RM100 + Line HD500 (Unity Gain & Volume)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Does anyone here use this same set up via 4 cable method?

The other guitarist in my band is using a 6505+ and at practice, his post volume barely goes over 10oclock, and I am going over noon on my master just to cut through his volume (and yes, I like my mids turned up). So I started thinking (and yes, chewed gum at the same time):

1. Is the Peavey just that much louder than my RM100?
2. Is my RM100 just not a very loud amp, but maybe can be modded to be louder?
or
3. Maybe I am under unity gain.

The HD500 does not have an input meter so I have no way of knowing whether or not I am peaking or way below threshold. For the sake of safety, I typically set the HD500's master volume ~1oclock and I leave the "FX loop block" Send and Return Levels at ZERO and the Mix at MAX. I also place my FX Loop block before the mixer, set mixer to ZERO and Centered. Not sure if it is safe to set the HD500's Master to Max.

For my fellow HD500 users:

1. How are you finding unity gain?
2. How are your Master and FX Loop Levels set?

Thanks Guys

/Rant

Sorry for double post.

While playing at a low volume pull the send cable out of the loop I think it's the send if nothing happened then pull the return. Anyway. Pul the send/return jack out while playing if volume goes up or down without the loop plugged in then you are not at unity gain and adjust the hd500 accourdingly

Aren't you drawing conclusions too much?

I don't think there's very much wrong in having 2 (very different) amps on stage at a different volumelevel on the knob to be equal in actual decibel output
And who says your RM100 puts out 100W? maybe 90, or the 6505 puts out 130W
Or the volumepot on the 6505 just might be a different value and curve than on the RM100
Bias setting? Tubebrand?

Being under unity gain won't dramatically worsen dynamics (unless you're WAY under),
and preferable over running the loop 'too hot'

First of all sorry for my english (i'm a brazilian guy),

I have used a 4CM with POD HD 500 and RM100. To get a unity gain i spent a lot of time and patience.. Here my settings:

Guitar in: PAD
FX LOOP LEVEL switch: LINE (there is 6 - 8 dB loss signal on fx loop)
FX LOOP send level: - (4 - 6) dB
FX LOOP return level: 0 dB
Mix: Centralized and 0 db gain
1/4" OUT switch: LINE

It works very well here.

Thiagus said:
First of all sorry for my english (i'm a brazilian guy),

I have used a 4CM with POD HD 500 and RM100. To get a unity gain i spent a lot of time and patience.. Here my settings:

Guitar in: PAD
FX LOOP LEVEL switch: LINE (there is 6 - 8 dB loss signal on fx loop)
FX LOOP send level: - (4 - 6) dB
FX LOOP return level: 0 dB
Mix: Centralized and 0 db gain
1/4" OUT switch: LINE

It works very well here.

After plugging and unplugging the cables going to the effects loop, I found that increasing my return level to +3 (slightly under threshold) gives me good results. My volume has certainly increased and dynamics has dramatically improved. I love being a noob; it makes little simple discoveries seem like milestones lol.

Latest posts