• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Gigmods Brown $179 SOLD
includes c/w mod, Black Faceplate, Marshall style
knobs, and reshaping of the module's tone, gain and compression to
get the coveted 'Brown sound'.
I took some yellow electrical tape and made a EVH style design on the faceplate; easily removed but it looks cool IMO...it's actually been on there for about a year and still looks solid. I also have a blackstripe faceplate I can throw in if you want it.
rare module

xtcbrownscary.jpg

Gigmods XTC $259 SOLD
new XTC pro Mod - includes c/w mod, red Faceplate, creme
chickenhead knobs, push/pull gain switch, push/pull mid shift. Has
added gain but is modded to be closer tonewise to a 2004 101B Ecstacy
This one was created around the same time M Wagner received his- good enough for Wag, good enough for you!

JF Scary $229 SOLD
includes a tight switch in place of bright. I'd like to keep it, but I'm strapped!

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7387
I've bought/sold/traded modules dozens of times on this forum.
I go by the same name on eBay and other gear sites as well with 100% feedback.

What Modules you left down to now these days?
Like trying to choose what kid your going to sell.... :lol:

Danno-

Yes, I still look at every classified and contemplate acquiring everything I see again!

Here's a thread with my current mts rig
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=65961#65961

I have a Gigmods Ultra XL (Scary faceplate) for sale in the classifieds. I was really hoping to get some cash out of the deal (job loss) but I am interested in trying out the modded XTC. Any trade possiblities?

eyeball987 said:
I have a Gigmods Ultra XL (Scary faceplate) for sale in the classifieds. I was really hoping to get some cash out of the deal (job loss) but I am interested in trying out the modded XTC. Any trade possiblities?

No thanks I need the cash...price drop bump

bump with some info from a pm response I just sent out:
What does the mod do to this Mr Scary?
There is a sharp increase in clarity, usable eq, and usable gain. There is a tight switch installed in place of the bright switch. The bright switch on all modules is useless to any tones that are low/medium to hi gain (the bright does work well for adding chime on clean tones- not the Scary's forte, thus the replacement). The tight switch changes the bass cap response from tight to a little looser. Rob (Jaded Faith) did a great job picking out bass cap values.

I owned 2 stock Scarys at other points over the years. Stock Scary is one of the cooler stock modules, but Rob's work takes it up several notches. Stock Scary has a limit on high you can set the gain before it gets flubby; eq settings get unpleasant on the stock module whereas JF Scary has a wider range of usability. Keep in mind these issues are more present in other stock modules and that stock Scary is a great tone- but make no mistake, JF Scary is a cut above.

I own a Gigmods SL+ which has been a favorite of mine for years- it is the reason I got into mts. The JF Scary can get in that ballpark, but in comparison the Gigmods SL+ has more warmth and body, the JF Scary has more aggression and edge. Not a huge difference, but that's what I hear. Scary is said to be like a SLO, which I think is an evolution on a modded Marshall. Sounds great with the mids cranked yielding that classic GLynch tone.

The price stands at $229- I'll ship it overseas for the price if you can pay via gift. No gift option means it becomes very expensive to ship with tracking, so in that case I'll look for a CONUS buyer.

FYI: there was a noise gate built in to this module, requested by another buyer- to be ON all the time. I found that this module's hi gain doesn't need that gate muffle, so I had Rob remove it completely. Upgraded tone components and tight switch remain.

SCARY on HOLD for frosty

After seeing that Gigmods Brown sell for cheap cheap, I wanted to throw up- this country's economy is officially in bad shape! This isn't some silverface stock unit!
No more price drops or bumps on Brown, I expect she will stay with me before I sink to those levels, any Gigmods is worth a lot to me. Brown is the best module for my crunch on my Strat anyway, and truth be told I like my yellow stripes, lol

Rant over, go about your business

I was the one that bought that Gigmods Brown, Ray, and I was shocked that no other bids were put in on it. I had set a price higher than the starting bid by a good clip, and *no one* bid on it. I've been thinking about this, trying to figure out why these pro-modded modules are taking a little dip in value right now. I honestly haven't reasoned it out, beyond thinking that there might be a newer crowd of MTS users that simply don't know the value that having Pete or Anthony or Rob or any of the other pro modders work on these modules adds to the module, both in terms of sound and dollar value. I got the Gigmods Brown a couple days ago, and it is a brilliant module - quite possibly my 2nd favorite, behind my prized Salvation Dr. Feelgood. I'm sure it's a subtle combination of many factors, the economy probably being the largest, but it's a strange time in the MTS scene right now. I imagine once Randall starts pumping out the new modules and hopefully turn more people on to this innovative line they have (and the economy balances out), that we'll start seeing more movement and reasonable value on these modules again

Congrats on the Brown! I haven't even heard it's full potential, Right now my Les Pauls sound good, but I'd love to hear a more EVH guitar

I'm eyeing up an axe like the newer Charvel San Dimas with maple fretboard-it should be an excellent combo

Bump 4 some great modules....Heh Ray...You're certainly one of the long term tone experts here....I have a question.....I have a JF Scary which I love...Fat/Warm/tight ect.....then I also have a JF Brahma which is pretty thin by comparison and not as warm....Is the Gigmods SL+ as fat sounding as the JF Scary??...and is the Gigmods Brown as fat sounding?...I use LP type guitars....thankx

HeyRod

I think the Gigmods SL+ in the 800 position has more full bodied warmth and a sweeter lead tone. JFScary seems to have more aggression-edge and cut- which for some is more desired for leads...that being said, you can dial in tones that are similar. If i take the Scary and boost the mids, cut the treble, it will give that warm lead tone too. I always preferred BLS & Aerosmith to Dokken and Ratt, and that best describes the sub niche these Marshall mods deliver

Gigmds Brown has a bit less gain, but even more lo mid warmth- fantastic for leads or that hybrid lead rhythm of EVH. Gigmods have a signature warmth and lead solo organic nature & this Brown oozes it. Being a hi gain head, I'll hit it with a clean boost and can get modern hard rock.
Brown cons: played with Les Paul, it goes too far warm on hi gain settings, needs a boost to give it edge
pros: it absolutely rules on non Gibson guitars, lead tone is inspiring

Can the Gigmods Brown be dialed in to get some good 1984/5150 tones?

Pete mentioned VHII as the album it most closely resembles
If you have a maple neck VH style axe it will be a great combo; tapping skills help too!
I'm not sure what the tonal changes are to get to 1985/5150- I think the Brown is a good jump off point, maybe add a slight od will get you there