So I bought a Torpedo CAB

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
I am recording a CD of a metal band right now. We have spent a LOT of time researching to get that guitar tone that has been popping up more and more regularly on these kind of projects over the last few years.

The best example of what I am talking about is the Ola Englund, Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis, videos on You Tube. Their tracks have a focus and clarity that really makes the guitar work in a mix without sacrificing tone. We got close, but still didn't make that last leap until Torpedo CAB!

I have been researching one for a few months, with the help of Rob D and Kevin from Ownhammer - if you haven't heard his stuff you are missing out!!! I was planning to buy AFTER I finished this project, because I didn't want to complicate this session, but I got a **** 20% off coupon from GC, had money in Paypal and couldn't pass up the opportunity to save $110.00 on something I was planning on buying anyway. I LOVE a good deal :D

So yeah, I complictated things, but I managed to get that last few percent I was unable to achieve with my mics and 512c's alone. Just using the stock impulses I have found that last little bit of mojo I was looking for. My tracks have that exact quality that I hear in Ola and Keith's stuff that made me pound my fist on my console asking "Why can't I get THAT sound?!?"

The answer my friends, is Torpedo CAB!

According to Rob, Ownhammer's IR's make the stock impluses in the Torpedo CAB sound like Ampfarm :p I"m just waiting on Kevin's recommendations for my particular needs and then I am going to use his stuff with reckless abandon LOL!

For those interested, my signal chain is:

Schecter C-1 with Duncan SH-6's >
JF Snakebite in an RM100H with JJ E34L's>
Mesa Straight Cab with V30's>
using the Slave Out on the RM100H to feed Torpedo CAB>
API 512c in a API Lunchbox>
TRS into Digi002r>
in ProtoolsLE 7.3 Windows XP SP-3

I will post comparision tracks once I have chosen and tweaked my exact cab impulse as well as the mic track that sounded great until we heard the Torpedo CAB and Ownhammers impulses, once I figure out which one to get :p

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress, in the mean time... if your serious about getting great tone tracked, check out the Torpedo CAB and Ownhammer's impulse library

You'll thank me later :p

Keep the Faith!

H

serious +1 on Two-Notes Torpedo (I use the VST plugin version). always get great tones with it when running direct from my MTS stuff or "real" amps. Been using it for a year now with RedWirez IR's, but might have to check out Ownhammer's kit as well as some of the new cab models that Two-Notes just released, although always felt Two-Notes models were lacking. however the Power Amp sims are awesome.

Just a lil tip, you may want to get a few guitars and throw different pickups in them for studio use. For the sound your going for I highly recommend Lungren M or Bareknuckles. Its really helped me a lot having various guitars loaded with different pups when searching for the 'sound' I'm looking for with different mixes.

Then of course I have the 'private collection' I keep for myself... Haha

ricknasty1985 said:
Just a lil tip, you may want to get a few guitars and throw different pickups in them for studio use. For the sound your going for I highly recommend Lungren M or Bareknuckles. Its really helped me a lot having various guitars loaded with different pups when searching for the 'sound' I'm looking for with different mixes.

Then of course I have the 'private collection' I keep for myself... Haha

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the advice :)

I have been through the pickup gambit - EMG, Motor City Pickups, Bareknuckles, most of the Duncan line, etc... - the pickups that I have heard and liked, but have yet to try are the Dean Pat Baker ACT and the Railhammer's look interesting, but my SH-6 seems to be a cherry and sounds the best for me. My other guitar player has made himself crazy trying pickups and finally settled on a Pat Baker ACT - at the personal suggestion of John Connolly of Sevendust - which sounds awesome, but, in my opinion, only makes his Les Paul sound like my C-1

The combination of my guitar, pickups, amp, Snakebite, etc... are the tone I have been chasing my entire career. Now it's just about getting it right on a project :)

The key is OWNHAMMER impulse responses!!! They make the stock impulses in the Torpedo CAB sound like toys. HOLY SMOKES! So many good things have come to my life since I simply started listening to Rob! If he only played metal, he would be the perfect person :p LOL It's okay Rob, Metal wil still welcome you with open arms when you see the error in your ways and come home :p LOL

H

Latest posts