My first modded module - Salvation H-Watt - quick review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
I have couple of eggie modules at Anthony's waiting for modding, but I was being really far too curious about this modded module concept - so I bought a H-Watt from a very nice gentleman here on the forum.

Thought I'd share my thoughts about the H-Watt module since I've seen there's been some buzz about this one lately;

First of all I'm very familiar with a seventies HiWatt, and it is very special sounding amp with an unique tone that I instantly can tell apart from other amps.

I also have pretty much every egnater module there was/is, and sometimes doublets or triplets of them, and although I really like what I hear and can dial in, I always feel that I get an approximation of the tone I'm after, a good approx though. I do think the mts tube concept still tonewise is superior to the fractal axe fx2 and the kemper (even though the kemper is doing a better job than fractal I think) and I'm very happy with the eggie stock tones.

However, even though I've only had the H-watt for 2 days - it's the only thing I play through right now. And I'm mainly a high gain guy.. This is the gain/clean push/pull pot version and I love the clean (only rivalled by the clean of my E580 Engl preamp) but it can also be pretty **** mean (but not high gain). After a minute of playing I find my self thinking I'm playing though that old Hiwatt amp..

I Highly recommend this mod! I've seen people on this forum saying that the sound clips at salvation's website are better than reality - i'd say that the 2 H-watt sound clips are **** accurate and really reflect the tone of the mod, at least in this case! I'm using exclusively VHT (aka Fryette) power amps (been using a M4 to a VHT 2902 power amp when exploring the H-watt) so I can't say anything about effect of tone from a eg randall power section.

I have no affiliation with salvation mods, and there's no benefits for me to boost the rep of this module - since I'll never sell it :!: This is a keeper so go out and get your own H-watt!! :D

Thanks for the review. I would sure like to own one of these. Wondering what speakers are you using? The Hiwatt sound seems to have alot to do with Fanes, but I have never owned one and honestly have never even heard one in person. Do you think the speaker choice is as much a part of it or does it matter so much. In my experience, speaker choice is a big factor in tone search, as It has made quite a difference in modules I use. I have found that for the 59rr plat module sounds so much better with my 2x12 cab than the stock speaker in my combo amp. But, the Blackface and Super V sound better with the more wider range speaker g12t in the combo. Thanks again as this module is on my need to own list.

Cool review thanks! This is one mod I never tried, so way to stoke the GAS!

I've seen people on this forum saying that the sound clips at salvation's website are better than reality
This is garbage- the mods are dead on to the clips IMO...but one must utilize technique in tweaking, playing and recording if they are to get similar results. I've had mixed results, but they are due to my own user errors. I never once thought that I couldn't get the same sound out of a module that I heard in a clip. I admire an "end product" with appropriate studio polish, as opposed to dry clips that sound uninspiring- it gives you a target of excellence to shoot for.

We just built an accurate Hiwatt DR-103 module and I'm loving it as well. It kind of sits between the Marshall Super Lead and Orange OR120 tonewise.

The actual Hiwatt DR-103 has a unique tonestack and PI, and additional Cathode Follower stages when compared to the Marshalls, Oranges, and Fenders of the day. We got most of that into ours sans one Cathode Follower (and PI of course), so it's pretty accurate.

Great with Fanes, and Greenbacks too for a more Marshall-like vibe, though back in the day the most famous Hiwatt user (Townsend) used JBL's a good part of the time (probably because he'd blow anything else up diming his Hiwatts night after night LOL!).

Great amp!

The only thing I've noticed to listen for with regards to the Salvation demos would be the occasional double tracking of some parts (which is pretty easy to hear if you listen to what's being played and is super common in recording).

I think they post super useful demos of their modules, and feel very comfortable basing a purchasing decision on what I've heard there. They obviously go to some pains to make quality recordings and it shows.

Mike361 said:
I would sure like to own one of these. Wondering what speakers are you using? The Hiwatt sound seems to have alot to do with Fanes, but I have never owned one and honestly have never even heard one in person. Do you think the speaker choice is as much a part of it or does it matter so much. In my experience, speaker choice is a big factor in tone search, as It has made quite a difference in modules I use. I have found that for the 59rr plat module sounds so much better with my 2x12 cab than the stock speaker in my combo amp..

I agree, one should not underestimate the impact the influence cabs and speakers have on tone. However I simply use a 2x12 cab with Chinese celest vintage 30s, mostly because it's convenient for several reasons including I have a feeling it is often abused by a another band sharing our rehearsal room..

In my opinion I feel the power amp is a huge factor in the overall tone. I think usually people complain about the rack gear due to individual components including the power amp doesn't simply match up to the components within a head (or combo). With the modded modules and an RM4 (or M4) you have a great preamp, but you have to combine it with a high quality power amp as well. 8)

crankyrayhanky said:
Cool review thanks! This is one mod I never tried, so way to stoke the GAS!

I've seen people on this forum saying that the sound clips at salvation's website are better than reality
This is garbage- the mods are dead on to the clips IMO...but one must utilize technique in tweaking, playing and recording if they are to get similar results. I've had mixed results, but they are due to my own user errors. I never once thought that I couldn't get the same sound out of a module that I heard in a clip. I admire an "end product" with appropriate studio polish, as opposed to dry clips that sound uninspiring- it gives you a target of excellence to shoot for.

It might be my speakers connected to my computer, but using my H-watt/M4 into the VHT 2100 classic to me generates an even better tone than the recorded salvation clips. I think the clips of the H-watt is dead on accurate regarding the character of the tone and it does very well with a vht 2902 or even better with a vht 2150. But for that vintage woody tone, nothing compares to the vht 2100 classic.. This is a great module folks! :D

certainly my favorite clean of all time. townsend and gilmour tones galore. I think it gets a bad rap by some because it's not as "easy" to dial in as a fender or marshall, it all comes down to how you blend the normal and bright channel.

Latest posts