Module Recommendations for Dual-Mono Rack Rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totenkampf

Reaction score
Getting back into playing recently and new to the MTS world. I have been toying with the idea of a rig where I ran a 6L6GC tubed head and a E34L tubed head on either side of a stereo rig. I guess this is more correctly referred to as a dual mono rig since I am not actually spacing my cabinets out, I only intend to blend to outputs in stereo wired cabs so that I can get different layers of tone. After browsing around here for a couple weeks it appears that this isnt a new idea and once I diagrammed audiomidijace's setup I know this is the direction that I want to go in. I want to use preamp modules and loudspeakers that favor the tubes being used in the power section on that side and am not sure where to start with the bewildering number of preamp mods out there. I was thinking that I would have each RM4/M4 set up with a clean type, two rhythm types, and a lead type that I like. I play mainly the older death metal / thrash type music that features cut mids in the rhythms, even though I am playing around with 7 string guitars I dont really favor the 'modern' tone much. I used to love the sound of my Digitech 2120's acoustic sim going through my JC120 for classical type passages but the Roland died in a hurricane so it seems that the JF Super Clean is a no brainer. I have liked what I have heard from the JF Snakebite, SM Mamba, SM Angel E, and some of what I have heard from the Deizel and Krank based mods. I would love to hear a SG Afterlife in case one ever pops up again. I like the JF Trilogy and SM Camerock for the lead side too.

I know tone is subjective but I would like to hear a few opinions on where to start.

Also, is it possible to find a MIDI driven A/B/Y switch so that I could switch the Super Clean through both sides of the dual-mono or would I need to get a module for each RM4?

Totenkampf said:
Getting back into playing recently and new to the MTS world. I have been toying with the idea of a rig where I ran a 6L6GC tubed head and a E34L tubed head on either side of a stereo rig. I guess this is more correctly referred to as a dual mono rig since I am not actually spacing my cabinets out, I only intend to blend to outputs in stereo wired cabs so that I can get different layers of tone. After browsing around here for a couple weeks it appears that this isnt a new idea and once I diagrammed audiomidijace's setup I know this is the direction that I want to go in. I want to use preamp modules and loudspeakers that favor the tubes being used in the power section on that side and am not sure where to start with the bewildering number of preamp mods out there. I was thinking that I would have each RM4/M4 set up with a clean type, two rhythm types, and a lead type that I like. I play mainly the older death metal / thrash type music that features cut mids in the rhythms, even though I am playing around with 7 string guitars I dont really favor the 'modern' tone much. I used to love the sound of my Digitech 2120's acoustic sim going through my JC120 for classical type passages but the Roland died in a hurricane so it seems that the JF Super Clean is a no brainer. I have liked what I have heard from the JF Snakebite, SM Mamba, SM Angel E, and some of what I have heard from the Deizel and Krank based mods. I would love to hear a SG Afterlife in case one ever pops up again. I like the JF Trilogy and SM Camerock for the lead side too.

I know tone is subjective but I would like to hear a few opinions on where to start.

Also, is it possible to find a MIDI driven A/B/Y switch so that I could switch the Super Clean through both sides of the dual-mono or would I need to get a module for each RM4?

Hiya, you might also wish to consider running an RM4s or M4 into a stereo power amp (like an RT2/50 - I have one in the classifieds right now)...That way the same power amp can run two different types of power tubes into two different sides of a cab or two cabs...It's the easiest way to do what you want I think....

I am actually considering that Matt. I just bought a new-old stock RM50C combo for use as one of the power amps but I decided it is silly to not use the excellent stereo Redstar Blackjack cabinets that I already own. I may just sell it and go the power amp route. I would love to pick up the RT2/50 but its a little rich for my blood right now since I have so much to gear to find still. I need to go through the gear closet and get rid of some stuff to free up some cash lol. I am also looking at the Carvin T100 or maybe one of the Mesa 50 watt stereo amps.

Latest posts