RM1250 up and running with RT2/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disciple

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I was browsing online to see if there were any deals on a RM1250 and stumbled upon one at a music store in WI that was for $599.99 that said repair next to it. So I called them and turns out it had some damage in shipping (on rack ear and cage around tubes) and was sent to their amp repair tech and was all tested and working 100% now. I didn't mind the scuffs so I worked out a trade with my local store for my RM100 and a few pedals and effects I don't use anymore and they sent it my way. To my surprise when it came in they had two new modules in the RM1250 that the sales guy threw in, a Clean and Tweed to put in in one of the best deals ever on this forum in my opinion :)

Retail prices:
$1399 for RM1250
$199 for Clean
$199 for Tweed

Trade credit
$400 on RM100
$200 on misc unused pedals

So basically got the RM1250 for $400 trade credit after the modules they threw in at $100 value each (rough going rate used market).

I wanted to get one of these to try to see if there was anyway to run this with my RT2/50 to get more slots and take advantage of the 2 channels for tubes. I know there has been talk on here about this in the past, but no one on here has owned it to test it with a RT2/50 that I could see, until now. So I hooked it up today and ran the slave out into the RT2/50 and there it was, working 100% with my RT2/50 and being able to switch back and forth with the two channels of different tubes (EL34 and 5881)! The only drawback so far is you have to have the power tubes in the RM1250 to carry signal through the slave out for some reason, even though technically (if I understand it right) it's the signal coming from the preamp modules carrying over to the RT2/50 not the power tubes in the RM1250. I don't have a dummy load to test, so if anyone wants to send me some info on one of those setups, I'll gladly try it out :)

Running it into the RT2/50 sounds just like it did before to me using my two RM4's in conjunction with the RT2/50 through my GCX/GCP setup. I programmed it in a few minutes as well to use all 12 channels on the RM1250 to programmable buttons on my GCP and mixing the 12 with channel 1 and 2 of the RT2/50.

So to me the downside is basically running two power amps and one is being bypassed and you're stuck with two power tubes in the RM1250 running at all times out of the mix, BUT if you use 3 RM4 setups you're also using more tubes with the preamp tubes involved.

Basically you're out $35-50 for a matched pair of power tubes using the RM1250 and the RT2/50 compared to $12-15+ times 6 ($72-80) for the additional 2 RM'4's preamp tubes to match the 12 slots of the RM1250 (since one RM4 is factored in already with 3 preamp tubes like 3 preamp tubes in RM1250). So you're actually saving a little bit of money and using less tubes to achieve the 12 slots (2 power tubes compared to 6 preamp tubes). Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this for everyone here. Now if we can bypass the whole power amp section on the RM1250 completely and not even have to use the power tubes and still use it with the RT2/50 like I have done using the slave out - that'd be the ticket!

I don't recommend this obviously on a brand new RM1250, but if you can find a good deal on a used one and using it with your current RT2/50 then I'd recommend thinking about it - but if you go the RM4 + RT250 route you're looking at $1200 in used RM4's and $600-700 on a RT2/50. Used RM1250's are popping up around $800, I just got lucky and found one with some cosmetic damage and had 2 free mods thrown in for $600.

Now with my two RM4's I have 20 module slots - Rack of Insanity! (Note I have 7 mods in transit or getting worked on by Anthony and Scott to fill empty spaces)

6079112432_5b5a28d710_z.jpg

So obviously I don't need that many, none of use really do lol so I'm gonna be listing one or both of the RM4's up in the classifieds for anyone looking for one :)

Thanks guys, I'm digging it so far and it's surprisingly not too heavy about same as 2 RM4's.

Want to see if Bruce can chime in on the power tubes on the rm1250 needing to be in to get the sound to come through the slave out to rt2/50.

After I posted this last night I started to think, is the 6l6's in the rm1250 coming through the signal to the rt250? And if that's the case then we have the option of mixing 2 or 3 tube types?!? If the power tubes are coming through signal to rt250 then you are able to mix with channel 1 or 2 or both with the power tubes in the rm1250.

So basically instead of having flexibility of rt250 and rm4's with two tube types and combinations (ex: 6l6 and el34 by themselves or mixed), with rm1250 and rt250 possibly this? (ex: 6l6 in rm1250+el34 in channel 1 of rt250 or +6550 in channel 2, or 6l6+el34+6550). Not sure if this is correct or not, but thought I'd share my question with community to chime in.

I don't know what to think of the RM1250. :?
It's certainly overkill, but it looks so cool. Especially when it's loaded with such a nice grouping of modded modules. Nice rig, sir... :D

Ok, good and bad news after a bit of more testing and reconfiguring with my rack setup.

First the good, mixing the rm1250 (6l6) into my rt250 (e34l and 5881) sounds pretty awesome :) What's cool is it is mixing my power tubes from rm1250 and the rt250 power tubes BUT unlike rt250 by itself when you combine tubes you are stuck with only that without physically switching the switch on back to go back to only channel 1 or 2 tubes by themselves. With the rm1250 into the rt250 you get two options of mixed tubes when switching so with my setup 6l6+e34l and 6l6+5881.

Now downside - with my current gcx/gcp setup...it doesn't work with the gcx :(. There's no way to route it to get the signal to go send/return of loop on gcx properly for integration with my other rm4's. To have it work for my setup it needs a ground lift/normal switch like rm4's have but it does not so it has a loud hiss on higher gain mods like my mamba and chupacabra when going into the gcx, when run separate out of gcx it's fine but then I can't use with rm4's. They should have put the ground switch and a parallel loop section not series since series does nothing for send/return into gcx - instead you have to use input on front of rm1250 to in on loop of gcx and slave out on back of rm1250 to return on gcx loop but then you run into ground issue.

Either way I'm keeping the rm1250 since basically got it for $400 and shipping minus mods that came with it. So gonna use rm1250 patched into rt250 at home and have my rm4+rt250+gcx/gcp setup for gigs. Since to me majority of mods sound better when mixing tubes compared to only running one type so always mixing with rm1250 and rt250 at home works for me :). Plus saves me from running 9 preamp tubes with 3 RM4's to match 12 slots compared to 3 preamp tubes in rm1250 while jamming at home.

Just wanted to share this info with everyone since not much info has been posted on this setup here or anywhere for that matter.

I just picked up a used RM1250 as well...mostly because it was cheaper than buying a used RM4 and a used power amp. Just wondering how useful your density and presence controls are on yours. My density control seems very, very, very subtle (i.e. non functional), and my presence control does nothing unless it's full up, in which case it's just harsh sounding. I've used other Randall amps and the density and presence controls were very useful. Not so much on this RM1250. How's yours sound Disciple?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg -

My rm1250 doesn't have as much variation with presence and density like my rt250 has that's for sure - it's there but subtle you hear it more if you turn it up. Maybe it has something to do with half the power compared to rt250.

But I'm going to be running it through my rt250 here at home for tube mixing variations - so I'll be using the presence and density on the rt250.

First post here & this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Pretty sure Greg's old RM1250 should be showing up tomorrow (if it's even the same Greg.)

So, what is the deal with the power tubes even when the unit is slaved? I plan to power it off the same RG I've been powering everything with (I love 80s solid state, what can I say) & I'm hoping to avoid having to use the tubes at all.

Hope to replace my RM100 with this - sell the head to help fill her up!

Oh, that looks beautiful filled up like that! Just now seeing the updated pic - I'd trade my RM100M heads for a few good modules right now! Looking great!

Latest posts