What can Brown do for you...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike P said:
Growing up, I was a fan of both although during that era, I always preferred EVH's tone.

Never really gave his tone much thought back in the day. Sounds pretty silly thinking back on it now. Recently I have been giving the older VH stuff, 1984 & before, more time and EVHs tone is pretty killer. what intrigues me about it is how much less bass there really is compared to what people associate with EVHs early tone.

Hamner1 said:
Mike P said:
Growing up, I was a fan of both although during that era, I always preferred EVH's tone.

Never really gave his tone much thought back in the day. Sounds pretty silly thinking back on it now. Recently I have been giving the older VH stuff, 1984 & before, more time and EVHs tone is pretty killer. what intrigues me about it is how much less bass there really is compared to what people associate with EVHs early tone.

IMO, Eddie's best tone by far was on the Fair Warning record.

Slash was mainly plaing JCM800's live during AFD but during the recorded it was a modded 1959 (extra half tube or full tube depending who'se layout you go by) by either Frank LEvi or Tim Caswell. Essentially a raw gainy plexi - cascaded preamp but plexi power section. The tone is nasally and raw but has a bit of compression on the lower notes. That's what I am going for.

Alternatively, I also thought about Pete at Gigmods and letting him do the Brown mod to my SL+. That might cover a lot of spectrum too. Both are great tones.

Latest posts