Mixed Power Tubes Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Reaction score
The guy that fixed my last two amps keeps sniping at me about impedance mismatch when using 6550/6L6 in the RM100 I took to him. I've told him multiple times Bruce designed these amps to do this. He's old school but does have a degree and 30 years in the industry. When I got the RM100 back there was a note saying I had 2 different types of output tubes and it was not recommended. I asked him "well how do you explain the Renegade 65?" He didn't have a response for that. He's set in his ways.

Moving forward, I just added a Vengeance to the arsenal. The RM was bought by my other guitarist (he loved it so much). The tubes in it were factory and horrendously bad (tinny sounding). I wanna run EL34L's and 6550 (maybe KT88 in it. Eurotubes is my trusted source, I'll email Bob on this too. They offer a matched KT88 quad that are drop in for 6550, but they don't say anything about mixing them. The RM100 did zap and pop a fuse when it went down, but I think its cause there was so much condensation on it (literally wet from heating a cold room up quick). Anybody run one of these amps in this manor, or just all matched sets?