Noob requesting advice - RM100.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm new to the site here, have been lurking for only a couple days though. I had never even heard of these MTS amps until about a week ago, and even then just sort of happed upon them while doing some research on the newer Egnater amps. In any case, I'm now interested to the point of anguish (obsessed is a better word), and the anguish will not recede until I get something, lol. But, before I do, I fugured I'd ask a couple questions:

I have a line on a few RM100's:

There is one with the 'tweed' upholstery for less than $500, in good shape, with the Blackface, Ultra XL and XTC modules.

Another is about $800, with the black grated fascia (sorry dont know the right term) with the Clean, Plexi and SL+ modules.

And, a Hammett signature for about $700 with the KH modules. All are in great shape.

1) I prefer the look of the black grating to the 'tweed', but not for +$300. Can I just get a grate from Randall, or somewhere else?

2) I think I'd be much happier with the Clean, Plexi and SL+ modules in the $800 head, versus the other two. But, ultimately will likely end up modding all of them. But, for the time being, I'd prefer those. Are the Blackface, Ultra XL and XTC modules 'good enough for now'? Can I get a decent range of sounds from these modules? I'd love to grab the $500 head out of principle, but dont want to be disappointed by the modules.

3) Opinions on the KH modules? I've taken a listen on YouTube, but thats only so useful. Can I get a decent array of tones out of that setup, as I dont have any will to sound like KH specifically. Only reasons I am considering the KH head are the good price, I like the overall looks, and I feel that it may retain better resale value (is this a valid assumption?). Is there any other differences, advantages, or disadvantages of the KH model?

Ultimately I'll likely end up with a JF Super Clean, JF RVerb and a JF/Salvation Soldano mods, as these seem to best suit my styles of music and my band.

What would you do and why? I'd like to pick something up soon.

Thanks.

- Bruce J.

Welcome to the board here. To answer your questions:

1: No, you won't be able to get a replacement face from Randall. They have discontinued the line and are dry on inventory at this point.

2: If you are planning on modding them anyway, focus on if the included modules will work as donors for the mods you desire. There is nothing wrong with any of the module mixes included in any of these packages and they aren't far from each other tonally.

3: The KH head is the best price/value ratio and the modules will give you useable tones while waiting to mod them. This package was the most expensive when new.

I pretty much agree with the last post I was going to add if you don't like the look of the head Mojotone offers an amp/cabinet recovering and it's usually like $150 (new tolex, piping, and grillcloth)

At some point I'm sending in my RM20 and RM100 combo to receive the makeover

I'm gonna do british style green tolex, cream piping, and a black and tan grill cloth.

Just figured I'd throw in some food for thought.

BTW I don't recall the MTS line ever being offered in tweed (so it's more than likely that it was an aftermarket finish, I could be wrong on that though) To my knowledge from carrying the line in the shop they were offered with palomino or black grill cloths in cream/beige or black tolex. The signature heads were variations. Then the RM100 head also came with the metal grate as you were talking about.

nym1985: I looked at the randall MTS website, and yeah this head is the 'black palomino' version. Sorry, didnt know the correct nomenclature.

Jaded Faith: How will I know which modules will work as donors? I did not realize there were compatibility issues..?

Are there any differences in the KH head besides the looks and the included modules? I thought I read somewhere they have a bit more bass response, or something along those lines. And, am I correct in my assumption that it may be easier to sell, and retain higher resale (in case I get another bout of GAS in the future)?

And, while I'm at it, do you have a link to any more audio/video samples of your RVerb mod? There is only the one on your soundcloud site so far as I've been able to find (curious as to clean tones, and how it will handle a tube screamer).

Thanks.

Also, I forgot to ask.

Are these good prices in-general? They seem to be, but y'all would know better than I.

Corium_AZ said:
Jaded Faith: How will I know which modules will work as donors? I did not realize there were compatibility issues..?

