• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

THANK YOU POLAR PLUNGE SUPPORTERS! VIDEOS!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
I know this is the incorrect forum for this post but I also know that this is the one section everyone reads.

So, without further delay, I am closing in on a decade of diving into a frozen Michigan lake in February to raise money for a cause very near and dear to my heart. Special Olympics.

When I'm not posting silliness all over this site, my life's work is teaching/coaching individuals with special needs. My program now has 5 full basketball teams operated entirely by volunteers. We raise money in ridiculous ways so that we can get our cause in the media and fill our accounts with money to cover expenses such as travel, uniforms, and accomodations for teams that make it to higher levels of competition.

Last year many of you guys helped with a donation and that money litrerally went to help my team get to the state finals in basketball. These guys stayed in a hotel, were treated like stars, and had so much fun I can't even explain it. What I'm trying to say is that most of my athletes don't get to enjoy vacations, travel, etc. Your donations are our main way of providing these opportunities. You will not find a more appreciative bunch I can assure you!

I don't want to ramble more than I already have but if you want any more info, I am most happy to provide it.

You can donate here...
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/MattFigurski/belleville2013

Here's a video of one of our athletes and I going in in 2011. This way you can see the craziness of this event. We have 2 police divers in the water and two outside for safety and we go for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0c5zulz5k

Thanks guys!!!

Update:

This video is the entire plunge...My team consists of the first three (two athletes and a coach), the three girls in black, my group in suits, and the superman gang behind us..It was a blast...

FWIW, I don't know where "Stanley" even came from...He just showed up in line a went in...I heard it was a cop on a bet...Nonetheless funny...My jump is at 3:30 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4MFzlgzJyM

Since you're dipping your a** in that freezing pond for charity, I'll take the "first plunge" in supporting your cause. I don't envy you buddy, but definitely admire you. Great thing you're doing Matt!

If I remember correctly, you recieved quite an outpouring of support from the folks here last year. Lots and lots of good dudes on this forum. Hopefully your campaign blows the socks off of last year's!

seanh303 said:
Since you're dipping your a** in that freezing pond for charity, I'll take the "first plunge" in supporting your cause. I don't envy you buddy, but definitely admire you. Great thing you're doing Matt!

If I remember correctly, you recieved quite an outpouring of support from the folks here last year. Lots and lots of good dudes on this forum. Hopefully your campaign blows the socks off of last year's!

Wow man....Very kind of you to make such a generous donation...Quite honestly, I don't even know what to say. That is rare!
But you are proof that this is a special forum with some amazing people!
On behalf of the athletes, parents and coaches - sincere thanks.

Mattfig said:
Wow man....Very kind of you to make such a generous donation...Quite honestly, I don't even know what to say. That is rare!
But you are proof that this is a special forum with some amazing people!
On behalf of the athletes, parents and coaches - sincere thanks.
You're totally welcome Matt! But the truth is, the thanks is owed to you, for your passion and dedication to children in need, and what you do for them and their families everyday. It's a privelage to be a small part of what you're doing, and again, we have you to thank for that. So thanks bro! Keep kickin a** & freezin balls for those kids, you da man!

I'm happy to announce that one of my players will be competing in the World Games in 2013 in South Korea. As a snowboarder!!!

Yes, these athletes have cognitive impairments. I wanted to post this to show how much hard work and heart can elevate an individual to any height to which they aspire. He works out constantly, listens to every word of advice, and is not afraid to fail. His mind works slower than most in conversations, schoolwork, etc. Yet the drive to succeed has allowed his physical skills to take over and excel!!!!

This is a kid who comes from a rough background and still lives a rough life. He simply believed in himself, stayed focused on training, and made it happen. On his own.

Thanks fellas...And special thanks to Jace and Ron for contributing...You guys are too nice...

Don't get me wrong, these guys are cool as hell...I'm the lucky one...I get to work with and coach people I genuinely respect and love.

And sports teams are sports teams...There's a lot of the same you would expect ...I just finished practice with my top Men's team (State Finalists last year) :) Athletes range from 17-25 . (Special Education students can go to school through age 26 in Michigan) So these are "guys." They have special needs but they'll be the first to bust your balls. And they will absolutely run you ragged on the court...It's a funny thing as I assemble groups of friends or teachers to scrimmage and they're all winking and "we'll take it easy on them" comments are easy to hear. Until they get their asses kicked all over by the special olympians...They come to play...We have teams of all levels and most are mixed sexes so it's fun and more social...Some games are pretty funny as the players don't care if they win or lose. We have some characters too, believe me. But there are all levels.

The fun is the out of town tournaments. Dances with thousands of athletes from all over the place- all having fun and being accepting of one another without thinking twice. It's very beautiful and I try to learn from it. They get to stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, just experience things I had begun to take for granted. They take it all in and smile the whole time. I wish I personally "got it." I know it sounds weird but there is a peace that runs through those events that I have yet to experience elsewhere. There is general acceptance and it should exist in more places.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting again and go chill out. I'm all hyped up for this stupid plunge now. It's all the players talk about. They find it hilarious. They are right.

Thanks JonnyB both for the bump and donation...

You guys are amazing...

$975 raised JUST FROM THIS FORUM so far! I am so blown away by all your support that I can't even put it properly into words..

Also, in case you are wondering why only you guys have donated thus far...I have an athlete plunging again this year so all my family and staff donations go to his account for the next week or two still...Then we make our final push and open up to everyone...

But this just shows what a unique online community we have here...Such generosity from all around the world for a Special Olympics program from Michigan!!! Amazing...Truly amazing...

I know I tend to be wordy so I'll stop there... :D