My Trip to Florida Discount Music...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMV12

Reaction score
Florida Discount Music is my local guitar shop. About two weeks ago i took my Jackson King V up there to have them set it up with some 12 gauge D'Addario's and to check out the frets b/c i was having some tuning troubles. If it wasn't for the tuning troubles, then i would've done it myself.

They said it would be done in 4-5 days. It took about two weeks. I was a little disappointed b/c that was my only guitar and i had my Randall RM80 sitting in my room with no guitar. But i just got it back and it sounds really good. Still a little problem with the tuning, but not as bad. We also discovered that the trem arm fixture actually does come out!!; when i tried, the allen screw was so tight, it wouldn't move. The guy up at the store put some elbow grease on it and it came loose. The arm is really loose, so that is why i was concerned.

But the highlight of my trip was when they let me try out an amp to make sure the guitar sounded perfect. At first the guy directed me to a Line 6 spider, which i used to use b4 i got the Randall. I was like "i have used one of those, and i am desperately trying to sell it; it was terrible. Can i try a Mesa?" Well then he took me to a Mesa Single Rectifier with white tolex that looked sweet!! :twisted: :twisted: !! I plugged it in, let it warm up, set everything to my preferred levels......

I was like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this what paradise sounds like? :lol:

This is the best thing i have ever played on in forever. I couldn't believe how great it sounded. I still like the Randall, but the Mesa was amazing. They nearly had to use the jaws of life to get me away from it. If i could've, i would've sat there for hours just playing ever metal riff that came to mind and then some!!

Once i was satisfied and found the guitar to be in good conditions, i regretfully turned the amp off and went to the desk while someone put the backplate and truss rod cover back on. I started talking to him about the truss rod issue i had and when i set it up last time, and how i thought the frets needed some work. He said it was fine, and it is. Then we started talking about Floyd Roses. He got the arm fixture off and said if i wanted another one that was tighter, then it was $20. Something i'll consider. But preamp tubes are the biggest priority right now. Hopefully that will bring the Randall up to level of the Mesa.

But my ultimate question i have to ask after explaining this to you is: What module or mod can get me as close as possible to the Mesa Rectifier sound????? Or something similar to the Mesa Rect?? Pete Recto? Mesa Mark? Deadplate? 1666? Can my 1087 enter that territory?? Ultra XL?

Settings i had on the Single Rect:

Channel 2: Output about 8-9 o'clock
Level: 8-10 o'clock (i was in a store, so couldn't bring it up too loud)
Gain: 4-5 o'clock
Bass: 4-5 o'clock
Middle: 2-3 'o'clock
Treble: 3-4 o'clock

I have the 1087, ULead, Clean, and Blackface. Will the ULead -> Mesa Mark get me close to the Single Rect? 1086 -> 1666? Recto -> Pete Recto/Deadplate? What would you recommend??? I hear the Grail is pretty close, but i'm not sure if that is what i want. Opinions? Suggestions?

But the moral of the story: The Mesa Single Rectifier is irrefutably amazing. I could not believe my ears. I want to go back and play it again. Maybe next time i will try the Mark V :D

Thanks, John.

I had a single rectifier for awhile- direct a/b with the PeteRecto...I no longer own the Mesa

Grail is right there and would make you happy
1666 & 1087 are cool tones, but not the same
never tried a deadplate

crankyrayhanky said:
I had a single rectifier for awhile- direct a/b with the PeteRecto...I no longer own the Mesa

never tried a deadplate
Ya, i think part of what i liked about the Rectifier was the 12 gauge strings on my guitar b/c i'm playing the 1087 right now and it sounds unbelievably better than when i had the 10's.

What i'm thinking about doing is either selling the 1087 to get a 1086 to turn into the 1666, or get the Ultra XL or Recto and see how it treats me. If i don't like it too much or i want more, i was thinking of either the Benzin, Deadplate, Pit Viper, or Custom 3. For the Recto maybe Pete's mod. But i'm still deciding. The ULead is definitely going to Pete. I think that will give me what i want.

But the 12 gauge strings sound incredible; perfect for the type of metal i like. Harmonics sound a whole lot better and come out a lot easier. It sounds thicker, fuller, and deeper.

Once i re-tube the rig, i'm sure it will sound perfect. But i'm still looking into mods nonetheless. I'm really pushing for either the Benzin or 1666.

Thanks, John.

Pete Mark is nothing like the Recto, as it's based on the Mark series ;) I would go for a Grail though. The the (pardon the pun) holy grail of stock recto tones!

Shinozoku said:
Pete Mark is nothing like the Recto, as it's based on the Mark series ;) I would go for a Grail though. The the (pardon the pun) holy grail of stock recto tones!
i know it is based on the Mark Series. I was just saying that is will be a good mod to get. I don't really like the ULead stock, but the vids of the Mark sound great. I guess i can try the Mark V next time i'm up at discount. It was right next to the Single Rect i was playing. If i had the time, i would've tried it out too, but i had to leave pretty quickly.

I'll look into the Grail. If i don't like it, then i can always get it mod'd right? Or sell it for something else. But i'll decide once i have new preamp tubes. I'm hoping that will improve my sound. I'm sure it will, but it will be a while before i can afford it. If only i can find someone who wants a Line 6 Spider.

JKMV12 said:
crankyrayhanky said:

never tried a deadplate
Ya, i think part of what i liked about the Rectifier was the 12 gauge strings on my guitar b/c i'm playing the 1087 right now and it sounds unbelievably better than when i had the 10's.

What i'm thinking about doing is either selling the 1087 to get a 1086 to turn into the 1666, or get the Ultra XL or Recto and see how it treats me. If i don't like it too much or i want more, i was thinking of either the Benzin, Deadplate, Pit Viper, or Custom 3. For the Recto maybe Pete's mod. But i'm still deciding. The ULead is definitely going to Pete. I think that will give me what i want.

But the 12 gauge strings sound incredible; perfect for the type of metal i like. Harmonics sound a whole lot better and come out a lot easier. It sounds thicker, fuller, and deeper.

Once i re-tube the rig, i'm sure it will sound perfect. But i'm still looking into mods nonetheless. I'm really pushing for either the Benzin or 1666.

Thanks, John.

You don't have to get a 1086 for a 1666. Salvation can make it out of any mid to high gain module.

Go to yutube and hear pet's recto mod...man, it sounds great to MY ears...see if thats the sound you were hearing in your local music store.
PS: thanks for going local.

Latest posts