Stock Ultra XL Clips

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
These are recorded with a sh#@ digital camera microphone, but they are still a decent example of what a stock module can do for you. I personally love the Ultra XL right out of the box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dy7Xoyqz4 solo at :30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u50PJ5c4g9A

Again, that's a stock Ultra XL, no mods!

chuckmehh said:
These are recorded with a sh#@ digital camera microphone, but they are still a decent example of what a stock module can do for you. I personally love the Ultra XL right out of the box!

Sounds good through the crappy recording quality ;)
It sounds pretty fluid and full but still cutting!

Did you use any boost on there? (wild guess: MXR ZW-44?)

Anyway, I have a module coming in the future that might be interesting to you ^^
Does Salvation Mods ZL+ sound good to your ears? :)

m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

Anyway, I have a module coming in the future that might be interesting to you ^^

Thanks for the appreciate comment man! I agree, it is a very fluid and cutting module. I don't know why it doesn't get more love!

haha and yes I know I am heavily influenced by Zakk, but his tone is most definitely not my favorite tone. I play like him (unintentionally...when that's what you learned in the beginning, it becomes the basis of your playing style). But...there is NO boost in the first clip (the live one) because my volumes were cranked to a point where it added the dynamics that a boost does naturally. In the second clip, I was using a sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, which is, in my opinion, the most badass OD on the planet. It is amazing.

Any Salvation mod sounds awesome to be perfectly honest, I just cannot afford them man haha I'm a college student and having the RM100 is a feat in and of itself! I would love to try one though for sure. Is it an SL+ based around Zakk's tone? Hence the "Z"?

chuckmehh said:
m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

Thanks for the appreciate comment man! I agree, it is a very fluid and cutting module. I don't know why it doesn't get more love!

haha and yes I know I am heavily influenced by Zakk, but his tone is most definitely not my favorite tone. I play like him (unintentionally...when that's what you learned in the beginning, it becomes the basis of your playing style). But...there is NO boost in the first clip (the live one) because my volumes were cranked to a point where it added the dynamics that a boost does naturally. In the second clip, I was using a sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, which is, in my opinion, the most badass OD on the planet. It is amazing.

Any Salvation mod sounds awesome to be perfectly honest, I just cannot afford them man haha I'm a college student and having the RM100 is a feat in and of itself! I would love to try one though for sure. Is it an SL+ based around Zakk's tone? Hence the "Z"?
Awesome that it does that boostless!!
I've allways loved the UXL but somehow it's not that high up on the priority list.

Yeah basically the ZL+ will be a module made to approach his lead sound. (and feel) Hence the name: "Zakk Lead +"
Anthony wants to base it on the Salvado circuit, and current plans are that it has 2 voicing switches to go from "Ozz" to BLS tone. (+ other features)
I'd agree on his rythm sound, although it works very well for him, but I think the lead sound is absolutely awesome.

I'm only a year older and also a college student! ;)
But I've really had to work hard and be pretty lucky to be able to get this setup together :D

m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:
m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

I've allways loved the UXL but somehow it's not that high up on the priority list.

Yeah basically the ZL+ will be a module made to approach his lead sound. (and feel) Hence the name: "Zakk Lead +"
Anthony wants to base it on the Salvado circuit, and current plans are that it has 2 voicing switches to go from "Ozz" to BLS tone. (+ other features)
I'd agree on his rythm sound, although it works very well for him, but I think the lead sound is absolutely awesome.

But I've really had to work hard and be pretty lucky to be able to get this setup together :D

Good stuff man! I wouldn't mind having a rig like that either someday :) haha Zakk's lead tone is killer for sure, but I think it's less about the amp and more about his playing style. He sounds like that no matter what amp he plays through simply because of his aggressive playing style. I'm sure the module will be great, but as far as copying a specific tone, I feel like several modules can do "Zakk" tone already with some wah, chorus, and the right technique.

chuckmehh said:
m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:
m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

Good stuff man! I wouldn't mind having a rig like that either someday :) haha Zakk's lead tone is killer for sure, but I think it's less about the amp and more about his playing style. He sounds like that no matter what amp he plays through simply because of his aggressive playing style. I'm sure the module will be great, but as far as copying a specific tone, I feel like several modules can do "Zakk" tone already with some wah, chorus, and the right technique.
I know what you're saying, the tone is definitly in the fingers.
But I want a module that supports that type of playing.

