Pete Modded SL+ review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
There is a Pete module in the classified that just went up that looks identical to the SL+ I just received; makes sense to do identical modifications simoultaneously to optimize time ...this is a Fantastic module!

It has a 3 way bass response switch, JCM800 on a switch, and the usual Turley warmth and clarity mods (patent pending on that phrase? :wink: Why not, Pat Riley patented "3peat")

The SL+ gained up is the exact Marshall hi end roar I wanted. Before the mods, I think I needed a boost to get the drive I needed, but after Pete worked his voodoo magic, it doesn't need anything but a player with an attitude!

I then engaged the 800 switch and my jaw hit the floor. Midrange fullness surrounded my notes and gave a real authenticity to the amp its emulating. This 800, however, actually has enough gain on tap to play some angry hard rock/metal, unlike my experiences with Marshall 800. The Marshall has a big saturated roar at big volumes, but unless your ready to boost it, it just didn't give that chainsaw sizzle, more like an Aerosmith Guns & Roses Rock sound. This Pete/Randall SL+ gives the eq and gain options to go into previously uncharted territory- chainsaw angry east coast rock and metal. Yes!

This is coming from a player who has rehearsed/performed many times with a DSL401, TSL100, JCM800 (one from the early 80s, one from the mid 90s) This module not only gets you in the ballpark, I think it may be better! It's clearly superior to the DSL/TSL modern series, which is closer to the SL+ stock. The 800 is deeper in my memory banks, but I'm taking this amp over to my friend's to A/B in the next week and I'll have a better grasp on just close it is.

Regardless, the Pete modded SL+ is a module that can stand on its own as Great Tone :!:

The best part of this Randall series in my opinion, is the ability to give quality tone at low volumes. I started my jamming in the late afternoon, fully cranked and enjoying the sonic bliss of the powertube saturation. But this session extended well past midnight, at which point I gave my neighbors some mercy and lowered the volume down to bedroom levels. The sl+ still delivered similar quality, especially with Pete's bass response switches to flip...truly a great option when looking for the sound that is appropriate for the room and volume your in. Try this with your modern day JCM2000 and you'll get bee-buzz mosquito tone- yuck! Unlike many players, I actually like the modern JCMs, but they need to be cranked or it's just not good. ..and on stage, the soundguy will never let you crank it. Sad, because even with the 25watt power soak switch on the TSL100, you just can't get the tone without the volume, and you're not allowed to get the volume....the rm100 powering the Pete SL+ makes all of these headaches go away!

The artistry of the custom faceplate and knobs is very well done and puts the frosting on the cake...a conversation starter, no doubt!

In conclusion, if you have a SL+ that is stock you must explore a Pete modification. Pete is a great guy to work with, exuding patience with my manic pms :) and delivers excellence in his work.

Stay tuned for my next review, as yesterday I also received a Pete modded Treadplate that has now taken over as my #1 module!

I need a module that can nail Iron Maiden, that John Sykes tone on Thin Lizzy's "Thunder and Lightning" album, some Yngwie and other British and European metal bands. Lots of them play Marshalls, so can this SL+, modded or not do that?
Could it also get a plexi type tone by lowering the gain?
I'm mainly looking for a versatile Marshall type module and this seems like it can do it.

Ray's review sure makes it sound tasty.

**** Ray, your check is in the mail! :) Glad you like it bro, the best part of doing these mods is knowing people are going to make kickass music with them.

Pete

Well Pete, I cant thank you enough for that KICK @SS 1086 I bought from you!! I been playing for 25 years(mostly metal/hard rock) and this thing BRINGS IT TO THE TABLE!! I preffer it over the EG5 I used to have. Really controllable "clean" brutal distortion. Thanks again My Man!
Dan

MorgMetal666 said:
I need a module that can nail Iron Maiden, that John Sykes tone on Thin Lizzy's "Thunder and Lightning" album, some Yngwie and other British and European metal bands. Lots of them play Marshalls, so can this SL+, modded or not do that?
Could it also get a plexi type tone by lowering the gain?
I'm mainly looking for a versatile Marshall type module and this seems like it can do it.

Ray's review sure makes it sound tasty.

When I ordered the SL+ modification, I specifically mentioned Zakk Wylde type tone and the module delivers that...I imagine if I named the influences you're mentioning the modification may be different. My SL+ has so much gain and edge that I think it has more aggressiveness than the Red channel on my modded Tread! The sounds your looking for reminds me of a suped up Plexi- more cleanliness to the distortion perhaps. I think this SL+ can dial it in, but more on the savage side of the bands you named.

Truth be told, I haven't backed off the gain enough to explore those options, but my initial impression is if you're looking for a clean tone with a little bit of dirt, this particular SL+ is not the best choice. Hi gain Marshall roar that can go into BLS and metal tones- Bingo!

Mailman1971 said:
Well Pete, I cant thank you enough for that KICK @SS 1086 I bought from you!! I been playing for 25 years(mostly metal/hard rock) and this thing BRINGS IT TO THE TABLE!! I preffer it over the EG5 I used to have. Really controllable "clean" brutal distortion. Thanks again My Man!
Dan

I remember when that deal went down, I looked at the module many times before you pulled the trigger...how many hi gain modules do I need? Apparantly as many as they make!

crankyrayhanky said:
Mailman1971 said:
Dan

I remember when that deal went down, I looked at the module many times before you pulled the trigger...how many hi gain modules do I need? Apparantly as many as they make!

Well....after going thru ALL the hi gain modules......a Pete modded 1086 is all you will EVER need! just got in from playing with my drummer and he is still blown away QUOTE" That is the BEST you ever sounded!"
Thanks Pete........... :D

Since Pete does such a good job modding the modules why doesn't Randall make the modules that way? Seems like lots of peopl ehere like his modds.

Also......Randall MASS PRODUCES the moduels.......cant take the time to HAND MOD them and still charge a couple hundred bucks for that. Thats why Egnater Modules are 400 dollars. Hand made one by one. Get what you pay for. I love Petes work! Will gladly pay him to make it sound PERFECT with replacing parts and TWEAKING!!! :D

Yep fellers...all you read is true...Petes mod on the SL+ is so good.....I got another one sent to him for a duplicate!!!
Pete's the Man!
Butch

Latest posts