bass since the amp was cranked. If I ran less volume, I might have put it in the middle... it's nice to have that degree of flexibility.

Pete

awesome job Pete! I have to get a custom faceplate from you and by the way I have a deluxe module in route...trade or buy it?
jeff

What kind of mod are you planning to do with the Brown and the Deluxe?
I'm really happy with my Brown stock, but as I've mentioned to you before, really can't get the Deluxe to sound the way I wanted, way too compressed with no sag or character to the tone, lifeless.
I'm curious what you can come up with for these 2 modules.
Tung

tung said:
What kind of mod are you planning to do with the Brown and the Deluxe?
I'm really happy with my Brown stock, but as I've mentioned to you before, really can't get the Deluxe to sound the way I wanted, way too compressed with no sag or character to the tone, lifeless.
I'm curious what you can come up with for these 2 modules.
Tung

I personally like where the EQ sits on the brown, but there are a few ways to bump up the gain a notch that I may explore. My modded SL+ killed it so bad at the gig though that I ran the brown as a clean tone. :)

I don't own a deluxe (yet: It's on the way) but the 'real' deluxes I've played were compressed, kinda ratty sounding amps... think Neal Young, not Eric Johnson clean strat tones. From looking at the schematic, it rpobably could use a slight shift up in the EQ to get a little sparkle in there. We'll see once I get it in my hands.

Pete

Pete, good for you that you have taken the plunge and decided to run a small little business modding mods. That SLP+ is very professional looking and the clips sound GREAT!

I WILL be contacting you for a SL+ mod in the near future.

Michael

MichaelG said:
Pete, good for you that you have taken the plunge and decided to run a small little business modding mods. That SLP+ is very professional looking and the clips sound GREAT!

I WILL be contacting you for a SL+ mod in the near future.

Michael

Thanks man. I doubt it's going to compete with my day job, but if I can make a few bucks and such, then it works for me. My main idea was to figure out some cool stuff with these modules, use it for myself and share it with others.

Pete

I can't wait to hear some more mods Pete.

Maybe some day you could turn the Recto (Rectified) into a fire-breathing monster hey :)

tlingen said:
I can't wait to hear some more mods Pete.

Maybe some day you could turn the Recto (Rectified) into a fire-breathing monster hey :)

A voicing switch on the Recto would be the c00lest mod indeed....but the Recto already rips with the input cap mod...sounds about 95% == Modern Mode on a real recto.

wilson7344 said:
hey pete were can we here these clips at? troy

Modded recto clips:

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/orange.mp3

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/red.mp3

SL+ mods:

http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/nomods.mp3

http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/moddedSLP.mp3

Keep in mind above are just a few settings... each module actually has 6 (three different bass settings, x2 different eq/channel/whatever you want to call it settings).

Pete

Latest posts