New 2007 dual Egnater head rig!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonesponge,

on a more serious matter, what switcher are you using to run your 2 preamps with your head? I have a similar set up with an RM100C and an RM4. I use a DMC GCX switcher and it works great but I get a nasty hum on the high gain channels. I'm pretty sure its a ground loop hum in my instrument cables. If I disconnect the input to either my preamp or combo from the switcher then the noise goes away. I've tried taking the switcher out of the rack and it still does it so I'm pretty sure its not a gound loop in my rack. My next attempt to fix it is probably going to be an Ebtech num eliminator but I wanted to ask you how you have yours set up.

Cody

tonesponge said:
I just can?t be flying a big monster rack out there from Cali with 2 pres and a VHT 2-50-2 (my god is it heavy).

I tried building one of these recently, too. 2 M4s and a Mesa Boogie 50:50 power amp in a 6u flight case. Way too heavy! So now I've gone to using 2 M4s and the loop switcher combined with the head to get the twenty channel amp described in another thread.

If weight is your main problem, then you might want to consider trying this solution, especially since you already have the switchblade. In addition, since you are worried about the amp getting damaged or lost, maybe this solution would help by providing a redundant backup system. For example, with 2 Mod 50s you'd have a backup power amp; so, if one of your Mod 50s were lost in transit, you'd still have the one mod 50 and the channel expander rack. Also, if the channel expander rack with the two M4s and the switchblade were damaged or lost in transit, you'd still have your two Mod 50s to use together, but you might want to have something like a Framptone Amp Switcher as a backup in case the switchblade were lost. However, you would still need backup modules in either case.

So may I ask where you got the palmer? I tried to get one last year with no luck. The U.S. distributors were in bankruptcy or something. Are they available now? Or have you had this one for a long time?

I don't have the Palmer yet. I have just ordered the 2 MOD 50's and some new modules: the TD, EG 3/4 and COD. I really don;t want to pl=ink down any more dough at the momoent, so I may just work with mic'ed cabs or send the wets into the two seperate MOD50 FX loops for stereo FX while only one of them is on for dry. I'll see if the synth and piezo are darkened too much by running them straight into the cabs, but I really hate to cloud up the dry signal. It sounds SOOO much better when the speaker is doing nothing but the dry tone and wets are handled by others. I think I can manage a strategy to make it all happen with two amps with two moduels in each. I may have to pop a module in and out in two situations. Not a big deal.

3milestone: I'll try to make it out there that night. I love live music but strangly enought, I almost never get out there and see any bands here or in Austin. I guess I dont like the smoke in some of those places. sunset station is nice because its not enclosed.

CD release will be available in February. I hate smoke too.

lucidness said:
tonesponge,

on a more serious matter, what switcher are you using to run your 2 preamps with your head?

I know this, only because I sold Jennifer the Axess GRX4 she's using. ;)

The EbTech unit is definitely worth checking out... it has saved me on more occasions than I care to admit, whether it be in guitar rigs, PA rigs, even in my home recording setup.

(The other device that's saved my a$$ on more than one occasion is the Behringer CT100 cable tester, but that's a story for another day)

--B

I'm gonna have to do something about the buzz. Its almost unusable. durring breaks between songs or parts that I lay out in I have to change channels. I hate it.

cody

on a more serious matter, what switcher are you using to run your 2 preamps with your head? I have a similar set up with an RM100C and an RM4. I use a DMC GCX switcher and it works great but I get a nasty hum on the high gain channels. I'm pretty sure its a ground loop hum in my instrument cables. If I disconnect the input to either my preamp or combo from the switcher then the noise goes away. I've tried taking the switcher out of the rack and it still does it so I'm pretty sure its not a gound loop in my rack. My next attempt to fix it is probably going to be an Ebtech num eliminator but I wanted to ask you how you have yours set up.

As Brent noted, I am using the GRX4, which is fine on its own for switching pedal loops in fron of the amp. But with preamps, the GRX4 alone will not be noiseless. It has to be used in combination with an Axess Electronics BS2 buffer/switcher. Please see my thread entitled Twenty Channel Egnater Head for the details. If you are going to be switching three preamps, then you have to have an extra isolation transformer installed in the split/out jack position, so make sure you specify that option when you order from Axess Electronics. Also, if you are using any effects/pedals, etc. that take 120v AC instead of a DC power cable, then you will need a third isolation transformer installed. I think Mario at Axess Electronics said it had to be installed in the out jack location. The GRX4s are frequently on backorder, but I think Mario said he was expecting some in late January. If they show up as in stock on the Axess Electronics website, then don't delay ordering one. But maybe you can just get by adding the BS2 to your switchblade or something. I'd write Mario and ask his advice.

I checked out that BS2, and from you described, that would probably help my problem. I'm using a Digital Music Corp switcher, not the switchblade by the way. The DMC switcher has a buffered splitter like the BS2 but apparently its not isolated. That's what I'm hoping the Ebtech hum elimiator can fix. thanks for the info!

Cody

tonesponge said:
I just can?t be flying a big monster rack out there from Cali with 2 pres and a VHT 2-50-2 (my god is it heavy).

I tried building one of these recently, too. 2 M4s and a Mesa Boogie 50:50 power amp in a 6u flight case. Way too heavy! So now I've gone to using 2 M4s and the loop switcher combined with the head to get the twenty channel amp described in another thread.

If weight is your main problem, then you might want to consider trying this solution, especially since you already have the switchblade. In addition, since you are worried about the amp getting damaged or lost, maybe this solution would help by providing a redundant backup system. For example, with 2 Mod 50s you'd have a backup power amp; so, if one of your Mod 50s were lost in transit, you'd still have the one mod 50 and the channel expander rack. Also, if the channel expander rack with the two M4s and the switchblade were damaged or lost in transit, you'd still have your two Mod 50s to use together, but you might want to have something like a Framptone Amp Switcher as a backup in case the switchblade were lost. However, you would still need backup modules in either case.

Another change I?m doing to my live W/D/D/W rig is to ditch the mic?ed cabs and just go with the Palmer stereo cabinet emulator. It is very convincing to say the least.

So may I ask where you got the palmer? I tried to get one last year with no luck. The U.S. distributors were in bankruptcy or something. Are they available now? Or have you had this one for a long time?

Go to www.palmergear.com

Latest posts