Randall Ultra Lead upgrades

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratotelepaul

Reaction score
I have a stock Randall Ultra Lead in my 3rd channel on my RM100 (currently running JJ6L6's but soon to be JJ KT77's). I want to either upgrade or purchase my first aftermarket mod. I like the way the Ultra Lead works for solo's but it's lacking a bit in clarity and is kind of muddy. Any suggetions on a good module for 80's hair metal that has a good midrange (I'm not a scooper)?
Also thinking about the Fog Lifter...is it an easy DIY upgrade?

stratotelepaul said:
I have a stock Randall Ultra Lead in my 3rd channel on my RM100 (currently running JJ6L6's but soon to be JJ KT77's). I want to either upgrade or purchase my first aftermarket mod. I like the way the Ultra Lead works for solo's but it's lacking a bit in clarity and is kind of muddy. Any suggetions on a good module for 80's hair metal that has a good midrange (I'm not a scooper)?
Also thinking about the Fog Lifter...is it an easy DIY upgrade?

First, the Foglifter is a very easy DIY upgrade.

There are many good mods out there for 80's hair metal with midrange. If you (in general) dig your Ultra Lead module, you can send it off to Rob @ Jaded Faith and have a Base Mod done and he will tailor it to your taste.

I like the jaded faith xtc for my 80's lead stuff.
I also use a jaded faith ultra lead for my 80:s rythm
I never really liked the ultra lead for "leads".. contrary to its name..
So I do my rhythm sections with the ultra lead and kick in the xtc for great lead tones..

Then again, I have a stock judge module that people either love or hate.. I personally want to send that to rob for some hot-rodding..
From the demos I've heard that should combine both worlds for me on the hair band stuff :) \m/

I like the jaded faith xtc for my 80's lead stuff.
I also use a jaded faith ultra lead for my 80:s rythm
I never really liked the ultra lead for "leads".. contrary to its name..
So I do my rhythm sections with the ultra lead and kick in the xtc for great lead tones..

Then again, I have a stock judge module that people either love or hate.. I personally want to send that to rob for some hot-rodding..
From the demos I've heard that should combine both worlds for me on the hair band stuff :) \m/

The fog lifter is really easy. Takes just few minutes. no soldering required. If you can use a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, you can do it.

Also makes a nice difference in the usability of the presence/density controls. Worth 50 bucks in my book. it solved a problem that I didn't even know I had....lol.

I went with a jaded faith XTC for my first modded module just because it can do so many tones. There are some great sounds in there including 80's metal.....plenty of gain and very clear. As others have said it's a great lead tone.

if you are nervous about plopping down the cash, just send in your current module and get rob to do a base mod. It's only 100 bucks and makes a huge difference. Tell him what you are looking for and he can "tune" it to some extent......tighter lows or more midrange or whatever. He did wonders with my stock clean module via a base mod with ac-30 ish tuning.

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards springing for a JF XTC. I've heard so many good things about that mod!
If that takes over my lead channel, I am SO tempted to try the HiWatt mod using the ultra lead as a donor...if that's possible. I think it's the H103 or something like that.

Def getting the fog lifter!

Latest posts