IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT KEEP CREATING NEW RIP THREADS!!!

Forum specific news and announcements

VIP Code: MTS12VIP

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

guitarguy510
Lynch Box

IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT KEEP CREATING NEW RIP THREADS!!!

Post by guitarguy510 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:46 am

Guys I didn't think I was going to have to say it but PLEASE stop creating new RIP STUDIOS threads every time you have a comment or thought about what to do, or suggestions for folks who are out money due to this guy. I'm going to lock up some of these threads, please keep posting to the ones left open okay? While I agree you guys need to do what you have to do to get your money back, having 15 threads devoted to this guy all over the forum is a bit out of hand. Thanks! 8)

Okay gents - I closed up a bunch of threads and killed a few pointless ones with 1 reply and no substance that was beneficial to the issue at hand. Please keep the comments to the ones left open that have pages of useful (for the most part I guess) information.

Here is my take on it and I hope this will help some of you guys, I'll leave this as an announcement so hopefully you all will see it and take action in a positive manner (and simultaneously curb the incessant thread-spawning about the topic)! :wink:

The info that I've seen posted by a few people that seems to match up is that this guy's contact information was as follows:

e-mail - ripstudiosnc@gmail.com
address - 224 forest hills ave
Winston Salem, Nc 27105
# - 336-602-2313

If I were in your shoes, how would I approach this? Do the following:

1) Forget Paypal. Forget that you could even have the option of filing a dispute with them. As you've already realized at this point if you filed one, they're not going to help you here and they're more than likely not going to give you your money back. It sucks and I REALLY dislike their business practices, but it is what it is at this point.

2) How did you pay? If you paid with your credit card, you're sitting pretty. Call up your credit card company ASAP. Let them know that you purchased an item and never received it. Tell them that you have your receipt with paypal and all the details that go along with it as well as I'm pretty sure they will want that info with regard to transaction numbers, etc.. It might not be a bad idea to mention that multiple folks have been scammed by this guy all at once and it is a known fact that he has no intention on making good with his sales. File (again, with your CREDIT CARD COMPANY, not with Paypal!) for a charge-back against that purchase. They will get your money back for you if you paid using their credit card.

What Paypal doesn't want you to know is that your CC company has the ability to do so even if Paypal doesn't want to let it happen. It leaves Paypal holding the bag, not you, so now that they're out the money they might investigate this issue more seriously to try to recover the funds which are now owed to them by this guy. If you didn't pay with your credit card, you're more than likely screwed, sad to say it. :(

3) With the above contact info for this guy (assuming he's actually at that location), call the LOCAL DISTRICT ATTOURNEY and/or LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT for that area in South Carolina and file a report. Let them know that you've been been the victim of internet fraud stemming from within their jurisdiction. It will also be handy to have a specific number of folks who were ripped off by this guy and a ballpark on the dollar value that you guys are out total so they can figure out what severity level they can rate the crime as.

Step 3 was a recommendation by someone with a good working knowledge of how these investigations are conducted and how the police/DA should work when this kind of crime goes down, so I HIGHLY recommend that you all gather the above information needed and each person individually files a report as a single report might not be enough to really make them work this case but when they see there are multiple records of fraud, they WILL investigate it and you should hopefully get some results finally.

I'm always saddened when something like this strikes an online community but having seen it enough times myself, I have a good grasp of how to proceed and since I've seen some pretty poor information being passed your way I wanted to take the time to give you all a good base of knowledge so you can take some useful action here. Hope that helps and I sincerely hope this will at least move you all in a positive direction towards getting your money back! :)
Last edited by guitarguy510 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.