What I have now is that the XTC module had the harmonic content that I need and the fluidity, but is too muddy/undefined, and the Sloogie (Salvado) has the definition, clarity and cut, but not enough harmonic content.

So it's more that it caters to the style than tries to exactly copy the tone, for that I'll need different powertubes, cabinets, speakers and a brain and finger transplant :lol:

PS. on the other hand, if I play Dr. Feelgood on the SLO mode of the sloogie ... it's spot f-ing on!!

Those quotes are getting ridiculous haha Opted to the standard reply.

Anyway, I definitely know what you mean. I'm not here to sway you, but I'm about to upload a video of me teaching a Zakk Wylde style lick with the stock ultra XL, just give it a listen and see if you think the Ultra XL can deliver what you want.

I'm sure Dr. Feelgood sounds amazing, too :twisted: When I learn how to save money, I can find out too haha

chuckmehh said:

Anyway, I definitely know what you mean. I'm not here to sway you, but I'm about to upload a video of me teaching a Zakk Wylde style lick with the stock ultra XL, just give it a listen and see if you think the Ultra XL can deliver what you want.

I'm sure Dr. Feelgood sounds amazing, too :twisted: When I learn how to save money, I can find out too haha
Haha I'll definitly check it out, but you won't sway me ;) I'm determined to go this route for several reasons:
- the Salvation Mods tonal quality (wait untill you've played one, it's the bee's knees and I definitly want that during my shining moment: the solo)
- the tweakability; one bright switch (on a high gain module :roll: ) does not cut it for me, I need more wiggle room
- bullseyes!!
zw1zakklead10bw5copy.jpg

This is an older version of the design ;)

Actually this design landed me the job at Salvation Mods :D
So I'm not gonna flake on it!

m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

Haha I'll definitly check it out, but you won't sway me ;) I'm determined to go this route for several reasons:
- the Salvation Mods tonal quality (wait untill you've played one, it's the bee's knees and I definitly want that during my shining moment: the solo)
- the tweakability; one bright switch (on a high gain module :roll: ) does not cut it for me, I need more wiggle room
- bullseyes!!
zw1zakklead10bw5copy.jpg

I literally jizzed at that faceplate design. Hell of a job man, that is sick. I want one now no matter what it sounds like haha As I said, when I can afford a Salvation mod, I will have one! I just posted that clip by the way! Enjoy.

chuckmehh said:
m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:

- bullseyes!!
zw1zakklead10bw5copy.jpg

I literally jizzed at that faceplate design. Hell of a job man, that is sick. I want one now no matter what it sounds like haha As I said, when I can afford a Salvation mod, I will have one! I just posted that clip by the way! Enjoy.
Haha thanks man, as said this is an older version, the switches have been moved around/changed.
But the idea stands :)

I really advise you to get the hammer down and save one up ;)
Yes it's a lot of money, expensive? No. By my standards this delivers for every $.

I'll check out that clip tomorrow, it's quiet time over here in Europe atm ;)

Gotcha man! Well that design looks killer anyway, so an improvement would just be ridiculous haha I'll have to start saving at your wishes haha

Let me know what you think when you get a chance!

chuckmehh said:
Gotcha man! Well that design looks killer anyway, so an improvement would just be ridiculous haha I'll have to start saving at your wishes haha

Let me know what you think when you get a chance!
Haha just wait till you see it in pictures ;)
I get all tingly every time a new design is out for real.
But maybe that's because they are my babies :lol: :D

Either way, of course it's your choice wether you need it or not.
But if you want the best, this is the way to go.
I am 400% sure that you will not be dissapointed.

Sure! I'll let you know ;)

The instruction vid was cool. The UXL sounds pretty good. I like the clarity it has in that vid.

Hamner1 said:
The instruction vid was cool. The UXL sounds pretty good. I like the clarity it has in that vid.

Thanks man! It is a very clear, articulate, high gain beast. I absolutely love it.