What is better than an Egnater?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Czajkowski

Reaction score
low-crawling under the wire at Fort Mastercard
Two Egnaters! How many have tried blending amps? Methinks it is tres dope. I have been experimenting with it for a while now courtesy of the Switchblade and various other Egnater heads and pres. Must spread the word.

What got me started on this was covering EJ ?Trademark? recently. I just decided to try to do it like EJ all the way. (Philosophically, I have no problem with this given that the rest of our music is pretty wack and different.) So, I was getting things set up to do the Fender clean, the Marshall medium gain for some little stabs, and then the fuzz leads. Then, it occurred to me that instead of doing a different patch for each, it would be fun to write a big setup with the Switchblade that morphs between them ? sort of like the one I mentioned in the other thread about my new rig. I even added the synth in the stabs and main melody sections just to be a dweeb, but it sounds great! Although, I love this setup for the EJ tune, it got me going on reconfiguring all my own sounds, and this concept works for almost all our tunes now.

For example, I am really digging the combination of the Egnater EG3 channel for rock rhythm tones on one head through one 2x12 cab, to which I add a slightly boosted SL through a second head and cab for leads. The rhythm usually just feeds a rock type plate verb on one channel of the Eclipse, and the lead channel feeds the reverb (-3dB less than the rhythm) and a dual delay on the other side. The EG3 gives me a very gooey body and the SL gives me the percussive impact and dynamics in a brighter timbre. Together it is huge. I am truly addicted to this now. I can?t stop. I?ll post some clips when I get a chance.

Anyone else doing anything like this?[/i]

John,
I've been "blending" amps for a few years and I know what you mean. When done right the sound is HUUUGE! Lately I have been running the Egnater along with an MTS in a similar fashion to yours albiet not as complex as I don't own a Switchblade yet and no synth. I've been doing it lately with custom a/b boxes and volume pedals similar to EJ but I love it nonetheless. Huge sound and texture and I really dig the EG3 mixed with a either the SL or SL2.
Any tone of yours I've heard is awesome and your command of your gear is equally as good. Look forward to hearing some clips of your new experiments....

It's very cool. I run 2 M4s with an EG3 left , and EG4 right , a little dual echo, a smidgen of reverb using the series loops, and it rocks. A little panning L/R, a little more delay , and it's Gilmour time....:)

And soon I'll be blending in my new Budda heads.. and maybe the Triaxis along with the GTR4000. This could get complicated...

H

I think you guys are sick,sick I tell you!!!!!There are places for you people,LOL I need clips of this as I to own two Egnaters,HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Not to hijack the thread, BUT-

I've been working on clips, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the " recorded" sound to replicate what I hear live. I'm trying to avoid EQ, but it may get to that. My next plan is to switch from E609's to SM75 mic's, maybe that's the problem.
Maybe it's the M Box 2, or Pro Tools, I don't know. As soon as I have it corrected I'll post a clip or 2 .

H

John, blended amps for years but have never done it with Egnater. It has crossed my mind though and I'll bet it's the best.

Howard, try the SM57. I know the 609 is a great mic but during our recording sessions for the upcoming 3 Mile Stone release, I used the Sure and it captured the Egnater sound very well. I'll give you more dtails on the signal path later but I beleive it went into a Focusright pre and then down to computer on Uendo. I don't thnk I spelled either of those correctly but i'm not all too into that stuff, we have a great engineer. You always have to adjust what you start with a little. But I just go to the monitors and try to get the sound I was hearing out of my amp or in my head by adjusting the tone controls on the amp, not the EQ in the mix.

Tommy,

It seems the E609 silvers make the modules sound darker and they're not bright to begin with. I have to max the treble and mid out on the EG3 and EG4 mods to sound even close to the ambient sound. Maybe the high frequency response of the SM 57's will be better, I'll give it a shot. I've tried every mic position possible.

Thanks,

Howard

muudrock said:
John,
I've been "blending" amps for a few years and I know what you mean. When done right the sound is HUUUGE! Lately I have been running the Egnater along with an MTS in a similar fashion to yours albiet not as complex as I don't own a Switchblade yet and no synth. I've been doing it lately with custom a/b boxes and volume pedals similar to EJ but I love it nonetheless. Huge sound and texture and I really dig the EG3 mixed with a either the SL or SL2.
Any tone of yours I've heard is awesome and your command of your gear is equally as good. Look forward to hearing some clips of your new experiments....

Thank you very much for the kind words good sir. I haven't heard any of your stuff, but I'd love to with your metal rig from hell. I bet it's brutal! Speaking of metal, we are actually going to try to cover The Rooster and i'm doing one of these blended-morphed cocktails that fades between the clean chorused part and the EG3 for Rhythm. It is too abrupt to swtich between them. Fading/morphing is really cool on this one!

YeaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! RIP, Lane :cry:

seeker said:
Not to hijack the thread, BUT-

I've been working on clips, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the " recorded" sound to replicate what I hear live. I'm trying to avoid EQ, but it may get to that. My next plan is to switch from E609's to SM75 mic's, maybe that's the problem.
Maybe it's the M Box 2, or Pro Tools, I don't know. As soon as I have it corrected I'll post a clip or 2 .

H

Hey Seeker,

Here is my mini dissertation on micing up amps I jotted down for a guy on TGP who was having a tough time getting the hang of it and had to record at low volumes. Maybe there is something useful on here for you. I don't know???

Proximity effect and your booty: remember that the closer you get a cardioid microphone to the sound source, the more bass is emphasized. The trick is to use this to your advantage. I would suggest putting the SM 57 about 1.5 inches off the grill pointing at the edge of the cone and paper at 0 degrees. If you are recording at really low volumes, there will probably be less bass/loudness effect, so you may find yourself creeping the mic closer and 1/8 inch at a time or so until the impact feels right and it doesn?t feel like you need to add bass in the EQ.

Angles and Dangles: A 57 is a squirrelly little tank and a speaker is complex sound generator. I have a feeling you may be pleasantly surprised that angling your single mic in towards the cone may capture more of those nice bell-like tones you guys like. The idea here is to creep it very slightly in towards the cone without loosing the papery mids and bass too much since you say you are at a lower volume.

Mic pre gain: Attempt to get the hottest signal you can before over driving your mic pre and then back it down a little for clarity. Running it too low will give you a thin sound with no balls.

Digital resolution bit by bit. Remember that bit stricture gives you more digital legos the closer your signal gets to zero db. Unlike analog, you need to try to get that thing as hot as possible to get the highest resolution. Low input levels aren?t really exploiting all the bits.

DAW processing. It is very likely that you may have to run a little EQ on the signal even though you spent hours on your hands and knees micing it up ?til the cows come home. I suggest trying to do as much work as possible with the micing technique before resorting to the actual equalizer. You are going to have to do it anyway, so try to keep it to a minimum by getting optimum mic placement.

John,

Thanks for the info, very useful. I have the luxury of being able to crank the volume to 40 or 50 db's , at least the room vibrates a little.LOL I'm micing ( 2 )2x 12's . It's actually quite a comedy show, I'm playing and moving the mic around with my pick hand while holding notes with the left to hear the effect of position.
It seems the best position I've found with the E609's is 6" from the center of the cone, rotated 30 degrees.
I'l give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Howard

Latest posts