Seeking Advice: Modular Amp and Module Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockmaster

Reaction score
I came across Randall's modular amps and one of these looks ideal for gigging and recording. Guys were talking about this forum on TGP, so I signed up to talk to the experts.

I'm thinking about taking the leap but have a bunch of questions:

1. Are these reliable and pro quality amps, or gimmicks/an amp manufacturer and guitar magazine's wet dream like Fender's Cyber Twins were? Do they break down a lot, have issues with intermittent noise or glitch out?

2. Do these sound digital?

3. How hard are the modules to install? How do you secure them in the amp?

4. How do they "play"? Playing through these, do they physically feel like real amps? (ie. If you blindfolded someone, would they be able to tell it was a modular amp?)

5. What is the industry standard 2 or 3 space modular combo? A lot of amps rely on power amps. Would a 50 watt do justice for a high gain module like a Benzin or Angel E?

6a. What is the best module (Salvation or Jaded Faith) for Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop tones?

6b.How about classic rock like Bob Seger, Foreigner and The Eagles (Glenn Frey and Joe Walsh)?

6c. What is the sleaziest, most obnoxious module on the market?

7. Have you ever regretted using a modular amp over a regular amp? (I'm currently amp less and deciding between getting a modular amp w/ modules, or a traditional "old fashioned" tube amp.)

8. Is there any module that can do "Divided by 13" tones?

In terms of budget, I have $1500 and am looking to buy used. What modular amp should I get and which modules? Going the combo route, something that will be ideal for recording and small unmiked bar gigs.

Shockmaster said:
I came across Randall's modular amps and one of these looks ideal for gigging and recording. Guys were talking about this forum on TGP, so I signed up to talk to the experts.

I'm thinking about taking the leap but have a bunch of questions:

1. Are these reliable and pro quality amps, or gimmicks/an amp manufacturer and guitar magazine's wet dream like Fender's Cyber Twins were? Do they break down a lot, have issues with intermittent noise or glitch out?
Welcome! You'll find much help here along with a swell group of fellas...
It's good to get a back up as they are cheap right now anyway but I've had few problems with mine and they've taken a beating here and there...

2. Do these sound digital?
Nothing digital about them. Pure tube tone.

3. How hard are the modules to install? How do you secure them in the amp?
Got 30 free seconds? You can swap a module swap a module from head to head fastening it securely to the chassis.

4. How do they "play"? Playing through these, do they physically feel like real amps? (ie. If you blindfolded someone, would they be able to tell it was a modular amp?)
Depending on the module and what you want, the answer in most cases is yes. Sometimes scary close.

5. What is the industry standard 2 or 3 space modular combo? A lot of amps rely on power amps. Would a 50 watt do justice for a high gain module like a Benzin or Angel E?
50 Watt will give you more than most would ever need...100 doesn't add volume as much as headroom before breakup...The difference between their volume output is very little...

6a. What is the best module (Salvation or Jaded Faith) for Ramones, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop tones?
Tough to say. You have to try them all though. My personal fave for that kinda tone is my Friedman RSC Plexi although Salvation is making me a custom blend of Brahma and JCM800 that may yet take its place...

6b.How about classic rock like Bob Seger, Foreigner and The Eagles (Glenn Frey and Joe Walsh)?
Tons of modules from the modders cover a HUGE variety of amps...Check out the following links...
salvationmods.com
jadedfaithmods.com

6c. What is the sleaziest, most obnoxious module on the market?
Salvation Salvado Deluxe(not really obnoxious per se, but can be if the player is)

7. Have you ever regretted using a modular amp over a regular amp? (I'm currently amp less and deciding between getting a modular amp w/ modules, or a traditional "old fashioned" tube amp.)
Sometimes. But not ever enough to go back to a regular amp at all.

8. Is there any module that can do "Divided by 13" tones?
Again, see the modders' sites...Check the gear they use and I'm sure there is a mod that mathces...Usually more than one..

In terms of budget, I have $1500 and am looking to buy used. What modular amp should I get and which modules? Going the combo route, something that will be ideal for recording and small unmiked bar gigs.

RM100 with a cab along with a clean, mid, and high gain module...Too many choices and opinions...I can't personally settle on three so I could never advise in this area. This gear is not second-best. It will deliver what you want. Just know what you want in advance or GAS will destroy you here... :)

You had asked about a Divided By 13 mod and I know Salvation is producing this mod. If you check the Salvation Mods FB page there is a picture of one that was just built.
The MTS amp system kicks *** and the tonal varieties are endless.

You guys rock! Thanks for the quick reply. Who sells the Friedman RSC Plexi module, or are you talking about an actual Friedman head?

Dave Friedman offered MTS modifications in the past. I don't think he does them anymore. What I do know is his mods are hard to come by.

The MTS is absolutely nothing like the Cyber Twin. I bought in to that joke when it came out. In fact it's still sitting in my basement collecting dust if anybody wants to buy it cheap.

As for modules, you'll have to try a few different ones to dial in the tone you're looking for. This forum is great for buying/trading so after your initial investment of $1500 or so, you shouldn't be in too bad of shape if you trade/sell a module each time you bring another in to the house.

Good luck and enjoy the best GAS you'll ever have!

These are so cheap compared to 5 years ago it's silly. The rm100's were $1000 new, now a used one is $500 or less. The modded modules are night and day better than almost all the stock ones, and they are pretty cheap considering you can get the tone of a $3000 amp for $400 or less used. Rob at Jaded Faith keeps cranking out more modules that seem to get better all the time. Salvation mods, although I don't own any are supposed to be very good as well. Search you tube and the forum here for sound samples and judge for yourself. I like Marshall tones and there are plenty of great ones to choose from. None are bad you just need to narrow down the amp you want.
As far as combo's go, the 20 watter is el84 based and the 50 can take any of the large power tubes and jj6v6 tubes. I have the combo and it is huge sounding because of the large size. Sometimes it has to much bass but a speaker change can solve that. The stock celestion t75 is not the best speaker on it's own, but you might like it who knows.

Latest posts