RM100 as a power amp, any issues with loop?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Supposing you want to run a preamp through the loop on the RM100 or Lynchbox to make use of it for it's power section. Any issues? Are you guys liking the result? Thinking of getting one of those new ADA MP-1 in pedal format and I thought of using my lynchbox because i might sell my JCM800 with the loop in it. (keep my homebrew 2204 which sounds killer). Generate some cashola for other gear..

Or the other side of the coin.. what if i use just the preamp into another head's power amp. I am assuming here that I can use the send effect straight out of the amp into another poweramp. I am assuming the amp still needs a load while doing this? (With the slave out it certainly would)

This way I can compare which is the weak link.. the power amp or the preamp modules just not up to snuff.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Supposing you want to run a preamp through the loop on the RM100 or Lynchbox to make use of it for it's power section. Any issues? Are you guys liking the result?

No issues if you like the sound of the power section. Go right into the effects return.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Or the other side of the coin.. what if i use just the preamp into another head's power amp. I am assuming here that I can use the send effect straight out of the amp into another poweramp. I am assuming the amp still needs a load while doing this? (With the slave out it certainly would)

Yes it will still need a load. If you like the volume on the module set past 12:00 it might be hot going into the return of another amp. I'd recommend something in between to attenuate the signal especially if you plan on having any post preamp effects either in series or parallel. For a while I used an RJM mini mixer for this and found I needed to cut the volume back on the mixer about 50% to tame the signal of the summed effects with the hot output of the modules.

Thanks. Going to try it out this weekend... I have never tried my modules through the power section of my 800 and was interested in seeing what the difference in punch and feel might be. I suspect as do many others that the week point is the power section of these amps. That then begs the question, is it just the choice of values in the output section or is it the iron?

Latest posts