Are there any differences in the KH head besides the looks and the included modules? I thought I read somewhere they have a bit more bass response, or something along those lines. And, am I correct in my assumption that it may be easier to sell, and retain higher resale (in case I get another bout of GAS in the future)?

And, while I'm at it, do you have a link to any more audio/video samples of your RVerb mod? There is only the one on your soundcloud site so far as I've been able to find (curious as to clean tones, and how it will handle a tube screamer).

Thanks.

On the Jaded Faith Mods website below each module modification there is a list of acceptable (or non acceptable) donor for each modification.

KH, to the best of my knowledge, is simply a "facelift" upgrade. It may, or may not, hold a higher resale. I would lean towards saying minimal extra value.

I'm not aware of any other Rverb clips out there. Maybe somebody has one?

Corium_AZ said:
Also, I forgot to ask.

Are these good prices in-general? They seem to be, but y'all would know better than I.

Personally, I would go with the black palomino for $500. That's a good price loaded with three modules. If you're going to mod them anyway, that's the way to go. Plus, a simple base mod from Jaded Faith on that Blackface module and you have yourself a killer module on the cheap.

Drew covered the compatibility question. The prices are fair and nothing I'd scoff at. Resale is completely up to the market, which has it's own ebb and flow.

Do a search on Google for "Jaded Faith RVerb" and it will yield loads of hits. I produce the official demos myself and there are LOADS of customer clips all over the internet. Far more than I could ever keep track of! :lol:
I have heard positive feedback about folks using it for cleans, although that was never the intentions from a design perspective. All of my designs are very low noise and should be boost-friendly.

Valid point about the Palomino Drew. Don't overlook the Ala Carte mod process on my website for the best bang for the buck tonally. If you don't need all the cosmetics and bells and whistles it's tough to beat. Email with any questions.

Here's a nice one from Jace.

https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/jaded-faith-rverb-mid-gain

I got killer deals on my two combos

Rm100 all black with footswitch and three modules *clean, deluxe, sl+*for $400
Rm20 all black with footswitch and tweed module for $300

Originally stock modules sold for $200 each sig modules were about $250

The combos and heads varied but the rm100 new with 3 modules was about $1700

Used unmodded modules are about $100-$200 depending

Seems that the heads held more value than the combos

Ultimately in the used world a good price can only be determined by the person buying theproduct. For the versatility and quality they offer I think you have good prices.

I recently got the RM50 combo with two signature mods for $500. I thought it was a great deal as the two mods would have been minimum of $150 each on eBay. An RM100 with three mods for $500 sounds great. All of the mods listed were playable, but once you get a hold of one of the JF or other mods you will never regret moving in this direction.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll pull the trigger on something in the next day or two, just awaiting more info on another one I found even cheaper ($460, with the all black tolex face like the KH signature, but not a KH sig.).

I'll post what I end up with, and my thoughts about how it sounds!

Well, I ended up talking down the $800 black-grating RM100 to $600, and I took it. It has the Clean, Plexi and SL+ modules, which should provide a good tonal variety until I get around to getting some mods.

I also picked up a Rocktron Inetllifex Online with a Rocktron MIDI Mate foot controller for $150.

So, for $750, I should be set up pretty well! If I like what I hear, I'll sell my HK, and should get about $700. So, a $50 swap aint too bad!

Thanks for all the advice, and I'll post up my thoughts on the RM when it shows (shipped from TX).

BTW - Here is the link to the $499 RM100S2 that I ultimately passed up, in case someone wants it:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-RANDALL-RM100S2-W--FTSW-108697351-i2994994.gc

Good deal man I think you got a great set of stock modules to start with you can cover clean, slight breakup, crunch, and heavier stuff with those three and they will complement each other pretty well. IMO the blackface and plexi are probably the best non signature stock modules and just those two will cover an array of tones and feels.

$600 is a reasonable price essentially you paid $300 for 3 modules and $300 for the head.

I typically prefer good analog/digital pedals to the rack mounted stuff but I can understand the ease of use that a rack solution can offer.

Latest posts