Salvation Mods Sloogie test -> Bark at the Sloogie

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Okay, found a backing track here.
So I thought I'd re-record it with my new Salvation Mods module. ;)

Bark at the Sloogie

It was a pretty fast record, 3 tracks (left, right rythm, solo's)
Ibanez S -> RM4 -> Sloogie -> Impulses

So there's a lot of sloppy parts, especially the last lead part which I've never been able to play cleanly. ;)
Tell me what you think!! :D

dsc00224bcopy.jpg

Oh yes, it's a Mickey shirt!

dsc00198bcopy.jpg

Oh and reflective background is awesome! :D

tehuk said:
Sounds great man! Are the settings on the pic the ones you used?
Thanks! :D

The first pic shows the solo settings ;)
The other one was taken earlyer, has no relation to this clip.

Basically all tracks where in SLO setting, SLO Drive channel, Bite off.
Tight in middle position for the rythm, loose position for lead.
Gate off on all tracks.

The eq for the rythm was similar to that pic, but I tweaked it blindly 'till it sounded best so I can't really remember ;)

By the way, did you get around to ordering your Sloogie? :)

m0jo said:
The first pic shows the solo settings ;)
The other one was taken earlyer, has no relation to this clip.

Basically all tracks where in SLO setting, SLO Drive channel, Bite off.
Tight in middle position for the rythm, loose position for lead.
Gate off on all tracks.

The eq for the rythm was similar to that pic, but I tweaked it blindly 'till it sounded best so I can't really remember ;)

By the way, did you get around to ordering your Sloogie? :)

I got it last week but I kept the snakeskin faceplate http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=10182.
If I had to do an entire gig with one module this one would be it. It can do everything.

I know you're knocking yourself, but I thought the execution was quite good. Tone was spot on. Congrats - that's not a performance to be ashamed of in my opinion. Yeah, your outro solo wasn't spot on, but it holds up to much I've heard live from actual writers and performers...

JKD said:
Killer stuff.....nice hybrid SLO/Rectifier? module
Thanks! :D
Yeah the voicing switch allows you to choose SLO / Recto.
The name is a combo between SLO and Boogie, as is the design ;)

@Zander
Thanks man, it's just that normally I play it better but as soon as I press record it all goes to **** ;)
Also thanks on the tone, I didn't actually try to get close to the record, just trying to dail a good tone for the song. :)
It's all down to the great mod by Anthony, this thing just does it all! :D

I thought this recording was way cleaner than the one Ozzy did!!!
yeah, i hear you on the solo.. jake's phased-out solo is pretty cool and probabaly impossible to duplicate, I think even he probabaly played it a lil diff every time..and the phaser will always be in some place in its sweep you cant predict. But hey..the playing and sound is still very, very good.
..and you said you did this quick.

Its a great sounding module..but can it REALLY switch voicing from a Slodano (a hot rodded Marshal sound) to a recto??????? Thats a very tall order. And if so, the tone stacks are still in the right place? (making good usable changes?)
GtrGeorge

@Nightdare:
Looks awesome man, where did you find that snakeskin texture?
I thought about using that but I went for the white+diamondplate ;)
Combining the snakeskin and diamondplate would be even better though.

@slashnstrings:
Thanks man, I appreciate it :D

@GtrGeorge:
Thanks for the kind words, yeah Ozzy's recording is far from clean as well but there are no real mistakes in there. Everytime I start the main riff coming out of the lower notes I don't get there on time.. it's really annoying to me, but I guess it's not that obvious or disturbing to other people. ;)

I don't actually own a phaser myself, I'm saving up for a G-Major so I will have it, but as I said I didn't want to replicate the original. :)
Recording with sweeping effects is allways tricky, since as you said you never know where the sweep is when you punch record.
I've had some beautifull chorus parts just fall apart on recording because the chorus is suddenly in a different place.. ruining it. :?

On the recto sound:
I never actually heard a recto in real life myself :oops: so I can't give you a definitive awnser on that.
But to me Soldano isn't pure hotrodded marshall, it's more somewhere between that (modded marshall) and a modern sound to me.
The recto switch gives the module a very different character, and makes the circuit identical to the Deadplate mod, so you can check the clips for that and see how close it is to you ;)

m0jo said:
@Nightdare:
Looks awesome man, where did you find that snakeskin texture?
I thought about using that but I went for the white+diamondplate ;)
Combining the snakeskin and diamondplate would be even better though.

Took a while on google image search :wink:

Its a great sounding module..but can it REALLY switch voicing from a Slodano (a hot rodded Marshal sound) to a recto??????? Thats a very tall order. And if so, the tone stacks are still in the right place? (making good usable changes?)
GtrGeorge

I have to say that voicing switch really changes VOICING.
It switches between SLO voicing and RECTO voicing.
In fact SLO Overdrive preamp and Recto Red Channel preamp are very similar, with minor differences.
Of course, I am talking about PREAMP section, not about whole amp (FX loop placement, Power amp, NFB etc.)

Bingo.
A very big part of the Recto sound is the poweramp, which of course is absent here..

To me it's just another very good and usefull sound :)