Need more dynamic response in a mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got the RR 59 Custom and it has some of the great Marshall sounds I like but the guitar volume knob rolling off to lower the gain doesn't work like it does on other amps. The Camerock is the same.

Is this a standard phenomena with mods? Are they more like a snapshot of an amps sound? Like a preset on a modeler?

I can dial in a great sound, be it low/mid gain or high gain and it is everything I'd want but if I want to take it down from where ever it is in terms of gain I have to do it at the Mod/preamp.

Power amp is a Randall RT2/50 and also into the effects return of a Ceriatone OTS20 just to see how that worked. Same results through both.

Preamp is Egnater M4. I'm generally keeping the volume on the mods up high, volume on M4 kind of low. I have tried changing that ratio but it doesn't help.
Running the gain on the Mod up extra high and compensating further down the line doesn't help either.

Backing the guitar volume down has very little room to roll before the sound just drops to weak fizz relative to the usual gradual lowering of gain but overall volume staying up in the stereotypical "cleans up" fashion.

Try the volume pot mod...........on the guitar.
http://angela.com/lindyfralinblenderpotandvolumekitforstratocaster.aspx
It'll work on humbuckers also.
The blend mod is basically for strats but can be used for 4 wire humbuckers.
The volume pot mod basically restores the highs that get cut when you turn the guitar volume pot down. Inexpensive and easy to reverse if you don't like it. Also works great with a boost pedal.

All of my modules are as responsive to volume roll-off on my guitars as any other amp I've owned or played through... And, neither of my guitars have even remotely progressive pots, almost all or nothing, lol. But, even so, I can pretty much clean up any of my modules by rolling off. So I dont think it's endemic of MTS mods to behave as such - maybe it's just those two?

All my mods are responsive to volume roll off as well but I do find the louder I play the more responsive it is.

I screwed up!

I just need to post this apology right away to stop any internet meme of' MTS sucks' from feeding off of my comments. I'll update the details of my failure once I find all the gremlins in my signal chain.

What I do know now is by taking a different guitar and cord...straight into the RR 59 I now have much more of the kind of volume roll off behavior I was hoping for.

The Mod was the only thing I had changed in my chain and it had been fine just before sliding the Mod in the slot so I assumed it was the cause of the problem...but it was just a coincidence...my jacking around probably exposed a weak cord or connection...

So it looks like I was premature in my whining.

Edit: nuts! I wrote this before I saw your last response...

I also use the M4 with a VHT2502 and previously with the RT2/50. Some modules allow you to ride the guitar volume better than others but I really didn't think my 59RR Platinum or the dual 59RR I have now is bad at all. The best result with cleaning up the tone with rolling back the guitar volume was with the JF XTC; that one rolled back nicely with some sweet dynamic tones.

Is there any processors between the M4 and power amp? Anything could potentially create a lack of dynamic response in that scenario. I recommend a splitter and mini mixer to run effects in parallel to eliminate that possibility.

Regarding volumes, at one point I ran the M4 in the serial return of a MOD50 using a midi splitter to toggle between the M4 and the MOD50 preamp section. My observation was that for the same module to have the exact same volume in ether the MOD50 or M4 with the same module set at the same volume, the M4 volume needed to be about 100% (all the way up). So that tells me, unity gain on the M4 is all the way up turning it down is attenuating (note there might be some wiggle room here).

That said, there are two issues: 1. If you do not want to overdrive/clip any effects you are using in the MOD50 loop or after the M4, you NEED to back the module volume down until the distortion is gone. 2. Backing down the volume on a module does not sound as good or open or whatever as having it turned up between 12:00 and 2:00 (the sweet spot for the 59RR but all module are different).

In my current setup, with the dual 59RR, the module volume is at 12:00 and the M4 volume is about 11:30. This is a perfect level going into my effects with plenty of headroom and without any clipping. I find it very touch sensitive.

Latest posts