Revelations about my High-Gain mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katash

Reaction score
I currently have 3 modded high gainers:

Salvation CrankyAngel (Angel B /w tight switch)
Salvation Mamba SE
Jaded Faith XMG

I have the XMG for 3 days now, Angel for a few months and the Mamba something like a year (got it when the SE came out direct from Anthony).
Right at the moment I'm only satisfied with the Angel regarding the sounds I record and not really sure if I should keep the other two mods. Surprisingly I really like the XMG light crunch (I know - paradox as it is xtreme modern gain)...

I somehow find that only the angel gives me the edge I like. The 2 others have their EQs centered at frequencies which I can't really work with....

XMG:
First impression was "holy **** this thing smokes" but somehow my impression has changed (and may change again:
F**king huge low end (which I really like and which is great for crunch !! :lol: ) A little bit too much for metal but if I dial it out, there is some frequency spike not anymore being covered by bass that I can't reduce with other EQ bands that's annoying me.
And anyway I think the mid and treble pots aren't efficient enough (e.g. haven't enough treble to add or reduce....). This one is the most "marshall-y" mod of the 3.

Mamba: Seems like the same problem regarding EQ (center frequencies) and not enough edge in there.....

What would you propose I should do/try/sell/buy/mod?
And perhaps if the modders want to chime in (pm?), is it possible to change the EQs?

Thanks to all of you for your advice and thoughts.
And by the way: If I find the time in the next few days/next week I'll record clips for all of them...

Katash said:
Surprisingly I really like the XMG light crunch (I know - paradox as it is xtreme modern gain)...

I had the exact same thought, I really dig the lower gain rhythm sounds I can get out of mine. I have a Mamba as well, and I think they're two very different beasts. The XMG seems a bit darker, and has a TON more bass available, I really love it for scooped sounds. I do agree that the EQ is a little weird...I'm sure Rob could alter it to your taste, ask him.

The Mamba just has this lower mid BARK that seems like it will rip paint off the walls. Of course you can dial that out, but with the punch switch "up" it just kills. I can't get enough of this thing....I have to get an order out to Anthony as soon as I amass some more donors.

Latest posts