New MTS owner, question about my modules...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhequiem

Reaction score
I just got my RM4 (that I bought from Phloyd - thanks!) and an unmodded SL+ with it. I have went on a bit of a buying spree with modules, and just got 2 new modules yesterday - a Gigmods 1087 and Gigmods Modern, which I purchased from c2ply (thanks dude!). After plugging them all in and giving them a go for about 30 minutes, I noticed that the tones I was getting from each of them were *very* similar. I am wondering if, in my new owner's purchasing glee, if I have made some poor choices with the mods I have chosen to buy, and ended up buying 3 very similar mods, or if maybe I have something going on with my setup that is not bringing out the true sounds of these modules.

My setup looks something like this right now:

Ibanez JEM555Blk -> RM4 with Gigmods Modern, 1087, and stock SL+ -> BBE 482i -> Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp -> Soldano 4x12 cab with Eminence Legends.

I still have 3 (!) more modules on the way - a Super V (stock), a JF Recto and a Friedman HBE, but I figured I would seek your advice on my module selection thusfar. I was hoping to put together a group of modules that would help me to get a really good hair metal sound, but also be able to get a more classic rock sound all the way to modern rock sounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you all might have!

When you get into high gain territory...I honestly find a lot of the Modules sound similar....

I'm not sure of the theory of it but it sounds to me like there's two different sound breeds (say Mesa'ish and Marshall'ish) and then minor variations (small component value changes) around these two themes.

EDIT: I'm excluding clean/pseudo clean modules and variations around Fender circuits of course....we're talking high gain here :)

I've been able to dial a Friedman ERect(al), a Grail, an SLO type module, an Egnater EG5 and a slightly modded Mr Scary, a Deadplate to sound extremely similar.....each had varying amounts of low end according to their inputs but the tone was very close IMO....of course we each strive to dial in 'our tone' so that plays a part too.

The Friedman HBE will kill for hair metal..and all the way up to decent classic thrash....the Gigmods 1087 should be able to do classic rockish in the lower gain voicing too....but I found it stiff.

They did a high gain amp shootout at one time of 30 different amps. There were 4 that stood out to me.

* 1976 Marshall JMP (Friedman modded)
* Elmwood Modena 90
* Framus Cobra
* Peavey 6505+/5150 II

The rest sounded the same. Again. The rest of them sounded the same. You could put any one of them up on stage and get the job done. I don't see any reason for people to spend $4000+ on a high gain tube amp. It's not going to sound any different than a $1500 high gain tube amp. It's more of a "name thing" -- the "I got a Diezel" thing. Kind of like me going into Neiman and buying a Chanel sweater just to say I have a Chanel -- it would cost me about $2000, and wouldn't look any different from something I could have gotten at Old Navy for $35. But I could say it's a Chanel.

Interesting. At least I'm not tone deaf hehe

I guess I was thinking there would be a larger difference in the sounds I would be able to dial in with the different modules, especially the modded ones. I know I need to play with them more, but in my mind the Modern is a "thicker" SL+, and the 1087 is a "slightly brighter" SL+. One other thing - the Gigmods Modern module I have is significantly quieter than my other 2 modules. When I change channels and hit the Modern, volume drops by maybe 30-40% (I have the volume matched to the other modules). Anyone else notice this with any of their modules?

some modules will have variances in volume...

That 1087 sounds waaay different than the SL+ Marshall- it should be a lot more wholesom and thick

Maybe I'll post some sound clips. I bought all the modules used, so maybe there is something wonky going on, either with my setup or the modules themselves. I think another thing I did which may be affecting the tone is setting all the knobs to the same settings and then comparing them. I would basically put everything at noon, play some power chords while switching channels, and then move one knob (like gain or mids) up 45 degrees and do the same thing over. To me, the modules all sounded *very* close, with the exception of the large volume drop on the Gigmods Modern module. I only got to play for about 30-45 minutes this way, so maybe some more testing is in order...

The volume drop on the Modern is normal...it's the way it's built.

I can sort of see a Modern sounding similar to the original SL+ (which had the more scooped modern DSL voicing) but definitely not with the JCM800 voicing.

The Modern has lower mids frequency wise than either though in my experience.

