Forum specific news and announcements
<br>
<b>VIP Code: MTS12VIP</b>

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

Lotus1
RM50

Speaker selection

Post by Lotus1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 am

Sorry , I didn't see anything for speaker cabs.I am new so bear with me.Wondering what speaker would be good with the RM 100? I have a Framus cobra cab with greenbacks in it. I am interested in maybe v-30;s or g12t-75, or a combo of both. What do you guys think ? Influences are Megadeth Metallica and other heavier stuff. Thanx

Zander
RM100

Post by Zander » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:36 pm

I was actually thinking of building my own 4x12 cab. Of course I hesitated when I saw how much a sheet of 13-ply marine birch goes for...

That said, I am still very fond of the idea and thought I might build one that would take front-loaded speakers and also build a grill that would accommodate the beam-scattering foam baffles that Julia pointed out in another thread.

Here were my thoughts on speakers to try out:
(Mind you, I'm coming from an 80's metal / 90's grunge tone mindset)

4x:
Weber Alnico Blue Dogs, moderate doping
- Of course I have a hard time justifying that sticker price and I don't think this speaker has the toneshape I'm looking for, unless I could possibly coax some early-70's Sabbath tones out of them. However, looks very versatile. This would be a distant 3rd choice.

X-Pattern:
Eminence Cannabis Rex paired with
Scumback H75
- This looks interesting to me, and while pricier than my 1st choice, is not unreasonable.

X-Pattern:
Warehouse HP (50 watt) Reaper paired with
Warehouse Veteran 30
- Given the price point and the anticipated toneshape, this is easily my first choice. My only concern is that it might be a one-trick pony, but those concerns may unfounded. Only way will be to try...

Of course now, I'm actually going to have to get off my ass, get some marine ply, and get it cut, rabbetted, glued, etc...

Of course, I could stop being such a DIY cheapskate (I actually think building it myself won't save money at the end of the day...) and just buy an empty cab and throw different speakers in it... (sigh! :( )