• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Plexi / Blackface modules up for sale/trade

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal archer

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have been reading up on this forum for a few weeks and just received my new RM100 last night. I have found this forum to be very informative and it was the main reason for my purchase. I am pleased with the XTC as I knew I would be but I don't like the Plexi module and am still undecided about the Blackface. I would like to sell either or both or trade them for a new version of the XTC or 1086. So if anyone is interested, just contact me.

I PM'd about the Blackface module...could you post pictures?

Not sure there is a new version of the XTC.

Also- try the Plexi as your clean module. That said the XTC is great for mid-gain rhythm stuff.

I agree with ned, try the Plexi as your clean. You can actually have the gain at 12 and just roll back the volume nob for your clean sound. It is very warm and full.

Thanks for the advice. I will try the Plexi for a clean tone and see what happens. The Blackface is going for sure. Is the 1086 worth it? A PM was sent about the picture. On another topic. I am having a huge dilemma with effects. I am not sure to go with pedals or the Xpression. I have G.A.S. real bad and would like to break the vicious cycle once and for all. I want something truly transparent due to the fact that I really am pleased with the XTC module. I use minimal effects. Some delay, chorus, eq, volume boost for solos. I was thinking Boss GE-7 & Tech 21 DLA analog delay or the Xpression. Any advice on my idea or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chasing shadows said:
I agree with ned, try the Plexi as your clean. You can actually have the gain at 12 and just roll back the volume nob for your clean sound. It is very warm and full.

The Plexi can be used for cleans, but settings vary. Having gain at noon and turning down guitar volume won't work with all setups. Depends on how hot your pickups are, how hot your preamp tubes are, overall volume level, etc.

metal archer said:
I am having a huge dilemma with effects. I am not sure to go with pedals or the Xpression. I have G.A.S. real bad and would like to break the vicious cycle once and for all. I want something truly transparent due to the fact that I really am pleased with the XTC module. I use minimal effects. Some delay, chorus, eq, volume boost for solos. I was thinking Boss GE-7 & Tech 21 DLA analog delay or the Xpression. Any advice on my idea or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For delay, I love the Boss DD-20....it is extremely versatile and can also be used as a chorus pedal. For EQ, I use a Dano Fish & Chips.....a GE-7 would probably work fine as well.

Got home and tried the Plexi for clean but it is still to much gain . I have a Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 pickup in the bridge and it appears to be too hot. I appreciate the tip. It seems that both modules will go. If not here in the next few days, then ebay. How is the Vox for pure clean ? Also is the XTC a little noisy? The Plexi at full gain is whisper quiet but the XTC is noisy even with the gain at 5. Not horrible, but noticable. It has the constant buzz or hum. I am wondering if that is normal. Mod or new tubes ?

What exactly don't you like about the Blackface? It's a great module for cleans, IMO!

I haven't noticed my XTC being overly noisy.

I am not able to get the sound I want out of it. I don't think it is horrible but it's one of those things that can't always be well described. I'll keep messing with it. I am not real big on clean tones anyway but I need one for my band. I think the Lynch Super V sounds good in its description. I might also try to replace the Plexi with the Lynch Mr Scary. The only problem I have with the Plexi is that I like more gain which it does not provide. At least not now without a modificaiton. I keep tying to find sound clips of the signature models and have failed. I have checked links on this sight and many of them are unavailable. I would like to hear the Lynch series and 1086 simple clips if anyone can help with some links.

Have you tried pushing your Plexi mod with a clean boost or even moderate overdrive, it could maybe get you where you want gain wise ?
This module is very responsive to pedals pushing it.

Also you might want to give a try to the SL+ if you can, as it has more gain than the Plexi and is more marshall sounding than the XTC since it's voiced differently.

Plexi is a really good module for me to use, very versatile, from clean (very good clean in fact) to crunch, interacts nicely with the guitars i use, in fact i wouldn't mind using 2 and the XTC in my RM100 ...

But in the end it all depends on your preferences and needs.

For effects, some guys on tis forum are using the series effect loop for that (pedals) but with different results, you'll want to look at something like this though to match your levels http://www.ebtechaudio.com/lls-2des.html.

Do a search on this forum to find out their opinions on this subject.

Hope that helps

Claude

I think I might go with the SL +. I really don't want to use a pedal to overdrive the amp. I just want enough gain without any enhancement, with the exception of an eq in the fx loop. Maybe someone might want to trade. Thank you for the input. I wil check out the link.
Joe

I think the the Xpression would be well suited for your effects needs. Most folks consider it to be much more transparent than a bunch of pedals, as well as comparable multi-effects units like the G Major.

You don't get much in the way of radical effects, but the basic stuff like delays/choruses/etc is good. I particularily like the phasers. You also get a very versatile parametric EQ (I use this a lot), which you can use to fine tune your tone and/or create a volume boost. And don't forget built in HUSH noise reduction, which should silence with your noisy XTC module.

On the downside, I think the Xpression could be a little easier to program. For example, each time you activate the delay effect, it actually brings up two delays, each with its own set of adjustable parameters....sometimes you waste time adjusting Delay # 1's parameters when it is actually Delay # 2 that you are hearing! I'm also not too impressed with the Xpression's flanger.

Overall, I think it's a really good deal for the person who doesn't need radical effects and doesn't want a bunch of pedals on the floor (that would be me). It also only costs as much as about 3 pedals. Just be prepared to put some programming time in up front.

Gary