My SL+ is the newer one with the black face and chicken head knobs. To me, they sound similar, but the Modern is much thicker. The 1087 has pulls on the Gain and Master, and also switches for Mid Voicing and Bright, I believe. I am still playing around with them to see what those affect. Maybe I'll do a YouTube video to see if I can show you guys what I am experiencing. It very well could just be my settings or even my rig... I have never had a rack unit before, so this is all kind of new to me. I had an ART SGX 2000 Express in my rack up until last night, but I removed it in an attempt to get as close to the raw sounds on the RM4 and modules as possible. I am really looking forward to trying out the Friedman HBE and JF Recto in order to see the differences in the mods of the big modders. I am also hoping to get my hands on a Salvation module in the near future - I'm definitely in the market hehe

Hi rhequiem - I agree - You are not tone deaf :)
I am a recent RM4 owner and have moved away from a Mesa Studio preamp as my main preamp, however I kept my Mesa 2:90 power amp to use with the RM4. I currenty have the Blackface, Plexi, Mr Scary and Grail (all unmodded). Long story short, I find that the character of each module depends on the volume level of the module, some of the true tones do not start "kicking in" until the volume is past 1 or 2 o'clock on the module. I noticed it specifically on the Plexi and Grail modules. If you keep the volume low on the module, RM4 and your power amp it does not allow the tone to open up. You might keep tweaking until you find the "sweet spot". Also, IMHO you should also take the BBE out of the equation until you have dialed in your tone. I had the Modern and SL+ and did not keep them . The Modern sounded too dull and the SL+ was good but needed a boost to get into the hair metal tones. I found that the Mr Scary filled the need for the Marshall/Soldano tones. The Plexi types take care of the AC/DC - Classic rock stuff - Your HBE and Recto will totally kill !
Keep in mind also that adding effects into the loop will color your tone ie chorus - reverb delay etc....I can take my plexi module and make it sound like anything from Rush to VH

Well to the module obsession :D

alboz28 said:
Hi rhequiem - I agree - You are not tone deaf :)
I am a recent RM4 owner and have moved away from a Mesa Studio preamp as my main preamp, however I kept my Mesa 2:90 power amp to use with the RM4. I currenty have the Blackface, Plexi, Mr Scary and Grail (all unmodded). Long story short, I find that the character of each module depends on the volume level of the module, some of the true tones do not start "kicking in" until the volume is past 1 or 2 o'clock on the module. I noticed it specifically on the Plexi and Grail modules. If you keep the volume low on the module, RM4 and your power amp it does not allow the tone to open up. You might keep tweaking until you find the "sweet spot". Also, IMHO you should also take the BBE out of the equation until you have dialed in your tone. I had the Modern and SL+ and did not keep them . The Modern sounded too dull and the SL+ was good but needed a boost to get into the hair metal tones. I found that the Mr Scary filled the need for the Marshall/Soldano tones. The Plexi types take care of the AC/DC - Classic rock stuff - Your HBE and Recto will totally kill !
Keep in mind also that adding effects into the loop will color your tone ie chorus - reverb delay etc....I can take my plexi module and make it sound like anything from Rush to VH

Well to the module obsession :D

Well, that's a relief hehe

So, it sounds like I may have grabbed some modules that aren't going to fit what I am going after... Hmmm. I feel the same way about the SL+ - it's *close*, but not quite what I am looking for. Still, it will probably be a good rhythm tone. Both the Modern and 1087 are Gigmods, but I'm not sure how much that changes their base tone. I feel the same way about the Modern, though... I guess I need to chase down a Mr Scary!

You might want to wait for your HBE - I think it is what you are after

With the Super V - JF Recto - Friedman HBE you will have the best of vox chimey cleans, chainsaw mesa growls and hot rodded marshalls - The only thing missing is the modders boutique amp clone stuff (Mamba, Angel, Benzin, Mark Series Clone etc) Salvation, Gigmods and JF are all top notch

It never ends 8)

Sweet! thanks for the tips, Alboz. My HBE and recto actually came today, but I missed the delivery, so I am going to run to the post office after work to see if I can pick them up. I have been drooling over the Salvation clone mods, and have been thinking I will send Anthony a module to get worked over into possibly the Mandarine Graphic and/or MarkUS and/or Mash-All and/or Salvado De Luxe and/or Phish and/or.... hehe Seriously though, the Mandarine and MarkUS seem like they would be good first choices for me, so I will see about getting those first

If you're chasing Mark tones...someone has a GigMods Mark for sale...Altho' I think you saw it already..although perhaps you were chasing the cosmetics too.

My Gigmods Mk looks like this (not for sale):

GigmodsMark.jpg

JKD said:
If you're chasing Mark tones...someone has a GigMods Mark for sale...Altho' I think you saw it already..although perhaps you were chasing the cosmetics too.

My Gigmods Mk looks like this (not for sale):

It's not necessarily the cosmetics I am after, though I certainly appreciate a nicely designed faceplate. What stopped me from pulling the trigger on the Gigmods Mk that posted recently was that I had just dropped about $1300 on an RM4 and 6 modules that I didn't even have possession of at the time. AND, one of those modules was a JF Recto, so I didn't want to pull the trigger on another Mesa module until I had a chance to play with all the stuff I ordered first. I just got the Friedman HBE and JF Recto in today, and got to play with them a little. I *really* like the Friedman HBE, though it gets very feedbacky when I crank the level up. The JF Recto definitely has a different tone - very thick and chucnky. I took a couple quick pics with my phone of my RM4 rig as it is right now. All that I still have incoming is a stock Super V

IMG_0289.JPG

Latest posts