New Salvation Modules day: MarkUs, Mash-All+, Mamba

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Here they come!

I have received today a huge box containing the three modules I had sent Antonin. Seing how well protected the modules were, I understand better while he blasted me by email when he got them, telling me my packaging was poor! :oops:

On to a quick review of the modules. I have only toyed with them for a day and that?s far from enough to explore all the options. And I haven?t had the time also to check them with different tubes.

Mash-All: The reason I got this one was to use it as a complement to the "Judge". I wanted to use one module in a low gain setting (think early AC/DC) and the other one for the higher gain plexi stuff (think early dokken). The judge can do both well and after trying the JTM, Plexi, Brahma, it?s the only module that nailed the real vintage marshall vibe so far.

The Mash-all can do everything the "Judge" can and a lot more since the four modes cover much more ground, from plexi clean to JVM ultimate gain. It was possible to get both modules to sound fairly similar, which from my end, is a compliment as I really like the judge.

In the end, the judge sounds a little tighter and compressed in its higher gain settings, which I prefer. The Mash-all is a little more opened sounding in the high gain settings, which is good too, and it is strictly a matter of preference. I have therefore settled to use the Mash-All in the 2203 setting with the gain at noon. Incredible crunchy marshall sound.

There is a lot more to the Mash-All. I didn't explore the Jose and JVM modes since for that level of overdrive, the Mr Scary is really spot on to my ears.

MarkUs: It took me some time to adjust to this module. Initially I thought it sounded thin and raspy. I can't recall exactly how I toyed with the switches, and tone knobs and in which order but after a while, I ended up with the best scooped metal sound I ever got from my rack. The "Master of Puppets" sound, only with much more gain on tap, and a broader range of frequencies. Like an HD version of it. I have tried the KH3, the grail, the Ultra, the modern and some other modules I forget, all with an MXR EQ behind for some scooping and boosting, but I never got close to what the MarkUs gives me in terms of power, clarity and authority. The MarkUs therefore becomes my module of choice for metal, and the EQ pedal is on the way out. Switching from the mash-all to the markUs, I was reminded why the MTS concept is so addictive. It did really sound as I was switching from a JCM800 to a Mesa Boogie amp. Even though it took a good deal of buying, selling, trading to get there.

Mamba: The Mamba sounds great, but in terms of over the top metal sound, after some intensive A/B switching, I always got back to the markUs. I'm still sure I will find a use for the Mamba There is a plethora of options, and the great quality of this module is that in my ear, it doesn't have a sonic signature as strong as some other high-gainers, and is very balanced. The tone controls are very effective so it is probably possible to get many great sounds from it. Plus my version has a ?diff? switch that provide an alternate voicing that has more body. With my power amp it tended to make the sound a little muffled, probably because the Mesa 50:50 is a rather dark power amp to start with.

In conclusion, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Antonin for his great work. The dedication that has gone in the design of these modules is incredible, they sound awesome and all have enough options to zero on the exact sound one needs.

Nice batch of High Gainers you received. I am in the minority, but I'm not the BIGGEST fan of the Mamba. I won't say I dislike it, I'm just not the majority on the forum. A lot of people on the forum hold it up as "The One."

I have had more time to play with the modules.

I would say that the mamba seems to stand right between the KH3 and Grail. It sound fuller than the KH3, and the grail sound fuller than the mamba but with more gain.

I must say that the Mamba edition has the special edition "diff" switch which gives an extra voicing. I really like the "diff" voicing which is heavier in mids whereas the normal mode has razor sharp treble. A really great module.

Steven Latch said:

I would say that the mamba seems to stand right between the KH3 and Grail. It sound fuller than the KH3, and the grail sound fuller than the mamba but with more gain.

I must say that the Mamba edition has the special edition "diff" switch which gives an extra voicing. I really like the "diff" voicing which is heavier in mids whereas the normal mode has razor sharp treble. A really great module.

Wow...It's always cool when people post their takes on various mods...I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Grail is fuller than Mamba...They're in the same ballpark for sure...Interesting perspective...Keep us posted... :)

Mattfig said:
Steven Latch said:

Wow...It's always cool when people post their takes on various mods...I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Grail is fuller than Mamba...They're in the same ballpark for sure...Interesting perspective...Keep us posted... :)
Definitly, comparisons between mods are always the most informative! (to me)

True, comparisons are very helpful. However, the limit of review is that you need to take in account the whole chain. Guitar, pickups, power amp, cab.

The grail for example, as all the gain it needs with EMG's, but lacks a few notches with most passive pickups. And that's just taking in accout one single parameter: output of pickups

But to come back to the Salvation modules, I am amazed by the Mamba. Side by side with a KH3, they are quite similar. The Mamba can sound like the KH3, but with all the options it can round up many more sounds.

Steven Latch said:
True, comparisons are very helpful. However, the limit of review is that you need to take in account the whole chain. Guitar, pickups, power amp, cab.

The grail for example, as all the gain it needs with EMG's, but lacks a few notches with most passive pickups. And that's just taking in accout one single parameter: output of pickups
Very true, but if someone says the Grail has more gain than an XTC, and I own an XTC, than I have a point of measure and I know how much gain it has at least. ;)

But besides that I think if you read a lot of reviews and compile it all, you should get a good reference, because a lot of subjective opinions together should create an overal objective view. (if you follow me ;) )

That said:
How would you compare the Mash-all+ to the Mamba?
I'm mostly interested in the gain character, but since the Mamba clips are downtuned I can't go off those ;)

m0jo said:
Steven Latch said:

Very true, but if someone says the Grail has more gain than an XTC, and I own an XTC, than I have a point of measure and I know how much gain it has at least. ;)

But besides that I think if you read a lot of reviews and compile it all, you should get a good reference, because a lot of subjective opinions together should create an overal objective view. (if you follow me ;) )

That said:
How would you compare the Mash-all+ to the Mamba?
I'm mostly interested in the gain character, but since the Mamba clips are downtuned I can't go off those ;)

Comparison to other modules, reviews give a pretty good idea of the tone &/or character of the module that is relatively reliable. For instance if I just say the Judge doesn't have enough gain. That maybe true depending on the tone I'm trying to create. But in truth for what the module is trying to mimick it may have enough or more than enough. And it's true a medium output humbucker will yield different results than an active EMG 81. Not to mention tubes, effects, etc. However it really shouldn't matter much if you are using the same equipment and the only variable is the modules. Then saying the Judge has more gain the Plexi, or less gain than the SL+ gives a reference with which I can better evaluate. And as mojo said, if enough people weigh in, you get a general consensus of that modules tone/character.

Latest posts