Whats a good clean/break up module

Forum specific news and announcements

VIP Code: MTS12VIP

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

jimw427
RM50

Whats a good clean/break up module

Post by jimw427 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 am

What is a good clean to slight break up type module? I have a Stock Deluxe module, but wondering how others compared.

I think the Super Clean is always clean correct?
How would the JF Texas Special, Randall KH1, Randall Clean, Randall Tweed, or Top boost compare, is the JF OD Special does it clean up or is it always slightly driven?

Just looking for ideas, comments and thoughts. Thanks.... Jim

webrthomson
Donating Member

Re: Whats a good clean/break up module

Post by webrthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 am

jimw427 wrote:What is a good clean to slight break up type module? I have a Stock Deluxe module, but wondering how others compared.

I think the Super Clean is always clean correct?
How would the JF Texas Special, Randall KH1, Randall Clean, Randall Tweed, or Top boost compare, is the JF OD Special does it clean up or is it always slightly driven?

Just looking for ideas, comments and thoughts. Thanks.... Jim
Hey Jim - think this should probably be in the Modules forum, none the less :)

The JF Super Clean is pretty much always clean, from spanky strat funk to mean active pickup clean - it stays clean all the way. I love mine its great!

The JF ODS can clean up somewhat if you drop the gain and don't dig in with the pick to much - it's way sensitive to the pick attack and I find the type of pickup you are using (single coil / humbucker). Very good but can take some time to dial in as the tone stack takes getting used to!

Randall Clean is fine - I found it lacked the top end I was looking for and sometimes sounded a bit blah, but it will get you by in a pinch!

Randall Top Boost - mine didn?t really clean up that much and was more like a hot AC30, good mid gain lead sound thought!

Not had a KH-1, tweed or JF Texas Special (got one on the way at the moment thought!).

Other modules worth looking out for are:
  • Stock: the BlackFace and the Deluxe - both nod to the older fender cleans (or almost cleans).

Salvation: Loneclean and Twinface are the two that jump to mind!

JF: VybeDeluxe - not too up on this one but the guys who have one seem to love it (check out the thread on the JF forum)!
Can't go wrong with the Super Clean IMHO!!!

jimw427
RM50

Post by jimw427 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am

Still a newbie to the forum, looks like I posted this in the wrong location, I'll learn wear stuff goes...... Thanks for the input.... Jim

JayDA
Lynch Box

Post by JayDA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am

JF Texas Special or Vybe Deluxe will get you there, and everywhere in between...or the Voxless if you like the "sparkly" AC30 top end.

webrthomson
Donating Member

Post by webrthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 am

jimw427 wrote:Still a newbie to the forum, looks like I posted this in the wrong location, I'll learn wear stuff goes...... Thanks for the input.... Jim
No problem Jim - welcome and enjoy BTW :)