What "clean" module to get?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgblue

Reaction score
New member, 30+yrs playing, too many amps and guitars during that time (nice to see we all have GAS)
I have been reading extensively for a couple of weeks before joining.

I am kind of hot for a Dual/Triple Rectifier (after chasing the tone for 15 years), but also love the Randall 'over the top' high gain sound.
So I am looking again at the MTS line, thinking RM100H of 100C (not sure because the combo is so **** heavy and I had a major leg injury this May.
The biggest holdback, as you all have mentioned, is the realization that I will probably not get the money back on the MTS where I would on the Mesa stuff (but I also am not keen on 'having to' have the mesa hooked to the attenuator all the time either to get a good tone at low volumes)

Any assistance will be appreciated. I know it is a highly subjective question, but I am also under a tight budget of about $700-$800 for the whole thing. I have missed them for much less on ebay, but that is hit or miss. I have been getting snaked on ebay by like $10 each time (while in meetings) on some 100H's with the treadplate or Rect mod & the UltraXL with a 'clean module. (I have realized I DO NOT really love the std Marshall high gain sound, having bought and almost immediately sold several)

My though process is to get a Treadplate & UltraXL (or will the Ultra suffice) and a module that can do a "warm clean" sound and maybe also do a light 'blues crunch' or better. I am running superstrat style guitars with EMG's and high output Dimarzio?s, so the push is there for breakup.

What module can do a warm clean and have some breakup?
I have seen the deluxe and blackface kicked around a lot with (obviously) no clear decision.
Is the Clean module "ONLY clean"?
I'd love it if an XTC could do this, because that's the 3rd choice on the gain modules, but a distant 3rd.

Thanks for your input

In the realm of stock modules, the JTM does a pretty nice clean, and its mild breakup tones are where it really shines. Turning the gain up past, say, 10:00 on that mod makes it kind of thin out and sound cheap. You will probably have a hard time getting it to be really truly clean if you're hitting it with very high-output pickups. The Blackface stays clean longer, but doesn't sound as good broken up to my ears (it sounds a lot like a silverface Twin does when it breaks up).

In modded module land, the Matchless side of Jaded Faith's Voxless really excels at both the tones you're after, as well as a thicker crunch. The Vox side is great too, but the Voxy character (which involves a significant mid scoop) is perhaps too strong to cover all your bases. Fortunately, correcting that is as easy as flipping a switch.

The Clean module is only for cleans. Really hard to breakup. The Tweed, Deluxe, Blackface and from what I know the JTM all have good cleans. The Blackface has some grit and the Deluxe breaks up earlier with same tones.
If you are asking for more of a Marshally warm clean then a Randall or Egnater Plexi are what to look for. The Egnater has much better tone and breakup overall. I have a modded plexi that I use as my main clean. So warm and lively.
The XTC is one killer module but it may not be warm enough for you. Still has plenty of high end bite with the volume rolled off. It does make for a cool cleanish tone.

thanks for the replies

still not sure which way to go yet and it is depending on the sale of my combo amp

I love the idea of the RM100C, but I could not carry my Carvin anymore, which weighed less. (Tore my quad muscles off the knee)

So I may need to go for a 50C/H or 100 head and, if I really like the modules and wind up with a head, I can add an RM20C pretty cheap or just keep the VOX VT40+ (which is really good for a modeling amp and 25lbs)

I do like the RM22H, but the prices on those are more than the 50's and 100's (is the boost function worth it?)

I wish I could afford some custom modules (you guys really rock), but will have to find some cheap stockers at first. All you guys with stockers need to get them up on youtube or soundclick ( there are some terrible sounding clips on youtube, people love to stand between the amp and the mic, or put the mic so far off center you cannot hear the real sound - (5-10 degrees off center max))

Still looking at the treadplate, but the case has been made for the 1086 as a better recto sounding module - opinions on that?

Thanks again
the newbie

ctgblue said:
thanks for the replies

still not sure which way to go yet and it is depending on the sale of my combo amp

I love the idea of the RM100C, but I could not carry my Carvin anymore, which weighed less. (Tore my quad muscles off the knee)

So I may need to go for a 50C/H or 100 head and, if I really like the modules and wind up with a head, I can add an RM20C pretty cheap or just keep the VOX VT40+ (which is really good for a modeling amp and 25lbs)

I do like the RM22H, but the prices on those are more than the 50's and 100's (is the boost function worth it?)

I wish I could afford some custom modules (you guys really rock), but will have to find some cheap stockers at first. All you guys with stockers need to get them up on youtube or soundclick ( there are some terrible sounding clips on youtube, people love to stand between the amp and the mic, or put the mic so far off center you cannot hear the real sound - (5-10 degrees off center max))

Still looking at the treadplate, but the case has been made for the 1086 as a better recto sounding module - opinions on that?

Thanks again
the newbie

A stock Treadplate is terrible IMO...I would stay away from that; muddy, flubby and just plain sucks. I had a 1086 and while it was "ok" I soon traded it and it sounds nothing like a Mesa. Did a better Marshall tone but lacked balls when cranked-By far the best sounding stock module for Mesa tones is the Grail- I have one and have used it head up against a Triple Rectifier during shows covering lots of Metallica songs...It can get you about 90% of the way there (slightly less low end and less gain on tap). In my RM100 with a quad of KT88's, even the owner of the Triple Recto prefers the tone of my Grail. Not kidding....Honestly, All of the stock Lynch modules are the best of the stockers, at least to my ears but Im a metal player so opinions may vary on that - The Judge is GREAT- Scary, Grail are very good, Brahma is also good...

ctgblue said:
I will probably not get the money back on the MTS where I would on the Mesa stuff
Do you mean resale value? Because if you buy used MTS amps and stock or modded modules at current (and reasonable) used prices, then I don't think that that's true; on the contrary you should be able recoup most if not all of your investment. If on the other hand you're buying new, or sending your modules off to be modded directly, well then yes, what you say is probably true . . .

rblyn said:
A stock Treadplate is terrible IMO...I would stay away from that; muddy, flubby and just plain sucks. I had a 1086 and while it was "ok" I soon traded it and it sounds nothing like a Mesa. Did a better Marshall tone but lacked balls when cranked-By far the best sounding stock module for Mesa tones is the Grail- I have one and have used it head up against a Triple Rectifier during shows covering lots of Metallica songs...It can get you about 90% of the way there (slightly less low end and less gain on tap). In my RM100 with a quad of KT88's, even the owner of the Triple Recto prefers the tone of my Grail. Not kidding....Honestly, All of the stock Lynch modules are the best of the stockers, at least to my ears but Im a metal player so opinions may vary on that -

Thanks, I am looking for 'nu metal' tones primarily so the grail is now an option, I am not a big lover of the marshall high gain tone, so those are not on my 'short list' but are a nice addition if they come with a unit.

It kills me because I missed a 100head with 4 modules - tread or recto, ultraxl, sl+, and plexi for under $600 TWICE (I KNOW a great deal), now I don't even have that much (why does insurance call it "out of pocket MAX, when it is usually half of what you wind up paying)
I may have to start with 2 modules that are nice and work up from there if I can find anything else to sell (anyone need a scuffed but solid aluminum wheel for a PT cruiser?)

If I could find a cheap used treadplate or recto later on, is it a good one to have modded and who would be the one to make it really nasty without financial ruin?

What are your go to modules for the really heavy stuff?

I wish that randall had a decent list of "This module sounds like this" going back to some of the older ones, and sound clips for ALL of them.
Like plexi, and "this is low gain, this is mid, and this is full gain", true plexis were clean monsters, modded/rodded plexis would break up.

Latest posts