RM4 vs. RM100

Forum specific news and announcements

VIP Code: MTS12VIP

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

BON
RM20

RM4 vs. RM100

Post by BON » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I've had this amp since it came out but i got out of music and never really used it. I'm finally back into it and playing with a band and of course continuing the the tone chase. I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is any difference in sound between the rm4 and the rm100 other than the different power tubes that the rm4 uses. My main reason for switching to the rack would be for the ease of transport because maybe I'm wrong in assuming it but wouldn't the rm4 be easier to transport for a working band? Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

Brian[/b]

riff man
RM100

yup

Post by riff man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:49 pm

An Rm4 setup( Rack) would end up being more effort than the rm100 head IMO ...you need the rm4 ...then a power amp ..... then a case...then a power conditioner... , then maybe some fx, and then ...., and then ...........
then you will need a bunch of buddies to help carry the darn rack lol..... that's what i got into 8)

i love the flexibility the RM4 rack set up gives me ...but sometimes i wish all i had to do was grab that head and i'm off !!!!
I'm bringing HEAVY back!!!!!

GtrGeorge!
Lynch Box

Bon, just my opinion...but

Post by GtrGeorge! » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm

I think its a hassle to move the Rm4 then the power amp, then the speaker cabs..then set up the cables for the entire rig.
Now granted, I am in the minority...but I feel thats more hassle than its worth..and I am a TONE FREAK.
I have pushed for a single 12 combo that holds 3 MTS modules. They dont make it yet, but I hope they will.
Until then a Rm50 is close.

BON
RM20

Post by BON » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Is there any difference in the sound between the two versions? I was thinking of keeping it all in a small. Do you know by any chance what is the difference in weight between the rm100 and the rm4+poweramp?

thanks guys

brian

nikki-k
RM100

Post by nikki-k » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Owned both, kept the RM4.

Weight? Depends on the power amp. I actually like my Mosvalve. But, I prefer darker tones. Then again, the Mosvalve can get ridiculous bright with the presence up a bit. RM4 fully loaded up.. hmm... 25lbs? Maybe 30?

I preferred the RM4 because I prefer choosing the power section, and the RM100 was impossible for me to manage (paraplegic). Typically, I simply use the pre-loop out, and use pedals up front (if desired) and rack FX in-line following (if desired).
nikki :D

Great Deals: Russ (studio289), Dave (c2ply), Geoffrey (insightibanez), GuitarGuyLP, spooch, Mikal69, Fxrfxr.. Thx!

MatrixClaw
RM20

Post by MatrixClaw » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 pm

The RM4 really has more flexibility because you can change the power amp to whatever you want. With the RM100, you're kind of stuck, thought not completely I guess.

Still, I love my RM4, lots of versatility and the unit itself is really light imo. It's my power amp that's the heavy one :lol:
? Soldano SLO100
? Soldano 2x12
? Laney GH50L
? Mesa Recto 4x12
? Jet City JCA20H
? Emperor 1x12
? Seymour Duncan Convertible

? PRS CE-22
? Gibson BFG
? Ibanez S1520