Rack questions - running two RM4's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianguitarman

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm in the process of building my dream rig... My rack from top to bottom right now is just:

Power Conditioner
BBE 482i - sonic maximizer
RM4
RT 2/50

I currently use a pedal board w/ Wah and OD's running into preamp and then run back to my delay and reverb before going to my RT 2/50. I run the BBE in my effects loop on the RM4. I'm wanting to switch from my pedalboard to a TC Electronic G Major 2 and go midi. That way I can just use my pedalboard on my combo amps. I also want to add a 2nd RM4. What's going to be the best way to hook all of this up and preferably in stereo!!!

Wait for mattfig to reply. He'll find this thread and give you all you need to know. I wanted to do this for a while, but found my RM100 or RM4 was plenty for me in live situations. Now I have an extra RM4. Good luck, I'm sure mattfig will be posting here soon.

Hiya,

Drew shined the bat light and I just saw it... :D

Well, to start I should tell you that I'm pretty unfamiliar with G-Major...Having said that, linking your gear is pretty easy...I use a GCX/GCP combo which is fabulous...I'm sure your pedalboard (what kinda board?) and TC unit are awesome too...The benefit of the GCX/GCP is that you can put your gear into a programmable patch bay and switch pedals and other gear with your MIDI changes...Works really well and the buffered input assures no signal loss...

However, since you're only running a few outboard items, it shouldn't be a problem...FWIW, you can score a GCP/GCX used for about 500...

Linking the RM4s is as simple as connecting them via MIDI- also to RT2/50, setting your MIDI changes to your gear and pedal board, and a little tweaking...Remember that you'll have to set the DIP switches on the Randall gear so that they send and receive the correct MIDI information...You'll also need to setup the G-Major and board with two banks of tone and three devices...RM4A, RM4B, RT2/50 is how I distinguish each...I know this is a very general answer and I'm happy to help out more if you want to PM me...

Good luck...I had a lot of help getting started myself so I'm happy to pay it forward! If you've never done much MIDI, it can be frustrating...If you have, it should be pretty easy...Oh yeah, one catch is that you'll need to connect the first RM4 (RM4A) with a 7 pin MIDI cable...I bought a 7 pin to 5 pin cable to facilitate this...

Happy Tofurkey Day,
Mattfig

Yup, like I said. Mattfig is a great guy, always willing to help. I may still run multiple RM4s if I ever get my personal practice space/studio up and going. In the mean time for jamming, live, practice, etc. I'm finding that my RM100 is plenty. Swapping a mod isn't that big of a deal for me and live 3 mods is plenty.

Saying that, I can totally see why one would want to run multiple RM4s and I probably will in the future.

Cheers to all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Little tip:
If you already own a midi-footswitch, you can add a G-Labs 2x midi looper.
Just put RM4a in loop 1, RM4b in loop 2, program your switcher to choose either and get rockin!
It's around 80 bucks here, so it should save you some money it you only want 2 RM4's.
Of course the extra stuff you can do with the GCX are very tempting!;)

You would have to check to see wether your switcher can do this..

Good question. I run 2 RM4's in sorta stereo (it's actually more of a doubling effect) and the hookup is not hard. The bad thing for you might be running the delay and reverb after the pre amp. You'd need two of these or something with two separate signal paths within to run effects like that after the pre amp. Likewise with the G-major. I actually bought two used Rocktron Intellifexes and ran one with each amp and MIDIed them into the rig for the post effects and use my G-system for my pre effects. As for the MIDI stuff we can most definately walk you through that. m0jo is a great midi expert and i have a bit of experience there as well.

So my great list of questions.... Are you wanting to stick with 1 RT2/50? What kind of MIDI pedalboard do you intend to use? Where do you want to use the G-Major? Are you wanting to use all 4 pedals with the G-Major?

Peace, Joshua

hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! hopefully I can get some more gear and $ for Christmas and get rocking on this... I am wanting to run 1 RT 2/50... 2 is very heavy AND costly... I want to run the G-Major BETWEEN the RM4's and the RT 2/50 and I am looking at the Rocktron All Access if I can find a used one for a good price... if not I may end up going with the Ground Control... my goal is to have all 8 modules working so that I can switch between them, the effects, and the power amp channels at will... i'm slightly familiar with midi but I think the difficult part for me will be finding the proper signal flow / switchers that I need to keep it down to 1 G-major and 1 RT 2/50

i'm thinking if I run the two RM4's into a GCX or other similar switcher AND link them via midi then I can obtain my goal? yes? no? maybe? anyone done this?

YES! I have 3 RM4s, an RT2/50, Lexicon MX200, TS808 pedal, ISP GString Decimator pedal, a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal and a Rocktron Pro Q that I use with my GCX/GCP setup....I have it programmed to the point that a monkey could use it effectively...I have EVERYTHING fully controlled for each unit and module - meaning when I step on Channel 1 on my GCP it shows the module name (as does Pro Q) and adjusts all parameters on my MIDI gear and also gives me a simple way to link pedals to presets as well taking away the need to tap dance while playing....I never did MIDI anything before this and I'm totally behind the times, but still hooked...It's kinda awkward to program and there's always glitches that can come up but be handled with some finesse...The GCX/GCP is easy to use once you get over the initial learning curve which isn't much...Plus, there's a lot of experience on the boards here...Tons of great help! You can setup your GCP to have as many banks of presets that you like and never have to step on a pedal or adjust a parameter on your rackgear again...It's all on one little switch...Plus, you can tweak each module with different effects, etc. as many ways as you like...The possibilities are basically endless...

I had a lot of help getting started and I'm happy to pay it forward...Keep us posted, good luck, and don't be afraid to go BIG!!!

