NPGD (new parts-guitar day)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iekobrid

Reaction score
DSC09809_zpsdd8d18eb.jpg

? ash body from a 2008 Fender American Standard

? maple neck from a 2010 Fender Road Worn Player (MiM)

? controls, plate and greasebucket wiring from a 2006 Fender American Highway One

? new bridge, pickguard, neck plate, screws, etc.

? Seymour Duncan Five-Two bridge pickup

? Lindy Fralin P-92 neck pickup

The previous owner of the body had tried applying finish stripper to a small patch on the back, so I continued in that direction by deglossing the body and weathering the pickguard and (originally pretty high gloss chrome) hardware a bit to give the guitar a nicely broken in, satin-y look and feel without going totally relic-nuts on it. I haven't weathered the neck pickup yet because I haven't decided to keep it or swap it out for a Dimarzio EJ Custom I also picked up secondhand.

DSC09816_zps909666b5.jpg

DSC09822_zps98ce6431.jpg

DSC09823_zpsd877ebbe.jpg

DSC09849_zps3a0571ac.jpg

DSC09850_zps7a205873.jpg

Love me some parts Teles! That's sweet looking, how does the neck pickup balance with the bridge? I've had problems with that in other Teles with neck hums.

Not to derail your thread...but here's my latest acquisition. it's a Fender USA body with a Warmoth fat 59' neck and a vintage Guild HB-1 humbucker in the neck. Couldn't resist showing it off!

T2eC16hzQE9s3suFRUBRUE0n5tf60_57_zpsefd6501b.jpg

T2eC16FQE9s3HCoVCBRUEyf3Rng60_57_zps2aa429c0.jpg

JayDA said:
how does the neck pickup balance with the bridge?

Poorly, I'm afraid. Since those pictures were taken I lowered the neck pickup so far that its surface is almost under the pickguard and raised the bridge pickup so far it was almost touching the strings and they still wouldn't cooperate with each other. Lowering the neck didn't seem to change its relative loudness or boominess at all, and raising the bridge made it sound harsh. So I left the neck on the deck, lowered the bridge to where it sounded musical again.

I've already been sidetracked by another project, but when I get back to this one I'll try installing the Dimarzio EJ Custom neck pickup. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with the Fralin -- it sounds pretty good through an Egnater Tweaker with either the Tight switch or Bright switch engaged (just don't switch to the bridge !). Maybe I should just add a capacitor in series to the neck for a bit of high pass filtering. Hmm..

Oh, and yeah, that's a real snazzy Tele you've got there. I'd never really cared one way or other for the look of a rosewood neck + white body until I bought a 60s Classic Player in that combo and now I'll about about it. :lol:

Those are both sexy guitars. I have a parts tele myself lying around here. It's playable but still wants a neck pickup. You've inspired me to drag it out and finish it.

Latest posts