question about running 2 rm 100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
I have this idea I want to do and wanted to see what everyone thinks about it I want to buy another rm 100 and run 2 heads with a/b/y box but want to have both heads on or play thru both heads at all times and I figured I could use midi pedal that comes with rm100 and can change both head channels at same time1 thru 3 and want to use same modules In both heads and then run 1 effects processor thru both heads stereo use whatever tc Or quadverb? Is their a easier way to do this? But always wanted to try this!!!

Someone else that uses more effects can probably better answer that question for you. I like having one amp wet, and one dry...but that's probably just me.

Put an ABY box or whatever your splitter of choice is out front and rock on. You can change the channels on multiple RM100s with one footswitch, just daisy chain them together using the midi "thru" connection.

the crush 36 said:
I have this idea I want to do and wanted to see what everyone thinks about I want to buy another rm 100 and run 2 heads with a/b/y box but want to have both heads on or play thru both at all times and I figured I could use midi pedal that comes with rm100 and can change both head channels at same time and want to use same modules. In both heads and then run effects processor thru both heads stereo use whatever tc. Or quadverb? Is their a easier way to do this? But always wanted to try this!!!

Run the A/B/Y in Y mode into the front of both amps and run the Randall Midi pedal into one of the heads and the thru from that head into the second head and you are now running both heads at the same time. Channel switching will occur on both heads as you press the foot pedal (assuming that they are either on the same midi channel or in Omni mode).

I'm not quite sure what you want to happen with your effects and basically you can do one of two things here:

• Run the effects through each side - dual mono in effect
    Run the effects through either side - stereo, one side is right the other is left so delays etc. can be panned, ping ponged, bounced etc.
Another thought if the stereo thing appeals is that you might want to think about a wet/dry/wet rig - essentially a left/dry/right setup ? maybe not just yet but I?m throwing it out there.

Obviously there are all sorts of switching systems that let you do this sort of thing, depending on what you want to do ? be warned thought, you will end up with a tone of gear if you start down this path? :)

I've been doing this with two RM50 combos for a long time. I recently added two RM4 preamps which each feed one combo amp. The only difference with your idea is that I use different modules in each RM4 and one of my amps has 6L6s while the other has EL34s. I like the blend of two sounds rather than doubling up.

webrthomson said:
the crush 36 said:
I have this idea I want to do and wanted to see what everyone thinks about I want to buy another rm 100 and run 2 heads with a/b/y box but want to have both heads on or play thru both at all times and I figured I could use midi pedal that comes with rm100 and can change both head channels at same time and want to use same modules. In both heads and then run effects processor thru both heads stereo use whatever tc. Or quadverb? Is their a easier way to do this? But always wanted to try this!!!

Run the A/B/Y in Y mode into the front of both amps and run the Randall Midi pedal into one of the heads and the thru from that head into the second head and you are now running both heads at the same time. Channel switching will occur on both heads as you press the foot pedal (assuming that they are either on the same midi channel or in Omni mode).

I'm not quite sure what you want to happen with your effects and basically you can do one of two things here:

• Run the effects through each side - dual mono in effect
    Run the effects through either side - stereo, one side is right the other is left so delays etc. can be panned, ping ponged, bounced etc.
Another thought if the stereo thing appeals is that you might want to think about a wet/dry/wet rig - essentially a left/dry/right setup ? maybe not just yet but I?m throwing it out there.

Obviously there are all sorts of switching systems that let you do this sort of thing, depending on what you want to do ? be warned thought, you will end up with a tone of gear if you start down this path? :)

Wow! Thanks alot great info but I was thinking of running effects Left side then to right side like you are saying I don't use many effects would be mostly for clean channels reverb chours delay and for dist. Just reverb and sometines chours and little delay for leads but I always thought I would sound huge and I play in ozzy tribute band and only one guitar thought about putting cabinets 1 4x12 on Left and one on right! Thanks again

the crush 36 said:
Wow! Thanks alot great info but I was thinking of running effects Left side then to right side like you are saying I don't use many effects would be mostly for clean channels reverb chours delay and for dist. Just reverb and sometines chours and little delay for leads but I always thought I would sound huge and I play in ozzy tribute band and only one guitar thought about putting cabinets 1 4x12 on Left and one on right! Thanks again

Yeah running one left and one right will sound massive!

I've run a stereo effects rig in the past and to do what you want I did the following:

• Get an effect processor that has a stereo in/out - I use a Digitech GSP1101
    Run the effect loop out from the RM100 on the right into the right input on the FX and then right return on the FX to the right RM100 loop return
    Run the effect loop out from the RM100 on the left into the left input on the FX and then left return on the FX to the left RM100 loop return
    Test this all works with a panning delay and if it's working you should hear the delay pan from one RM100 to the other RM100

This sort of thing can be achieved using pedals but you would need to get a Bradshaw / Voodoo Labs / SwitchBlade type routing / switching system.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you want to place the effects in front of the RM100's (normally called 4CM) you need to do this before the point you split the signal to the RM100?s and would probably need something more advanced than a a/b/y box - again something to worry about once your effect loop stuff is working :)

webrthomson said:
the crush 36 said:

I've run a stereo effects rig in the past and to do what you want I did the following:

Run the effect loop out from the RM100 on the right into the right input on the FX and then right return on the FX to the right RM100 loop return
    Run the effect loop out from the RM100 on the left into the left input on the FX and then left return on the FX to the left RM100 loop return
    Test this all works with a panning delay and if it's working you should hear the delay pan from one RM100 to the other RM100

This sort of thing can be achieved using pedals but you would need to get a Bradshaw / Voodoo Labs / SwitchBlade type routing / switching system.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you want to place the effects in front of the RM100's (normally called 4CM) you need to do this before the point you split the signal to the RM100?s and would probably need something more advanced than a a/b/y box - again something to worry about once your effect loop stuff is working :)

Hey thanks again I run 4/c/m now with to 1000 but don't have any idea on how to run 4/c/m with 2 heads but ill give 1st. Idea a try first

webrthomson said:
the crush 36 said:

Hey thanks again I run 4/c/m now with rp 1000 but don't have any idea on how to run 4/c/m with 2 heads but ill give 1st. Idea a try first

the crush 36 said:
Hey thanks again I run 4/c/m now with rp 1000 but don't have any idea on how to run 4/c/m with 2 heads but ill give 1st. Idea a try first

4CM for a stereo rig works exactly like I've described above (the description above outlines only the effects that go in the amps effect loops in a 4CM), with you plugging into the effect unit in question and the output that you would normally run into a single amp input running instead into the signal splitting system (in this case the a/b/y pedal, set to y) - job done :)