IMG_0650.jpg

WOW! awesome rig! hopefully mine will get there soon! I'm at work still... (grrr) but when I get home i'll try to take a couple pics of my current rig and post on here!

I have been running a Midi rig since the early 90's.

To Me its the only way to go, want clean chorus; hit that button, want dirty rhythm; hit that button, want juicy lead plus delay; hit that button, any tone/effect combination you want will be at a push of of button.

Just you do a little homework creating presets before the shows and you can concentrate on ROCKING and not what 2 or 3 stomp boxes you need to hit for certain sections of songs.

I love it and will NEVER go back to the old way.

See rig here.....

http://www.myspace.com/lrstrat/phot...328#mssrc=SitesPhotos_SP_AlbumCover_ViewAlbum

LRStrat said:
I have been running a Midi rig since the early 90's.

To Me its the only way to go, want clean chorus; hit that button, want dirty rhythm; hit that button, want juicy lead plus delay; hit that button, any tone/effect combination you want will be at a push of of button.

Just you do a little homework creating presets before the shows and you can concentrate on ROCKING and not what 2 or 3 stomp boxes you need to hit for certain sections of songs.

I love it and will NEVER go back to the old way.

See rig here.....

http://www.myspace.com/lrstrat/phot...328#mssrc=SitesPhotos_SP_AlbumCover_ViewAlbum
YES!
My exact thoughts!

I actually played a lot with customized switches and loopers and whatevertheshiznit to get the one-stomp-sound with analog pedals..
Drove me completely insane, now with the rack + midi pedal .. I can combine any tones I want :D

I like the G-system btw, wish I could afford it ;)
On the other hand, the Gordius LG2 rocks! (as far as midi-pedals can rock haha)

m0jo said:
I actually played a lot with customized switches and loopers and whatevertheshiznit to get the one-stomp-sound with analog pedals..
Drove me completely insane, now with the rack + midi pedal .. I can combine any tones I want :D

+1 on the Gordius LG2, Xavier is the man. I may have to come back to you midi gurus as I am finally getting my basement studio together and would appreciate any tips on setting up a very simple 1-RM4 / 1-RT2/50 rig. I'd basically like to be able to switch any preamp module to either or both of the power output sections at will.

Happy Holidays to all.

George Jetson said:
m0jo said:

+1 on the Gordius LG2, Xavier is the man. I may have to come back to you midi gurus as I am finally getting my basement studio together and would appreciate any tips on setting up a very simple 1-RM4 / 1-RT2/50 rig. I'd basically like to be able to switch any preamp module to either or both of the power output sections at will.

Happy Holidays to all.
That would be very simple ;)
Just a Boss FC-50 would do that.
8 patches, 2 for each module.

m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
Happy Holidays to all.
Thanks m0jo, I was going to use my UNO-tized FCB1010 since the LG2 is now dedicated to the Axe-FX. I just don't know how all of the dip switches and midi commands on the Randall stuff need to be set up.

George Jetson said:
m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
Happy Holidays to all.
Thanks m0jo, I was going to use my UNO-tized FCB1010 since the LG2 is now dedicated to the Axe-FX. I just don't know how all of the dip switches and midi commands on the Randall stuff need to be set up.
Ok, well basically you send a PC to the RM4 and RT2/50. This sets them to for instance PC0.
Then you choose the channel you want for that PC on the RM4, hold the channel switch to save, then repeat for the RT2/50.
Then choose PC1 with the FCB, redo those steps, but then choose the next channel on the RM or RT etc.

The RM4 is set to midi channel 1 by default.
The RT2/50 should be as well, but random ones seem to be at 16 (including mine, enormous headache if you don't realise that while programming a midi pedal/rig)

You can do two things:
- Make 8 patches, one for each combo of RM4 module and RT2/50 channel
- Make 4 patches, and a stompbox switch that chooses channel 1 or 2 on the RT2/50.

Option 1 means you can send the PC's to all midi channels (since they both use the 8 patches)
Option 2 requires seperate commands for the RM4 and RT2/50, which means they need to be on different channels (no problem if you have an RT2/50 that's set to 16)

It depends on wether you want everything on one bank on the FCB or want instant sound changes (the second option requires 2 stomps when you want to switch both units..)

m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
Happy Holidays to all.
Ok, well basically you send a PC to the RM4 and RT2/50. This sets them to for instance PC0.
Then you choose the channel you want for that PC on the RM4, hold the channel switch to save, then repeat for the RT2/50.
Then choose PC1 with the FCB, redo those steps, but then choose the next channel on the RM or RT etc.

The RT2/50 should be as well, but random ones seem to be at 16 (including mine, enormous headache if you don't realise that while programming a midi pedal/rig)

You can do two things:
- Make 4 patches, and a stompbox switch that chooses channel 1 or 2 on the RT2/50.

Option 1 means you can send the PC's to all midi channels (since they both use the 8 patches)
Option 2 requires seperate commands for the RM4 and RT2/50, which means they need to be on different channels (no problem if you have an RT2/50 that's set to 16)

It depends on wether you want everything on one bank on the FCB or want instant sound changes (the second option requires 2 stomps when you want to switch both units..)

Okay, thanks m0jo. I've printed these instructions and will give it a go over my two-days-off holiday.

George Jetson said:
m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
m0jo said:
George Jetson said:
Happy Holidays to all.

You can do two things:

Okay, thanks m0jo. I've printed these instructions and will give it a go over my two-days-off holiday.
Haha wow, I effectively wrote a manual!
Let's see if it's any good ;)

You can reach me here or via PM if you have questions!
It can all get confusing sometimes..