RM100 midi vs RM4 midi problem -- help!! **update**

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isolated1523

Reaction score
***edited for update***

So i'm out of ways to troubleshoot this. My RM4 acts like my MidiMoose midi pedal isnt even there.

When I plug the Randall RF4 footswitch straight to the RM4 with the 7-pin cable, the phantom power works fine, and all the modules change and can be programmed however I desire.

Also, when I then connect the Midi Thru from my RM4 to my GSP, the GSP will correctly change as assigned.

When I use the MidiMoose (which can only use a 5-pin cable), the RM4 will not respond at all. However, the GSP still receives the signal from the "midi through" of the RM4 and changes correctly. Further, this MidiMoose and GSP setup will work FINE on my RM100 head.

I've opened the RM4 and tried all pins "on" (CH1), all pins down (CH16), and various configurations of the phantom power switches. None of these settings affected the operation of the Randall footswitch, and also didnt help get the MidiMoose working.

Does the Randall footswitch transmit on "omni", or is there something wrong with the pins on my midi circuit board???

Pullin my hair out here. lol

My guess is that all the presets you're accessing in your Midi Moose GS1101 are other than 1 through 4.
The very first time I used a Midi Mate my RM4 wouldn't change channels, then I realized that the RM4 is set by default to change channels from 1 through 4 and any other preset change received through midi will default to channel 1 on the RM4, that's why it seems that it doesn't work.

Take a look at this thread, it should solve your problem.
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=145229&highlight=#145229

If it doesn't, perhaps you have another problem, although it sounds you'll be ok.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm pretty sure that its something else, for three reasons. One, presets 1-2-3 of the MidiMoose control the three preamp channels on my RM100 without issue, and I left them that way. Second, the RM4 doesn't default back to channel 1 when choosing other MidiMoose presets, it simply stays on whatever channel I select with the front button. Third, each time I tried another Midi Channel (1-16), I also attempted to program a preamp to a patch to check if it was working, without success.

The only other thing I can think to do now is pull all cables and power supplies, hook everything back up, and hope it starts talking from a fresh power-up lol.

-Adam

Strange indeed.

I was going to say that perhaps some cable has the pins soldered in another configuration (unlikely but possible) but since the 5pin MIDI ones work OK with the RM100 maybe that's not the case, or perhaps the 7pin one could have this issue?

Make sure all your MIDI cables work, you didn't mention if you have used the 5pin MIDI cables between the MidiMoose and the RM4.
Check them for continuity just in case.

Other than that, I have no clue. :?

So do you have the RM4 in the loop of the GSP1101? Will the GSP change the channels on the RM4?

ricky said:
So do you have the RM4 in the loop of the GSP1101? Will the GSP change the channels on the RM4?

No, I have the GSP in front of the RM4. The GSP will not change channels on my RM4, but will work just fine with my RM100.

I don't have my GSP with me but I believe I have it set up using the RM4 in it's loop with set up wizard 6, guitar preamp/power amp.
I think I set up a patch with whichever preamp I want in the RM4 and then hold the switching button on the RM4 for a couple of seconds which sets it up.
I am using the Control2 pedal so that when ever I switch a patch on the 1101 it switches preamps. I don't know about the midi pedal you are using but the Control2 is a great pedal for the 1101.

My H&K FSM432 works fine with GSP1101 as well as RM4. Are you sure your pedal is actually on channel one? (Sorry if I missed it from above, am on the phone)

From manual:
To change and save a different MIDI channel setting:
1. Depress the UP and DOWN footswitches simultaneously.The current MIDI channel number will flash (1c).
2. Use the UP or DOWN footswitch accordingly to get to the desired channel.
3. Depress the 1/6 footswitch to save the newly selected MIDI channel.When saved, the
numerical display will stop flashing. After a few seconds, the MIDI Moose will display the last program number you were in.

Adam I think the randall foot switch does transmit on omni (I could be wrong about that but I think that's right) I also think the gsp comes set to omni. My guess would be that you have the midimoose set on the wrong channel. Take your time and make sure 100% the channels are all set correctly. The rm4 and the rm100 (I think) have different midi boards, and you could have an incompatibility problem with the power pins. The rm4 will supply power on pins 7/3 and 6/1. The only pins actually being used for the program changes are 4/5, but the midimoose I suppose could be seeing power on one of those pins. It is possible it could be screwing it up somehow, but that's a long shot guess. ...and probably not that likely (but possible) The most likely cause is you just have something on the wrong channel. do you have the cable in the wrong holes on the rm4? maybe you have the in cable in the thru hole?

The MidiMoose is on channel one, and I was running the GSP on omni but switched it over to channel one tonight to verify that the MidiMoose is in fact on channel one. With both set to channel 1, the MidiMoose plugged into the RM4, and the "thru" plugged into the GSP, the MidiMoose changes the GSP as desired but the RM4 just sits there. lol

I'm not trying to power the MidiMoose with the RM4, so I THINK that the correct settings for the RM4 board would be all 4 pins to "on" (CH1), and both phantom power pins "off". I cant seem to find any specific guidance on the positioning of the phantom power pins, although they seem to power the Randall Footswitch no matter what position they're in -- which I found strange...

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming..

Well, everything worked on channel 10. Not sure why it should make a difference lol. Now to tear open the RT2/50 and figure out what channel IT is on...

Latest posts